Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 20 Mar 17, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile ASD - no paperwork?

Hi,
My son had his 'official' diagnosis last week for ASD, the hospital have said it is very unlikely that his statement or any paperwork will arrive before we go away next week.
Has anyone had experience of obtaining the disability pass without the paperwork? We ended up doing no rides last year and only 2 parks because he just couldn't cope with the whole thing. We feel a bit more prepared this year but I'm worrying we might be turned away for the passes because we have nothing official?
Thank you
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 17, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

If this is for wdw you don't need any paperwork and in fact they won't look at it.

In Paris it's different but in the US just let them know what you need.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 17, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

It's for universal and Disney :-)
Thank you x
Old 20 Mar 17, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

My daughter has autism and like already mentioned you don't need any official documentation in America something I think to do with disability laws? It's down to you to explain your child's or the disabled persons needs and how they will benefit from it. Disney was a couple of years ago and we just went to guest services then they gave you a card and they recorded your time to return to ride on it but think it's added straight to magic band now.
Last year we did all the other parks and they still issue paper tickets and every one of them were really helpful and again it was at guest services.
You should be fine 👍
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 17, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
When you go to guest services, you need to have your son with you. We had one of us queue and the other sat just inside with ds. As I got to the front of the queue our ds joined me. No paperwork needed. They do take a photo of him, I'm glad he didn't know this as he would have refused, but went along with it. It was then his magic band that was needed to get the return times.
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 17, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Can he wait to the side while I discuss his needs and then come over?
We haven't actually discussed it with him yet, it's all been a bit of a whirlwind week and I just don't have the words in me right now. I just don't want him getting upset having to listen as he found speech and language quite hard because of that x
Old 20 Mar 17, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Originally Posted by rebecca86 View Post
Can he wait to the side while I discuss his needs and then come over?
We haven't actually discussed it with him yet, it's all been a bit of a whirlwind week and I just don't have the words in me right now. I just don't want him getting upset having to listen as he found speech and language quite hard because of that x
That's what we did with our little girl, I did all the talking and then they just all made a bit of chit chat with my daughter , one park I think it was seaworld took her height measurement and it said the rides she couldn't go on but that was a height restriction thing x
Ps you sound like you are doing great, when Lilly got her diagnosis I burst into tears every time I had to tell someone 😢, she got her diagnosis just before her fifth birthday but it's only this last year we've started talking to her about her autism and even then it's only snippets of stuff, she's 8 so doesn't need to know it all right now X

Edited at 10:22 PM.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 17, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Megandllsmum View Post
That's what we did with our little girl, I did all the talking and then they just all made a bit of chit chat with my daughter , one park I think it was seaworld took her height measurement and it said the rides she couldn't go on but that was a height restriction thing x
Ps you sound like you are doing great, when Lilly got her diagnosis I burst into tears every time I had to tell someone 😢, she got her diagnosis just before her fifth birthday but it's only this last year we've started talking to her about her autism and even then it's only snippets of stuff, she's 8 so doesn't need to know it all right now X
Thank you, I think I've cried every day for the last week. Those words have really just made me feel like I'm not completely failing at this xx
Old 20 Mar 17, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Thank you, I think I've cried every day for the last week. Those words have really just made me feel like I'm not completely failing at this xx
It will get easier love honest... I still have a cry every so often but I've also got a lot stronger too.
Xx
Enjoy your holiday , I'm sure you will get the passes ... to be honest we didn't use them much but we went last year just after Easter when a lot quieter but it was good to know they were there when we needed them 😀

Edited at 10:39 PM.
Old 20 Mar 17, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I remember that feeling so well ... till someone said to me 'he's the same lad you loved before he was given a label. He's not changed. He was given the label to stop wrong labels being attached to him.

We explained it as having his brain wired a little differently. For every negative we told him 3 positives. He's at uni now and doing so well.
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List