Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 26 Feb 17, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
pers5579
Proud to wear my Ears

Would you do August with ASD child?

Hi All,

My ASD son (5) is Disney/Universal mad and absolutely loves theme park rides. But absolutely hates queues - becomes distressed, starts lashing out, etc.

We are currently planning a trip in October 18 or February 19 (half term). We were thinking this would be a good travel time as the temperatures are better for him and queues would be (slightly) shorter.

But after discussions with other parents, it seems as though half term + 1 week off school may not be acceptable to the school/LEA.

There is no issue with our being able to travel in August, I just thought this would be a bad time with hotter temperatures (he does not do well with this) and the queues. Have any of you been in August - is it bearable? Am I overthinking August?

Thanks.
pers5579 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 17, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

It's more the humidity that makes the weather a bit tricky for some in August. It's never really bothered me as I like it hot but as you say, it could be tricky for your son.

If you go the last 2 weeks in August though you might find the queues aren't as much of an issue as the American kids are all back to school. We've previously been in the last 2 weeks and the queues were no problem.

I think careful planning of your itinerary would really help you & your son in this case, particularly use of the Fast Pass system.

Also I know you said in your other post you prefer villas but have you considered staying onsite? That way you could make use of the extra hours to get rides in without a lot of queueing and you'd be able to book your FPs at 60 days out to get better times to suit you. Added to that some hotel locations would offer you the opportunity to get our of the parks for a break at the height of the day (queues & heat-wise) and retreat back to the room / pool for a bit.

It certainly does become trickier when you have so many factors to consider and are limited to school holidays!
Old 26 Feb 17, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
*cath*
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
We have a 13yr old with ASD and definitely would not do August. He would not cope with it being that busy. We went in May and he coped well but we did get the disability pass so got to the front of most queues when we encountered them.

2023 - Orlando/Gulf Coast
2024 - Menorca & Malta
2025 - Norwegian Fjords and Boston/NY
*cath* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 17, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
orlando10
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi
You should be able to use GAC card which would help with queues, as you will be given a time to return to the ride.
Have you considered Easter holidays, we have been twice at Easter and going again, it can be busy but we found visiting early in the morning sometimes returning in the evening and using the gac card we didn't queue very much at all.
Depending on when easter falls the weather is lovely and very good for doing the parks.
DLP 2016, 2018
orlando10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 17, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
amandajane10
Imagineer

amandajane10's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We went at Easter with our 2 (both ASD) and the weather was great. We had DAS passes at all the theme parks and got a disabled parking permit before we went. We also booked TSA cares for assistance at MCO Airport. We are going in May this year. I dont think mine would cope in August.
Villa Holiday May 2018
Planning Easter 2020
amandajane10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 17, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
pers5579
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Ok we may have to rethink and have look at Easter
pers5579 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 17, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
ILoveDaveLamb
Imagineer

Hi there.

We have done 7 visits in August with our son who has ASD and learning difficulties. Admittedly not as young as age 5. If you go for the second half of the month, as long as you go at your son's pace and break when you have had enough for a swim or a nap, I think you will be fine.

It is hot, but all the buildings have air con.

We are limited to August due to my work, but if you are tempted, do your research and go for it.

The GAC and Fastpass take the pain away when needed. We have so many great memories from our August Hols. You have to fill the 6 weeks somehow and there are much worse ways than a fortnight in WDW.

Have a fabulous trip. Xx
Old 5 Mar 17, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
lawe
VIP Dibber

lawe's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Both my boys are ASD and ADHD and we have been twice.

First was in 2012 travelling Mid - May and the ages then were 10 and 6.
Weather was great and although hot was really nice.

We then went again last year travelling in the last two week of August.
Weather was hot and humid but not unbearable with the odd day of rain, one whole day and some 20 minute bursts.

Our youngest is one who cannot cope with queues unless he has fallen in love with a ride then it's ride, ride and ride! Well that was Transformers.

With the help GAS cards from both parks it all worked well and as for crowds we scored lucky on both times. I would love to do May again but as my kids are older and with our eldest now into exams this rules out what we would do.

I have heard a lot about Easter but I would certainly entertain going mid August again.

May 2012, August 2016 Lake Berkley Resort
June 2024 booked back to Lake Berkley
lawe is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 17, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyBride08
Apprentice Imagineer

We thought we would have to go in August due to school holidays etc. To be honest I was more worried about our toddler being OK at that time of year rather than our son who has Autism. He will be seven when we go. We have actually had term time holiday approved so we are going in October/November over the half term too. If we go back in future years we will be looking at going in the summer holidays.

1996 WDW Offsite / 2001 DLP HNY / 2002 WDW ASM / 2004 DLP NB / 2008 Our Wedding Trip WDW POFQ & GF / 2009 - WDW CSR / 2010 DLP with bump! NB / 2012 WDW AKL / 2013 DLP HC

Our 2017 return DCL / BC / Universal HRH Vlogs
DisneyBride08 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 17, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
pigginpink
Apprentice Imagineer

We took our three children on of which is Autistic at the time he loved the villa we stayed in and the pool, was okay going shopping for a while but not too long, he didn't like the parks even though we had the GAS pass card as he couldn't cope with all the extra noise, so the next year we visited my husband and son didn't do the parks I did them with the other ones so they didn't miss out, now he is 23 and you wouldn't get him there at all x
pigginpink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List