Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 25 Apr 17, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
adambaz
Proud to wear my Ears

First Time Trip - Feb '18 - AKL - Family of 5

Hi Guys.

I've recently booked for the beginning of February '18 for my family (Me, Wife, 2 Son's [5+7], and Daughter [1]) for our first ever WDW trip, booked direct including flights through Walt Disney Travel Company.

We visited DLP in December, in the gap between Xmas and NY for 5 days, and had a great time, so thought the next step should be Florida.

We decided on AKL given that the week after we come back, my Daughter will turn 2, and the AKL lodge prices for a 1 Bed Suite (which we would need to accommodate 5 "proper" people) effectively doubles the price compared to a normal room - So this will realistically be the only time we'll be able to go to this resort.

There were no Standard View rooms available, so given we were being "force upgraded" to Pool View (I'd have preferred no view rather than Pool View), we decided to go for Savannah View, and from there decided it was worth the approx. £250 upgrade to go for Club Level Savannah - which will hopefully be worth it for the Breakfast and Beer alone

I'm aware that we have access to services of the Itinery Planning Office via email which I understand I'm best off emailing them a couple of weeks before we are 180 days off arrival with our ADR's etc.

Is there anything that we should be aware of or shouldn't miss out on?

We're debating the pro's and con's of hiring a car while we're out there - any opinions on this point would be very helpful.

Also, my daughter doesn't appear to be on the Virgin Atlantic flights itinerary when logging into the booking on the VA website - Any past experience on when babies who are booked on laps appear on the booking would be helpful too.

Will be trawling the forums for hints and tips in the next 280 days or so until we go

Edited at 04:37 PM. Reason: .
adambaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 17, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Gezzs
Imagineer

Sorry to hijack, but we're staying at AKL and have a Savannah View room. I wasn't offered any Club Level upgrade options. Please could you let me know what's included?

Florida: July 2009, Aug 2011, Sept 2014, Sept 2018, Sept 2024
Disneyland Paris: Dec 2023
Gezzs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 17, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
BigSkip
Imagineer

We have never used the services of the IPO, but i have heard (from another forum - yes they exist!) that the service isn't that good. Personally i enjoy getting the ADR's booked myself.

There is no need to hire a car, however we often do, to get to the shops and a day trip to the coast as well, not gulf coast, Atlantic coast is far quieter, assuming you avoid Cocoa Beach.

You might find it cosy in a Savanah view room. We are off in November staying Club and will try to post Photos for you.
BigSkip is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 17, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
BigSkip
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gezzs View Post
Sorry to hijack, but we're staying at AKL and have a Savannah View room. I wasn't offered any Club Level upgrade options. Please could you let me know what's included?
apinchofpixiedust/201...clublevel.html
BigSkip is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 17, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Gezzs
Imagineer

Thanks BigSkip.

Florida: July 2009, Aug 2011, Sept 2014, Sept 2018, Sept 2024
Disneyland Paris: Dec 2023
Gezzs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 17, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
adambaz
Proud to wear my Ears

As I say - It seemed to be worth the £20 a night upgrade, given that it includes breakfast, which will allow us to use some of the quick service vouchers for evening meals rather than using them for breakfast, and then double up for some of the 2 ticket Table Service meals without having to pay out of pocket.

And I liked the idea of nipping up to Club on an evening after the kids are in bed and sitting on the balcony with the wife and a glass of beer/wine.
adambaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 17, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
adambaz
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by BigSkip View Post
We have never used the services of the IPO, but i have heard (from another forum - yes they exist!) that the service isn't that good. Personally i enjoy getting the ADR's booked myself.

There is no need to hire a car, however we often do, to get to the shops and a day trip to the coast as well, not gulf coast, Atlantic coast is far quieter, assuming you avoid Cocoa Beach.

You might find it cosy in a Savanah view room. We are off in November staying Club and will try to post Photos for you.
Thanks for the tip - I may well just book the ADR's directly - unless I'm struggling to get a particular date/time, then I might see what they can do.

Given it's our first trip I think we'll probably have enough to within WDW, if we were going to get a car it would be to aid getting to the parks quicker rather than relying on busses. We aren't planning on doing Universal, just WDW, so might get away with just the Disney Transport then.
Old 25 Apr 17, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

We stayed at AKL last July for 15 nights without a car and found the disney transport options good enough,
It's a lovely resort.