Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 21 Mar 17, 12:36 AM  
Link to this Post
speedwayfan
Imagineer

speedwayfan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
As other posters have said, you don't need any paperwork. They will take the photo quickly and with as little stress as possible.

As an aside - our grandson has Autism, diagnosed at 5 (the procedure started at 4), statemented at 6 and now receiving 'one to one' education in mainstream school.

A bit of advice from an old woman. Please don't ever think you're failing them, they wouldn't be who they are without Autism, it's THEIR personality. You will have to fight for them, be strong, it will be hard work but it's so worth it. Some days you will cry and say 'why him/her' and others days you will laugh and be proud of what they achieved that day.

There are no set rules, but we have as a family for the last year talked openly about him having Autism. Not only for him to get used to the word, but also for his younger sister. For us the word is the starting point for questions, understanding and acceptance. He knows his brain works differently, he knows why he gets nervous and scared and so does his sister.

Today my Grandson sat in the barber's chair and had his first professional haircut, not much to some at the age of 7 but to us it was a day to celebrate.

My Grandson is the 'light of my life', I wouldn't change him for all the tea in china. Take away the Autism and you take away parts of his personality that we cherish.

Jill

Edited at 12:45 AM.
speedwayfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 17, 07:15 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by speedwayfan View Post
As other posters have said, you don't need any paperwork. They will take the photo quickly and with as little stress as possible.

As an aside - our grandson has Autism, diagnosed at 5 (the procedure started at 4), statemented at 6 and now receiving 'one to one' education in mainstream school.

A bit of advice from an old woman. Please don't ever think you're failing them, they wouldn't be who they are without Autism, it's THEIR personality. You will have to fight for them, be strong, it will be hard work but it's so worth it. Some days you will cry and say 'why him/her' and others days you will laugh and be proud of what they achieved that day.

There are no set rules, but we have as a family for the last year talked openly about him having Autism. Not only for him to get used to the word, but also for his younger sister. For us the word is the starting point for questions, understanding and acceptance. He knows his brain works differently, he knows why he gets nervous and scared and so does his sister.

Today my Grandson sat in the barber's chair and had his first professional haircut, not much to some at the age of 7 but to us it was a day to celebrate.

My Grandson is the 'light of my life', I wouldn't change him for all the tea in china. Take away the Autism and you take away parts of his personality that we cherish.

Jill
Jill that is so lovely, thank you xxxx
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 17, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post

I'm sat here reading this crying in Costa!
The thread has been helpful generally as we are needing the DAS card for our daughter when we go in a couple of weeks.

I love what you have written Jill-it's lovely hearing things from a grandparents perspective.

Our daughter has issues (she has no official label!) and she was started to be investigated from being 2. At 3 we were told that she had severe speech and language delay plus also social skills and motor skills delays. At 5 she started mainstream school but with full time 1:1 support. She's nearly 7 1/2 now and I still want to cry every time I have to explain to someone about her issues.
She's not autistic but definitely exhibits a lot of autistic traits. Sometimes I find it harder because saying she has speech and language delays actually doesn't sound that bad. We have started to use the term Global Develepmental Delay because at least then people don't just say 'oh she'll soon catch up' etc!

As a mum that's been struggling/dealing with this plus a 9 year old son-honestly regardless of disability or not, I think a parent will often feel they are failing their child. But they aren't, you aren't, I'm not!
Your child is still the same as they were before the diagnosis. You need to see past the diagnosis and keep loving your child just the same (I know you do anyway). We spent the best part of about 2 years being up at the hospital or at speech therapy, occ therapy, play therapy. Daughters life was just at the hospital and it got to the point where we had to take a step back and just see her as a child and not something to be fixed!
Look at your diagnosis as a means of being able to find the correct help that will enable your child to flurish and be the person they are meant to be.
Also be open and honest with other family members. We have always been open with our son about our daughter. And as he's got older he's been given more information.

Sorry that turned into an essay.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 17, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
thefourDs
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by rebecca86 View Post
Thank you, I think I've cried every day for the last week. Those words have really just made me feel like I'm not completely failing at this xx
I can totally relate to you. When our son was diagnosed last year I was fine on the day of diagnosis however the following day I literally could not stop crying! My work thought someone in my family had passed away, I was crying uncontrollably. I later learnt that you often go through a grieving process.

However once you process it all you realise that your child hasn't changed, they are still the same as before diagnosis, nothing has changed for them at all.

I hope you have an amazing holiday!
thefourDs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List