Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 10 Mar 17, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
kirkdalewdw
Imagineer

I have to say we haven't missed Disney World over the last 18 months since we did a proper visit. We visited MK in Feb, but only because we did the DAH event, didn't miss any of the other parks and hated the fact it is a building site.

We have been more to California in the last few visits and find that Disneyland is more suited to us, as it is smaller and has the feel of Disney of old, plus you dont need to book anything 6 months out !

We are off to get married in Orlando in October and taking the family, i think though, this could be a last visit to the World for a few years
kirkdalewdw is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 17, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
At the risk of sounding like an old person moaning about the good old days, I do REALLY miss the pre DDP years when you could just wander into a restaurant and eat when you were hungry without the need to book it 6 months in advance. The restaurants weren't rammed, they weren't astronomical and I guess they were a whole lot less profitable to WDW than they are now.
Oh for those days to come back. Or even the DDP when you had an appetiser, an entree and the gratuity was included.

I got shredded on the dining forum a year ago when I used the comment that the DDP had 'dummed down' the food. Well I think it has.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 17, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Oh for those days to come back. Or even the DDP when you had an appetiser, an entree and the gratuity was included.

I got shredded on the dining forum a year ago when I used the comment that the DDP had 'dummed down' the food. Well I think it has.
Those were the days...

I agree with you about the quality of the food.
Old 10 Mar 17, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post

Although I know we are getting off the topic of DVC now I do tend to agree. I think that menus had become very generic (though I see signs in our last trip of that starting to change) and you were being offered really similar options despite being in different restaurant. There were always restaurants that were a bit different (Jiko, Yak & Yeti, Sanaa etc) but they were the exception rather than the norm. The choice now seems to be growing again which is great.

The prices, though, are high. I wonder if it's worse for Brits as our trips are generally much longer than US visitors - plus we like the novelty of offsite options. I guess chains in Orlando are available at home for those folks, so shorter stay + less compelling reason to go offsite might make sucking up extra cost onsite less painful (? )

Jo, sorry for going OT
Old 10 Mar 17, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
skelfbsfb
Imagineer

skelfbsfb's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I get where you are all coming fom. I fell out of love with it around 6-7 years ago them my Granddaughter came along and that great feeling returned however after last years experience of greed (tips) rudeness of people and now the greed of park tickets I wanted to cancel this years trip and not return. Fast forward a few weeks later and the buzz has came back again as its getting closer booking other attractions and Im getting excited again. I do though think we will sell up in the next few years as I want to look at buying something abroad thats only a few hours flying that I can go to every couple of weeks instead of a 9 hour flight if direct. Anyway hope whatever you decide works out for you.
2003:Quality Inn Plaza 2004:Howard Johnston 2005:Sheraton 2006:POR 2007:AKL 2008:BWV-OKW 2009:BWV-VB-RPH 2010:Villa-HRH 2011:BWV-HRH-VB 2012:VB-OKW-BWV-HRH 2013:OKW-BWV-HRH 2014:OKW-BLT-HRH 2015:HRH-OKW-BWV-PVB 2016:OKW-HRH-BWV-PVB 2017: BWV - PVB 2018: BWV - PVB 2019: BWV - CC
skelfbsfb is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 17, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Jo, sorry for going OT
That's ok, I completely agree with you all and do feel it's a large part of what's killing our love for it, we're foodies!

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 17, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
We've never fallen out of love with Disney, but we sold our DVC contracts a few year ago now.

Our holiday tastes are changing, whilst I still love WDW (except the prices ) we find ourselves wanting to do other things visit other places.

Our DVC ownership was brilliant and we had a lot of enjoyable/memorable holidays.

The thing is we can always buy back in again if we ever feel the need.
Old 10 Mar 17, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by skelfbsfb View Post
I do though think we will sell up in the next few years as I want to look at buying something abroad thats only a few hours flying that I can go to every couple of weeks instead of a 9 hour flight if direct. Anyway hope whatever you decide works out for you.

That's exactly what we're considering, we're off to Lanzarote at Easter to stay in a villa, will do some shopping around while we're there if we love the diving, we're all divers so having somewhere we can pop to for a few days with no jet lag is hugely appealing. Selling the DVC would be a nice deposit.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. I dont know your age but asume there are no Grandchildren and sorry if I have offended! Would that likelihood in the future make you think twice? Those little people bring a whole new dynamic to the equation and brings Disney back to the fore - just a thought.

We are excited about taking our 6yr old Granddaughter this August and I have just completed all our ADR's which are geared around her and will be doing FP's in a while that will totaly revolve around her wants as opposed to us. Lovely.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
Moogles Smith
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
The resorts are gorgeous, enjoy, we've certainly loved staying at a few of them over the years, never had a bad experience and I love the diversity of them all.

We've really loved staying at AKL, making the most of the savannah and going off site each day, it's a great base for that imo as you're not surrounded by WDW / can't see the parks from the resort. A very different experience you can still have with points.
Our first SSR stay a few weeks ago, wasn't exactly a 'bad experience' but it did mean we got all of our points back after speaking to one of the VP's at the moonlight magic event at MK !

It hasn't put us off SSR but just shows even DVC potentially isn't as magical as they say.

DVC Owner - Polynesian

Edited at 10:58 AM.
Moogles Smith is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List