Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 20 Nov 16, 01:06 AM  
Link to this Post
mumx3
Imagineer

mumx3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Only just seen your post, I have a son with DS he is 23 now and the most wonderful human being, he is my middle child, his DS was a complete shock to us.

Having a child with DS is harder, things take longer to learn but boy when they learn them the feeling you have is undescribable.

My son went through main stream school and college, he now works a couple days a week and has a very busy social life and girlfriend

There is a lot of support out there, take your time and just enjoy your pregnancy.
Having a child with DS is harder but watching them develop and achieve is a journey that I am so glad I got to go on, they really are not so different.
My other two children adore him, I think it has made them more caring and acceptable of others, one works part time with DS adults.

If you want to ask me anything please do, happy to help.

Take care xxx
2003 Xmas..Blue Tree Resort..2007 Xmas..Villa Kissimmee..2008..Mauritius..2009..Marriott Cypress Harbour..2010..CA Road Trip & Xmas in Vegas..2012..Xmas Mauritius..2013.Mauritius..2014.Poland..2015..Canada
2016..New York. & Lanzerote..2017.Caribbean cruise.. 2018..Prague...2018 Turkey...2019 Dubai..2019 India
mumx3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 16, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi, it has been ages since I have been on the dibb, but our eldest son is 10 years old and has DS.

The last 10 years have been a rollercoaster ride - lots of challenges, and lots of joy as well. Although the challenges may be more extreme at times, they have not been that different to the ones we have with our younger neurotypical son. The joys though have been wonderful. When you know how much your child has had to work to achieve something, it makes the achievement seem so much greater!

We have been to WDW 3 times, and our son is the biggest Disney fan going

I am glad you have found some local support groups. There is also the down's syndrome association who have a lot of good literature on their site and great people on the end of a phone. Also, if you are on facebook, have a look for the 'future of downs' group, who are fab!

Take care xx
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 17, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Johnsonsontour
Apprentice Imagineer

Johnsonsontour's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Just seen this post so not sure where your at with things now but... Congratulations!
My DD is now 17 & has Down Syndrome.
It's NOT an illness as some people like to describe it, she's perfectly well thank you! Yes, as a result of her syndrome, she sometimes has difficulty in the way she learns compared to her peers! Is she loving & was she a gift to me? Nope, like anybody, she likes who she likes & can be a complete pain in the butt like any other child & young person & isn't every baby a gift? There are varying levels of learning ability within the syndrome, but then that's normal with ANY child. Enjoy your baby when they arrive & put everything into them like you would with ANY child. Stay positive, there will be Ups & Downs but it makes you stronger & more determined to help them succeed! My DD went to mainstream school & now mainstream college, she is now looking for work experience. Given the opportunity, people with DS can thrive!
Message me anytime!
Sunset Lakes - Villa Aug 2015, Aug 2016 Oct 2017 Oct 2019
Johnsonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
lady emz
Imagineer

lady emz's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Thank you all for your advice and support. Jackson is now 5 months old and doing amazingly well. It's been tough at times but I'm lucky to have the support of great friends and family who keep me positive.

We're off to WDW next month and I can't wait to see his little face there. His smile melts my heart every single time and I am so proud every time he learns something new. No matter how small it may be!

His big brother loves him so much too always running in to see him in the morning and wanting to hold him, im a lucky mummy and can't wait to take my boys to the Magic now after the worry of the last year xxx
WDW (We love split stays!) - May 2011 - POR/BLT, Mar 2012 - Dibb Villa, Oct 2012 - SSR/GF/DCL/BLT, Apr 2013 - CSR/WL, Nov 2013 - BWV/AKL/DCL/OKW, May 2015 - OKW, November 2015 - ASMu, November 2016 - BCV/Poly
DLP - Oct 2008 - SL, Nov 2011 - Cheyenne, Nov 2014 - Cheyenne

Christmas in the Magic Dec 2015
Will We Make A Rope Drop?! - Apr/May 2013
Mr & Mrs V's Wishes Wedding and Disneymoon - October 2012
Our First Magical Trip - May 2011

lady emz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by lady emz View Post
Thank you all for your advice and support. Jackson is now 5 months old and doing amazingly well. It's been tough at times but I'm lucky to have the support of great friends and family who keep me positive.

We're off to WDW next month and I can't wait to see his little face there. His smile melts my heart every single time and I am so proud every time he learns something new. No matter how small it may be!

His big brother loves him so much too always running in to see him in the morning and wanting to hold him, im a lucky mummy and can't wait to take my boys to the Magic now after the worry of the last year xxx
Nice to see your post and glad things are going well. Hope he enjoys his first trip as well as his big brother.
Old 10 Sep 17, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

What a lovely update - thank you for sharing!
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Thank you for the update, I have often thought of you and wondered how you were getting on (although you sounded so strong i was confident you would be fine). Enjoy your trip
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

I'm so pleased to read everything is going well for you all, hope you all have a wonderful holiday x
Bazinga 39 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
jen10
Excited about Disney

Congratulations on the birth of Jackson, I hope you all have a magical holiday at Disney with your fabulous family!
jen10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

Congratulations on Jackson. Have an amazing family holiday xx
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List