Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 21 Apr 17, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

It's not high pressure and you're free to walk away at any time. It is tempting though! If you're thinking about DVC in anyway, whether direct or resale, it is worth a look as it explains a lot to you and gives you chance to ask questions, plus you get to have a look at some of the different resort rooms in the showhouse area.

We did it a few weeks ago when we were staying at CBR and got a $100 gift card and some free fastpasses for our time

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31st Oct - 14th Nov 2012
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 2nd - 16th Jan 2014
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 7th - 21st Feb 2015
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 2nd - 15th April 2016
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29th March - 12th April 2017
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21st October - 4th November 2019
Food report - the unexpected Easter QSDP extravagana! April 2017
What do we want? FOOD! When do we want it? NOW! QSDP food report, Oct 2019

Edited at 02:27 PM. Reason: typo
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 17, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post

From viewing to buying in we took 8 years! Never, at any point were we pressured. We could ask questions. The rep would go away and come back with the answers on the phone.
I gather you get some Fastpasses and a giftcard or something these days for participating. All we got was a book and a DVD!

Edited at 02:25 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 17, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyDebs86
VIP Dibber

We did it last month. It took about an hour, mainly because we were just in a sales office rather than having any actual units to look at.

We received no pressure whatsoever, I think to be honest our rep thought we were just there for the free FPs and gift card so was surprised when we said we were going to sign up! Even then he told us to think about it overnight and come back the next day to complete, which we did. He was clearly very confident in the product he was selling and they are not on commission so they don't try and force your hand.

He even said that DVC is right for some but not for others, and explained the scenarios where it works for people and the ones where it doesn't work for others.

My parents were members so I was in the know about most things I'd say, but they are happy to answer any questions and also volunteer info on things you might not have thought of.

If anything, the free FPs came in very handy for Soarin, we wouldn't have got on it otherwise!
LadyDebs86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 17, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

We joined in 2000 and our guide wouldn't let us sign anything till we went away and thought about it. No pressure at all. I think the tour is worth it so you can get information and ask questions as well as see a resort. If we did this now I don't think we would join. With the cost of flights and the annual dues-and the fact we have to go in August due to holidays at the moment - I'm not sure it's the best value. We have had our money's worth over the last 17 years and won't sell as the kids will be gone eventually and we will be able to go out of holiday peak times again. I am really pleased we bought when we did - it was the right time for us. We have been to Boston, Scotland and stayed in London with the points when we haven't been able to get to Disney. The time will be right at different times for different people and it will suit some people and not others so do lots of research before you decide.
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 17, 07:41 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I would again say heed the warnings about not signing up on the trip. Huge savings can be had resale, on a 150 point contract we are talking it can be £10000. Most people buying from sales reps at DVC don't even know about this option until after they get home and see it. Then they are horribly misinformed about 'restrictions' on resale, and what 'perks' are, pursuading themselves in some cases this justifies why they paid so much. Ultimately you may decide to buy direct or buy resale but be a fully educated buyer. I spent a good 6 months researching (and had one visit) before buying in, and knew exactly what I was buying and the best way to go about it. As a result I am an extremely happy owner.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List