Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 10 Mar 17, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Moogles Smith
slightly serious Dibber

We are in a slightly different position in that we bought in 2 years ago, having never stayed onsite in 23 visits between us. (im 37, wife 32)

We have always stayed offsite so to us, we are new to the on-site experience and we are looking forward to staying at all the resorts and what comes with them.

We have stayed at the Poly, SSR and AK in the past 12 months and have enjoyed exploring the resorts, pools, activities, transportation etc and we are booked in at BC for August, which again will give us a completely different onsite experience to the above 3.

It's the parks that we have become bored with.
I'm sure even to our 5 year old, who has just returned from her 6th visit herself, seeing the same rides, character meets etc etc might become 'boring' and 'samey'.

I can totally understand people feeling the way they do though.

DVC Owner - Polynesian
Moogles Smith is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 17, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I can't see us selling but I have just had a quick 2 mins on the calculator and worked out what our contracts are worth
That would fund many many years of vacations should we so wish.

The dining onsite is the killer and we do it for 70 nights a year. All being well we intend to slip a 4th trip in next year and try LBV or even a Villa, That will be different.
I did suggest Boston but my Wife wants sun and relaxation.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 17, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Not fallen out of love with Florida, dont particially want to visit Theme Parks. We are planning in going back and dd 14 wants a few Disney Park Days because we only did TL,US, IOA last year. We would love to just eat out and Chill at Anna Maria Island, enjoy the pool at the Villa and do a bit of shopping and sightseeing. If it wasnt for dd wanting Disney we probably wouldnt bother. I actually want to visit New York, Germany, Italian Lakes, The Caribbean again, think we might leave Florida alone after our next visit. I never thought I would say that, but theres a big World out there and It needs exploring by me!
Old 10 Mar 17, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I can't see us selling but I have just had a quick 2 mins on the calculator and worked out what our contracts are worth
Exactly! Doing that is what has taken me down the considering selling route, I never bought in with any intention of selling or thinking of it as an investment, but it certainly would be if I sold now, I bought in in 2002 & 2003 at around $69/74 a point!

I'm thinking that it'd be a great deposit on a villa in the canaries where we could hop over for the weekend, shortish flight, no jet lag, year round sunshine and great diving. Florida is never going to be somewhere we go for less than a week.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 17, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
The way we've used our points has definitely evolved as the kids have grown, the last few years just going out for a week, in 2014 & 2015 we didn't do any WDW parks at all (other than to do Divequest), just stayed at AKL for a week and did Universal.

I do worry that i'd regret selling, having had it for so long, I do take it for granted.

It's weighing up whether we'd be better off as cash visitors every few years & selling while it's still mid contract and probably at it's peak value wise, or just keeping it, using it every 3 years or loaning / renting the points which was always the original intention when buying in.
One of the reasons we've sold our OKW contract is because of it losing value in the future. It's not an extended one either. It's cheaper to stay as a cash booking with free DDP, if we want to stay there in the future. Although now we've sold, it will probably all change lol

I can't see us selling our BLT contracts though, they are enough points for us and we'll rent them out if we don't use them.

The cost of dining onsite is astronomical, especially for families. Over the years we've eaten onsite less and less.
Old 10 Mar 17, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moogles Smith View Post
We are in a slightly different position in that we bought in 2 years ago, having never stayed onsite in 23 visits between us. (im 37, wife 32)

We have always stayed offsite so to us, we are new to the on-site experience and we are looking forward to staying at all the resorts and what comes with them.

We have stayed at the Poly, SSR and AK in the past 12 months and have enjoyed exploring the resorts, pools, activities, transportation etc and we are booked in at BC for August, which again will give us a completely different onsite experience to the above 3.

It's the parks that we have become bored with.
I'm sure even to our 5 year old, who has just returned from her 6th visit herself, seeing the same rides, character meets etc etc might become 'boring' and 'samey'.

I can totally understand people feeling the way they do though.
The resorts are gorgeous, enjoy, we've certainly loved staying at a few of them over the years, never had a bad experience and I love the diversity of them all.

We've really loved staying at AKL, making the most of the savannah and going off site each day, it's a great base for that imo as you're not surrounded by WDW / can't see the parks from the resort. A very different experience you can still have with points.

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 17, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
Exactly! Doing that is what has taken me down the considering selling route, I never bought in with any intention of selling or thinking of it as an investment, but it certainly would be if I sold now, I bought in in 2002 & 2003 at around $69/74 a point!

I'm thinking that it'd be a great deposit on a villa in the canaries where we could hop over for the weekend, shortish flight, no jet lag, year round sunshine and great diving. Florida is never going to be somewhere we go for less than a week.
Keep in mind though that any profit in selling is liable for 15% tax.
Old 10 Mar 17, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BarryandCaron View Post
The cost of dining onsite is astronomical, especially for families. Over the years we've eaten onsite less and less.
At the risk of sounding like an old person moaning about the good old days, I do REALLY miss the pre DDP years when you could just wander into a restaurant and eat when you were hungry without the need to book it 6 months in advance. The restaurants weren't rammed, they weren't astronomical and I guess they were a whole lot less profitable to WDW than they are now.

Old 10 Mar 17, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BarryandCaron View Post
Keep in mind though that any profit in selling is liable for 15% tax.
Oh gawd, good point! *sigh*

Old 10 Mar 17, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
I never thought I would say that, but theres a big World out there and It needs exploring by me!
Exactly, you enjoy exploring it. We've made some incredible memories over the last few years. Whilst we've also had amazing times in WDW they're not what stand out when we reminisce.