Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Feb 21, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

Annual leave

DS24 works in hospitality so is furloughed until May. He's had a letter from his employer saying 7 days of this years leave have been allocated to March. So this leaves him with 21 days annual leave. I have always counted my leave in days but the government website says minimum of 5.6 weeks leave , assuming they are counting Monday to Friday as a standard working week.
DS works fulltime , weekends, evenings, bank holidays included. He has approximately 2 days off in 7 , but his days off change each week and he often went 7+ days between days off.
So, for a standard 2 week holiday starting on Saturday and finishing on Sunday how many days leave would he need to use ?
I'm guessing the government Monday - Friday = 1 week doesn't apply.
I'm worrying that he won't have enough leave for our week in May plus 2 weeks in November.
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 21, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ali-s View Post
DS24 works in hospitality so is furloughed until May. He's had a letter from his employer saying 7 days of this years leave have been allocated to March. So this leaves him with 21 days annual leave. I have always counted my leave in days but the government website says minimum of 5.6 weeks leave , assuming they are counting Monday to Friday as a standard working week.
DS works fulltime , weekends, evenings, bank holidays included. He has approximately 2 days off in 7 , but his days off change each week and he often went 7+ days between days off.
So, for a standard 2 week holiday starting on Saturday and finishing on Sunday how many days leave would he need to use ?
I'm guessing the government Monday - Friday = 1 week doesn't apply.
I'm worrying that he won't have enough leave for our week in May plus 2 weeks in November.
When does his leave year run from and to? (I’m wondering when it refreshes)

If they do it in days I’d guess 10 days for the two week period but it would depend on his shift allocation.
Old 25 Feb 21, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Mikeandrach
Getting Excited

Bear in mind the govt figure includes bank holidays in the assumption you don’t work them.

If you do work them you’re entitled to days in lieu and or paid overtime usually
Mikeandrach is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 21, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
When does his leave year run from and to? (I’m wondering when it refreshes)

If they do it in days I’d guess 10 days for the two week period but it would depend on his shift allocation.
1st January to 31st December

I'm wondering if the 28 days ( inc bank holidays) is only relevant to a 5 day working week and he would get 5.6 full 7 day weeks. So a 2 week holiday Saturday to Sunday inclusive would be 2.something weeks ?
But would that tally with 7 days leave being allocated for the first quarter of the year.? I'm confused.
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report

Edited at 08:27 PM.
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 21, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

I'm wondering if the 28 days ( inc bank holidays) is only relevant to a 5 day working week and he would get 5.6 full 7 day weeks. So a 2 week holiday Saturday to Sunday inclusive would be 2.something weeks ?
But would that tally with 7 days leave being allocated for the first quarter of the year.? I'm confused.
I guess the 7 days out of 28 is exactly a quarter of the allocation and the fact they are insisting 7 days is taken in Q1 is as blunt a tool as that? (A quarter of the year and a quarter of the allocation)
Old 25 Feb 21, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne
VIP Dibber

Maximum statutory holiday allowance is 28 days. Doesn't matter if you work 5, 6 or 7 days a week as far as I know.
Anne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 21, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Mikeandrach
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Anne View Post
Maximum statutory holiday allowance is 28 days. Doesn't matter if you work 5, 6 or 7 days a week as far as I know.
There is no,maximum, only a minimum.

It can be pro ratad to, so if you get say 20 days plus the bank holidays if full time, someone doing 3 days out of 5 would get 12 days plus the bank holidays
Mikeandrach is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 21, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandobelle
VIP Dibber

Orlandobelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
5.6 weeks is the equivalent of 28 days.
This is the minimum (statutory) leave & can include bank hols. The figure is based on 4 weeks + 8 Bank hols but does not have to include the actual public holiday dates (ie you would get a day in lieu if you worked a bank hol)

If he's not working regular days then the allowance still applies - he could pick and chose when to take leave to take advantage of the rest days built into his tota

Edited at 10:47 PM.
Orlandobelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 21, 12:35 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

5.6 weeks is 28 days and this may or may not include bank holidays.
There is some clarity needed on hours as I have seen it worked out at 28 x 7 hours but also 28 x ?hours, for example if you always work 10 hours it is 28 x10. Though bank holidays are shorter.

I assume he works 5 out of 7 each week so if he is able to request days off he could try to have the weekend as days off, then 10 annual leave days
Old 26 Feb 21, 01:19 AM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Here is calculator on HMRC. You can input hours worked or days per week. Easy to use. gov.uk/calculate-your-holiday-entitlement
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List