Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 24 Apr 17, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
baldybouncer
slightly serious Dibber

Another car seat question...

Have a 4 (nearly 5) year old needing a booster seat for October this year. My question is - does anyone know of any 'approved' seats that can be bought in the UK?

We have seats but happy to buy one for the holiday but need to know what is suitable! - We have taken our own seats previously but I believe the law has recently changed and is alot more strict...
Old 25 Apr 17, 06:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Hi. Do you mean the law in the UK or the US?

If you mean the US then all you need to comply with is this:-

1. For children aged through 3 years, such restraint device must be a separate carrier or a vehicle manufacturer’s integrated child seat.
2. For children aged 4 through 5 years, a separate carrier, an integrated child seat, or a child booster seat may be used.

For the UK it's this:-

Current UK law states that all children must use the correct seat when travelling in a car until they are 12 years old or 135cm tall. New regulations are expected to come into effect in March 2017 which will change that, meaning backless booster seats will only be approved for older children.
Under the new rules, backless booster seats or booster cushions will only be approved for use by children taller than 125cm and weighing more than 22kg. Currently children as young as 3, or 15kg, are able to use a backless booster seat. The new rules that are expected to come into effect later this year mean backless booster seats will no longer be approved for young children.

I assume this new UK law has come into effect but don't know as my Children are 30 & 28!
But I do know that for a 4 thru 5 yr old a backless booster is fine for Florida.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 17, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
baldybouncer
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Hi. Do you mean the law in the UK or the US?

If you mean the US then all you need to comply with is this:-

1. For children aged through 3 years, such restraint device must be a separate carrier or a vehicle manufacturer’s integrated child seat.
2. For children aged 4 through 5 years, a separate carrier, an integrated child seat, or a child booster seat may be used.

For the UK it's this:-

Current UK law states that all children must use the correct seat when travelling in a car until they are 12 years old or 135cm tall. New regulations are expected to come into effect in March 2017 which will change that, meaning backless booster seats will only be approved for older children.
Under the new rules, backless booster seats or booster cushions will only be approved for use by children taller than 125cm and weighing more than 22kg. Currently children as young as 3, or 15kg, are able to use a backless booster seat. The new rules that are expected to come into effect later this year mean backless booster seats will no longer be approved for young children.

I assume this new UK law has come into effect but don't know as my Children are 30 & 28!
But I do know that for a 4 thru 5 yr old a backless booster is fine for Florida.
Thanks

It's this bit - that is not clear:

What is a child booster seat then? -- If I buy one from Halfords in the UK will it be ok in the uS?
Old 25 Apr 17, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
feelingnuts
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

My understanding is that a UK child booster seat is fine in the US. We took our trunki boost pack and used that for our 5 year old.
feelingnuts is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 06:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by baldybouncer View Post
Thanks

What is a child booster seat then? -- If I buy one from Halfords in the UK will it be ok in the uS?
As above. My understanding also is that a standard UK booster is fine.

Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

No need to buy anything special. We went every year from them being babies, across multiple States and just used UK ones. Don't hire one there as it costs a fortune (rip off like sat nav).
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

In theory any type of car seat in any state in US must be federally approved.
However never heard of any issues with UK car seats in US if federally approved or not.
However the legal definition requires it be federally approved,would anyone ever check this?
Bit like the Brits book for me.
Enjoy.
Old 26 Apr 17, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
baldybouncer
slightly serious Dibber

thanks everyone - Its been two years since we last went and the rules have got more strict.
Old 26 Apr 17, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Kazorina
Earning More Ears

Originally Posted by baldybouncer View Post
Thanks

I was/am confused by this as well, we leave on Sunday and my youngest is not long 4. Here she sits in a booster with a high back.. I have an old one which I was going to take but realised today the back bit seems to be missing some padding, so was just going to take the booster/seat part. Hoping this will be ok?
Kazorina is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Kazorina View Post
I was/am confused by this as well, we leave on Sunday and my youngest is not long 4. Here she sits in a booster with a high back.. I have an old one which I was going to take but realised today the back bit seems to be missing some padding, so was just going to take the booster/seat part. Hoping this will be ok?
That will be fine.