Imagineer

Bob_and_Dawn's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
California Grill

California Grill Restaurant Review

Wednesday 7th December 2005

Diners:- Bob and Dawn
Meal:- Dinner

The California Grill Restaurant is situated on the 15th floor of the Contemporary Resort and gives wonderful views across Seven Seas Lagoon to the Polynesian and Grand Floridian Resorts, plus views of Magic Kingdom.
The views of the fireworks spectacular “Wishes” are out of this world and make dining at that time in the evening very popular.
The atmosphere in the California Grill is much more peaceful since the check-in area is now on the 4th floor which prevents others just wandering into the restaurant to see the views.
The hotel itself is very easy to get to as it is served by the Monorail and bus or within a very short walking distance from Magic Kingdom.

Unfortunately we could only get an early ADR which was for 5.40pm so we arrived at 5.30pm and were taken straight up to the restaurant are and seated within a very short period in time near the far end next to the window in a place suitable for 4 diners therefore giving us more room.

The Restaurant

The Chefs

Our server David was with us in a very short period of time bringing a jug of water and bread, he then explained the extensive menu to us.

MENU

Appetizers
Brick Oven Fired Flatbreads
Quadruple Cheese with Sun-dried Tomatoes and Basil Pesto* $9.00
BLT Flat Bread with Neuske's Bacon, Heirloom Tomatoes, and shaved romaine $12.00
Roasted Chicken with grilled corn salsa, Fiscalini Farms cheddar cheese and chipotle aioli $10.00
Grape Tomatoes, Buffalo Milk Mozzarella, Garlic, Basil and 8-Year-Old Balsamic $10.00

Sushi
Yoshie's Sushi Sampler - Maki and Nigiri $13.00
Bigeye Tuna Three Ways - poki, tartar, and tataki $20.00
Sashimi Trio - Bigeye Tuna, Salmon and Hamachi $16.00
Spicy Sensation - scallops, tuna, avocado, tobiko and fireball sauce $18.00
The Big Bang Roll - Tuna, crab, shrimp tempura, mango, and cucumber with Yumm Yumm sauce $21.00
"Snake in the Grass" - Shrimp tempura with avocado, eel and cucumber $22.00
"Peeky Toe" Crab California Roll with avocado and cucumber $17.00
Yoshie's Deluxe Sushi Platter - Maki and Nigiri $24.00

Cheese 3 ways! Assortment of three cheeses $11.00
choose all five for $15.00
-- Matos St. George
-- Le Chevre Noir
-- San Joaquin Gold Cheddar
-- Cypress Grove Farms Humboldt Fog
-- Northern Gold
Served with sourdough baguette, fruit paste, and fig cake.

Roasted Pumpkin Soup – with pumpkin seed pesto and spiced crème fraiche $9.00
Hearts of Romaine Salad with Green Goddess Dressing, aged parmesan, and sourdough croutons $9.00
Frisee-Watercress Salad – with poached pears, heirloom apples, blue cheese, and orange0shallot vinaigrette $11.00
Chilled Gulf Shrimp and Pineapple Soup – with arugula, pepper vinaigrette, Serrano ham and honey yogurt cream $10.00
Golden and Candy Stripe Beets – with chevre, sun dried cherry vinaigrette and honey glazed pine nuts $9.00
Hudson Valley Foie Gras – with orange scented French toast, honey-ginger sauce and apple chutney £15.00
Sonoma Goat Cheese Ravioli with Sun-dried Tomatoes, Shiitake Mushrooms and basil* $11.00

