Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Closed Thread

Old 12 May 15, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Woodsie91
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Fort De Soto - Anybody been?

As the title suggests. I'm planning a beach trip for my birthday as a chance to unwind for a day and am contemplating either Clearwater or Fort De Soto Park. I understand the latter is a bit further but I don't mind the drive.

It looks stunning in photos, with lots of shells on the beach and some old cannons knocking about (which will be nice to get the camera out) but wondered if anybody's actually been and can shed some light on the place and share their experiences.

Cheers,
Dan
Woodsie91 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 15, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Redsnapper
Imagineer

Really nice park - with some very nice beaches.

They have canoe rental also and a gift shop/restaurant.

The "fort" id fairly modern but worth a quick look round.

After visiting the park we drove on to St Petes and did a tour up the coast as far as Clearwater before heading back inland towards Orlando.
Redsnapper is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 15, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
barryp1
Imagineer

Clearwater Beach and Fort de Soto beach couldn't be more different.

Fort de Soto is a National Park and if you fancy a quiet tropical beach kind of day it will not dissapoint.
barryp1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 15, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Woodsie91

Originally Posted by barryp1 View Post
Clearwater Beach and Fort de Soto beach couldn't be more different.

Fort de Soto is a National Park and if you fancy a quiet tropical beach kind of day it will not dissapoint.
That's exactly what I fancy! Great stuff.

Thanks,
Dan
Woodsie91 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 15, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Woodsie91

Originally Posted by Redsnapper View Post
Really nice park - with some very nice beaches.

They have canoe rental also and a gift shop/restaurant.

The "fort" id fairly modern but worth a quick look round.

After visiting the park we drove on to St Petes and did a tour up the coast as far as Clearwater before heading back inland towards Orlando.
That sounds a really good idea; how long did the drive back up to Clearwater take?

Dan
Old 13 May 15, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post

Its about 50 mins to Clearwater, 20 mins to downtown St Pete's and 2 hours to Orlando.

Probably the best beach is the North one, after the pay booth ($5), follow the road until you hit a T junction, turn left and follow the road all the way up to the end where there is a turning circle. There is a massive car park and you just head through the trees on to the beach. Marked sections have lifeguards.

The beach was pretty quiet during the week though it might be busier at weekends. Probably the nicest beach I have been on. White sand, blue green warm water, trees and no commercial development except the snack bar a mile down the beach. Well worth the trip.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 15, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Ninnybobs
Apprentice Imagineer

Fort Desoto is my favourite place in the whole world... we go 3 or 4 times every time we go to Florida.

There are two piers, miles of beautiful beaches, shells by the thousands, lots of wildlife and dolphins to watch from the beach or piers.

The fort is a bit of interesting history. Plenty of walks, cycle trails and kayak hire.

Lots of places to BBQ and a few places to eat.

Fort Desoto comes highly recommended
Ninnybobs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 15, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Brunswickian

Originally Posted by amonynous View Post
Its about 50 mins to Clearwater, 20 mins to downtown St Pete's and 2 hours to Orlando.

Probably the best beach is the North one, after the pay booth ($5), follow the road until you hit a T junction, turn left and follow the road all the way up to the end where there is a turning circle. There is a massive car park and you just head through the trees on to the beach. Marked sections have lifeguards.

The beach was pretty quiet during the week though it might be busier at weekends. Probably the nicest beach I have been on. White sand, blue green warm water, trees and no commercial development except the snack bar a mile down the beach. Well worth the trip.
I think you mean turn Right at the T junction for the North Beach.

We spent the day at Fort de Soto before going to watch the Ice Hockey at Tampa. It is well worth the drive from Orlando.
Brunswickian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 15, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I haven't gone Fort Desoto yet, but the daughter went last year and said it was beautiful. She went on a segway tour there and said that was really enjoyable.

because you can get the I-275 all the way to St Pete's it takes about the same time as getting to Clearwater beach, as the roads are not as good.
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 15, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Brunswickian View Post
I think you mean turn Right at the T junction for the North Beach.

We spent the day at Fort de Soto before going to watch the Ice Hockey at Tampa. It is well worth the drive from Orlando.
Yes sorry!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread