Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 25 Apr 17, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
ChloeFZ
Helping Minnie

How and when to look for indirect flights for August 2018

Hi! I’m looking for advice on flights for next August ’18.

We’ve just booked our stay at the Beach Club and last time we visited, flew direct from London to MCO. This time, we know that we won’t be able to afford to fly direct so will be looking for indirect from London. It looks like Air Canada via Montreal is a cheap route but I don’t really know much about the other options. It looks like some people register on sites like Skyscanner, although presumably I don’t need to start looking until around September of this year? Any advice gratefully received!
ChloeFZ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 17, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Jaspercat10
VIP Dibber

I would love to know also, we are flying same time, I usually use skyscanner but I have also put down a small deposit with Charter in case any thing pops up in their systems before sky scanner I will just start checking obsessively from mid August
Jaspercat10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 17, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
ChloeFZ
Helping Minnie

Glad this thread will help you too! I'll look from August time then.
ChloeFZ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 17, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

your flights will open roughly 330 days before your return date. So September sound about right

But don't wait until then.

Look at sites like skyscanners and kayak, for similar dates this year (if you want to take off on a saturday, check for the same saturday this year)

you will get a sense of itineraries, and how prices compare, depending on routes, airlines, stopovers, schedule.
allow 2.5hrs on the way out if you have a stopover in the US as it's where you'll clrear immigration and customs.
Going through Dublin, you clear US immigration and customs in Ireland

check the flights for this year, that will allow you to select what kind of flights you want

then , when flights go live for your dates, you'll already know what to look for

quite often, when flights go live, there are very low fares to snatch, but they go fast and don't come back.

be prepared. And it starts now
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 17, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
ChloeFZ
Helping Minnie

Eek I had no idea it was so complicated but thanks so much for the tips. So when you talk about Dublin, do you mean flying London-Dublin-MCO? If so, that sounds brilliant and I had no idea that you would clear US immigration there.
Old 25 Apr 17, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChloeFZ View Post
Eek I had no idea it was so complicated but thanks so much for the tips. So when you talk about Dublin, do you mean flying London-Dublin-MCO? If so, that sounds brilliant and I had no idea that you would clear US immigration there.
yes, DUB is one of the few airports you clear US immigration at

If you fly through Canada, you will also clear US immigration there (Montreal or Toronto) but be advised that Canada has a system similar to ESTA which you will also have to complete and pay for (check current policies at the time of travel)

It's not complicated. It's just about being prepared.

It's like when you go to a store. If you know what you're looking for, it's easy and fast.
If you don't know what you want, and spend ages in the aisle, there is always a chance that some other shopper will take the item you want from the shelf.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 17, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

Mobile

We have indirect flight Heathrow to MCO for this August, I booked them beginning of October last year.

We fly on the 15th via frankfurt with lufthansa & leave mco September 1st the same route. We have a 3hr connection time going & just over an hour coming back. Because our stop off isn't in America we won't need to collect out luggage until MCO.

2 adults, an 11yr old & a 7yr old was just under £1850 for everything. We could've saved more by coming back a few days later but wanted to be home before school term starts.
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 17, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
mark2603
Getting Excited

We fly LHR - EWR - MCO on 14th August and return 31st August via the same route.

Booked it at the end of October last year when United had a sale on.

Paid £2065 for 4 Adults. (me,wife, ds 19 and dd 17)

Like magickate we could've saved more by coming back a few days later but my wife works in a school so needed to be back home for when the schools return.
mark2603 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 17, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
ChloeFZ
Helping Minnie

Thanks so much for your replies. This gives me a good indication of the kind of prices I'll be looking at - much more affordable than flying direct! Quite a few options route-wise too. I'll start looking in September.
Old 26 Apr 17, 07:26 AM  
Link to this Post
memphis69
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We actually got direct out indirect back to Tampa BA flydrive £1900 last two weeks of August 2 adults 2 teens with midsize SUV booked This January and only £300 deposit.
memphis69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List