Entrees
Mahi Mahi – with caramelised fennel risotto, pancetta, spicy tomato broth and garlicky mussels $26.00
Chili Rubbed Free Range Chicken with Sofrito and goat cheese tamale, chayote salad, and cherry mojo $26.00
Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Creamy Goat Cheese Polenta, Cremini Mushrooms, Zinfandel Glaze and Sage $24.00
Alaskan Butterfish – with basmati, bok choy, macadamia nuts, pickles cucumbers and Hong Kong vinaigrette $31.00
Braised Short Rib – with autumn vegetables, marble potatoes, mustard essence and horseradish crème fraiche $27.00
Roasted Eggplant Timbale – with couscous, goat cheese, olives, wild mushrooms and red pepper-fennel broth $21.00
Golden Tilefish with Olive Oil Whipped Potatoes, piperade sauce, merguez sausage, and crispy rock shrimp $28.00
Oak-fired Beef Filet with Potato and Gorgonzola Pave, Blue Lake beans, and Tamarind Barbecue Sauce $35.00

Dessert
Exotic Pearls - Pearl tapioca with tropical fruit salad, exotic fruit sorbet, and candied coconuts $9.00
Autumn Apples – Breaburn apple and brown butter tart with autumn spiced-apple cider ice cream and caramel sauce $10
Happiest Celebration on Earth - Riesling, Rosado and Port Poached Pears with Mascarpone, chocolate sabayon, almond brittle, wine jellies $10.00
Bananas and Butterscotch "Buzz" - caramelized bananas and butterscotch custard stack with coffee caramel, cocoa nib, and crunchy plantain $10.00
Mango Creamsicle - Mango gelee center encapsulated with frozen sweet cream, whipped mango puree, and toasted meringue $9.00
Chocolate "PBJ" - Warm Valrhona Chocolate Cake with PBJ Ice Cream, Concord "jelly" sauce and toasted peanut powder $10
L'Opera Sings - Biscuit Joconde, mocha cream, "California Crunch," chocolate glaze, candied filberts, and gold leaf $10.00

Our Selection

starter
Dawn:- Cheese 3 ways, but can’t remember which ones she choose.

Bob:- Foie Gras.

Entrée
Dawn:- Grilled Pork Tenderloin

Bob:- Alaskan Butterfish

Dessert
Dawn:- Bananas and Butterscotch "Buzz"

Bob:- Autumn Apples.

I decided to try the Foie Gras to see for myself what this delicacy was like first hand as I had never tried it before. Dawn had ordered it at V and A’s a few days previous and said it was her favourite part of the meal but I was slightly disappointed. The texture was very much liver and this could not be disguised but I found it rather sloppy. Having said this it certainly looked different from Dawns and it may have been that on this occasion it may not have been true duck of goose liver instead chicken could have been used especially when the price is noted. Nevertheless I ate it and found it OK but would not have it there again.
Dawn was slightly disappointed with her cheeses and thought they were not as fresh as they could be.
We both asked David to select a wine to accompany our entrees and we were not unhappy with his selection.
Dawn was brought a glass of Seghesio Sonoma Zinfandel and I was brought a glass of Clautiere Violgnier, Paso Robles.
The whitefish was certainly cooked and filleted well with not a bone to be found. I am not generally a great fish eater and this is probably the first time I have ate one at a fine dining restaurant but it was sold so well by our server David that I had to try it.
There was something in this dish that I couldn’t quite make out as I couldn’t decide whether it had a sweet or sour taste but ate it all so it certainly wasn’t bad.
Dawn’s pork was pretty standard although she found the goat cheese slightly overpowering.
Desserts were both fine and I even enjoyed mine but I had left room as he fish dish was quite light.

Rating:- 8.5/10 Excellent service, peaceful surrounding with great views and an good meal.

Bill:- $110.23 including a 20% DDE discount but not including tip.

Bob
Old 19 May 06, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Mmmm food all looks gorgeous!

Having had one spectacular meal here and one below average the jury is still out.
I think we'll pop up there for a flatbread and a glass of that tasty Californian wine next time.
A good place to meet up maybe
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 06, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post

Menu sounds good, love the look of the dessert

Tracy
Old 23 May 06, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post

We didn't have a very good meal here, I would probably give it another go just to see if it was a one off.
Old 23 May 06, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post

had a fantastic meal there in November '05. a little pricey but is was a nice treat!
Old 9 Jul 07, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post

Excellent ~ Thanx for posting.
Old 9 Jul 07, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List