Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Closed Thread

Old 9 Oct 16, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
zoebums
Apprentice Imagineer

Florida keys with a family

Hi all, where would you recommend with a family of 2 girls (9 and 14) and son (6)? Do you think a hotel would be better also rather than a condo or villa? We would like to visit keys for 5 nights before Disney x
zoebums is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 16, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Here is good, a bit more expensive but has Dolphin Experience etc and is in the middle of the Keys so good for travelling either way.

hawkscay/
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 16, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post

My advice, don't take your family to stay in Key West. Whilst some enjoy it, it is definitely an adult destination. Fine during the day and well worth a visit but with children, I would leave before dark.
Old 12 Oct 16, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewartcrl
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell & co View Post
My advice, don't take your family to stay in Key West. Whilst some enjoy it, it is definitely an adult destination. Fine during the day and well worth a visit but with children, I would leave before dark.
We go next July to key west for a couple of nights, DS 16 & DD 18 would you say it's ok for their age group?

Stewartcrl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 16, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
anstee33
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell & co View Post
Agree totally with this, my husband & I visited the Keys & Key west for a day in may.Although it's pretty around the sea areas, the town is so noisy, my husband actually said he thought it was really all geared up for Hen & Stag parties. We will not visit again.
anstee33 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 16, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post

Stewartclr. I have sent you a personal message.
Old 13 Oct 16, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stewartcrl View Post
We go next July to key west for a couple of nights, DS 16 & DD 18 would you say it's ok for their age group?
We went last year for five nights, we generally were back at the accommodation between 11 and 11.30 each night and didn't see anything particularly bad, people were in the bars drinking but no one was drunk, and saw no sites I would worry about a 16 year old seeing.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 16, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by anna-marie View Post
Here is good, a bit more expensive but has Dolphin Experience etc and is in the middle of the Keys so good for travelling either way.

hawkscay/
I have also stayed at this resort and would also heavily reccomend it. It is also very convenient for 7 mile bridge, where you can walk out on the old disused one.

The Keys are generally more for adults, but we still enjoyed it. Key West is interesting and Ed Fishers shipwreck museum, excellent.

We did 5 days at Hawks Cay and felt this about right.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 16, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 16, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post

I personally agree with the advice to avoid Key West as a family destination. That said, there is lots to see and do for a family (southerly point, Hemingways house, even things like Hard Rock cafe) So it is worth a day & night, but no more.

There is lots to see and do on many of the Keys. Have a look for Robbie's Tarpon which is fun, and the Turtle Hospital in Marathon is a must see. Plenty of other dolphin experiences, state parks (i.e. public space) and loads of water sports on all the more northerly keys)

You will find big US brand name hotels which can be reassuring to stay in, you will also find more traditional / rustic accommodation which are lovely as well. As ever, down to personal choice. Trip adviser is a good place to do some research on hotels & things to see.

Also, make sure you search the Dibb for relevant trip reports to get you in the mood.
Closed Thread