Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 10 Mar 17, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Sckbj1
Earning My Ears

Mobile Disability parking

Hi. Me and my family are having car hire when we visit Florida. I am in a wheelchair and hold a blue badge. Can anyone enlighten me on how to get some kind of disabled parking permit for Florida. Thank you
Sckbj1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 17, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
MummyPeeper
Helping Minnie

Click over to the special needs forum, they have all the info on there.
We will be taking our documents to the nearest tax office to get our permit, it costs around $15. I think you may still be able to apply online and I think someone said you may even be able to just use your blue badge but we're not going to chance it as we are off to Miami and the keys too.
Hope that helps
MummyPeeper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 17, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Sckbj1 View Post
Hi. Me and my family are having car hire when we visit Florida. I am in a wheelchair and hold a blue badge. Can anyone enlighten me on how to get some kind of disabled parking permit for Florida. Thank you
Here's a very helpful link

orlandotouristinformationbur...ing-badges.htm

The blue badge we have in the UK is NOT recognised or valid in Florida... and as it points it you can get hit with a $250 fine for each transgression ( plus any car hire company surcharges ). From their website:

The Florida Department of Transportation now requires a temporary US parking badge for international visitors.
Now, instead of just using your blue UK Disabled Blue Parking Badge, you need to take it (along with your passport), a certified doctor's letter describing condition and a utility bill to one of several local vehicle licensing offices in Orlando and pay a $15 fee for a temporary US parking badge.

Edited at 09:21 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 17, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
amandajane10
Imagineer

amandajane10's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Yes send an email to Orange County Tax Office and they will send you a form to fill in and send back. Then you have to ring to pay $17. It can only be done 60 days before travel :-)
octaxcol/contact/
Villa Holiday May 2018
Planning Easter 2020
amandajane10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 17, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
salfordred
Earning More Ears

You will be OK using your UK blue badge in the theme parks, we've done this many times. However as people have said you won't be able to use it anywhere else and risk getting a fine and/or having your car towed if you do.
salfordred is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Mar 17, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
petetina
Imagineer

I agree with all the above--it is not worth the risk in using your blue badge--get the temp permit for your own peace of mind and it is really easy to do
2009 sandy ridge
2013 watersong resort
2014 Deep Creek ct Clermont
2017 Thomson allocated on arrival
petetina is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 17, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Sckbj1
Earning My Ears

Mobile

Thank you everyone 😊
Sckbj1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List