Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Closed Thread

Old 19 Oct 16, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandobound
Excited about Disney

Help! Going soon and no plan for 4 nights on Gulf Coast!

Help! I really need some help from all you Dibbers! We fly to Orlando in a few days time and our first 2 weeks are all planned out. We check out of our accommodation on 12 Nov and then we have another full week before we fly home on 19 Nov. (There is no option to stay longer in our accommodation as another party is booked to stay there when we leave.)

Anyway, it's me, DH and our 2 boys age 11 and 10. When I was planning I thought it would be a great idea to head to the Gulf Coast for a few days, then come back to Orlando for a couple of days before we flew home to go back to the parks again (we have 21 day Disney tickets). But I haven't booked anything at all for the Gulf Coast part of our trip! I am completely overwhelmed by all the choices. The only thing we really want to do is the Ford Edison estates in Fort Myers and a trip on a boat to see some dolphins (hopefully). I am just scared of making the wrong choices so can I please please get some advice?

Where is the best area to base ourselves? Fort Myers or Naples or St.Petes Beach area? Any recommendations on hotels? Budget is not huge. Anything we really shouldn't miss? DH says that this is definitely our last trip to Florida - it's our 3rd trip to Orlando but we've never been to the Gulf Coast - and I really want to get this right.
orlandobound is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 16, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
SunbreezeFL
Imagineer

Personally I would go for Naples area to base yourself - you can be at the everglades quickly, take boat trips and not too far from Fort Myers.
SunbreezeFL is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 16, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post

There are 4 villas on the Gulf Coast on the Dibb 3 in Rotonda West and one in Cape Coral.

One of them may have a gap and all are ideally placed for the Edison Ford Estates which are really interesting.

There are plenty of options for boat tours where you can see Dolphins and you can also see them from the beaches sometimes on the Cape Haze peninsular.

We are booked but one of the other owners may be able to help.

Rotonda Girl
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 16, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandobound
Excited about Disney

Thanks! I am definitely leaning towards the Naples area or Cape Coral/Rotonda area. Is Naples good for kids? Or is it more for older couples? Who knew this could be so difficult? - I think I am just over-thinking it but I really want this to be right. Thanks for your advice.
orlandobound is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 16, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
markiemark90
Very Serious Dibber

markiemark90's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 2
We stayed for a week in Fort Myers Beach. Loved it. Plenty going on. Could walk to times square each eve.

see pics:

Enjoy!

Mark
markiemark90 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 16, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
SunbreezeFL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by orlandobound View Post
Thanks! I am definitely leaning towards the Naples area or Cape Coral/Rotonda area. Is Naples good for kids? Or is it more for older couples? Who knew this could be so difficult? - I think I am just over-thinking it but I really want this to be right. Thanks for your advice.
We love Naples as does my DS (he's 12 but we have taken him to the coast every year since he was 4). The fact that you can be in the Everglades quickly, or on the beach is really appealing plus theres a great shops and restaurants.

If you can get a gap in one of the 4 dibb villas then they would be a great base for the area and space to spread out
SunbreezeFL is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 16, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
jheaton
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
we stayed in Bonita Springs for 2 weeks in May and visited the Edison-Ford estate, fascinating piece of history like stepping back in time

are any of you into cars-have a looks at the REVS institute in Naples-great collection of classic race cars

we stayed in a villa but there were apartments and condos too

we saw dolphins every day on the beach, nesting ospreys and a few manatees too

Corkscrew Swamp Nature reserve is good too

1995 OKW/1997 Villa/ Gulf /2000 Villa/Rotunda /2002 Villa/Rotunda/2004 Southern Dunes/ AMI/2006 West Stonebridge/2007 Bradenton/2009 Sandy Ridge/2011Sandy Ridge/ AMI /2012SSR/2012Esprit/2013 SSR/2013 2wks AMI/2014 AMI/2015 OKW/2015 AMI/2016 AMI/ Bonita Springs/2017 2weeks Bellavida/2018 AMI/2019 Bonita Springs and Universal/2022 Gulf Coast Hurricane Ian/2023POFQ
jheaton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 16, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandobound
Excited about Disney

Thanks so much everyone! I am starting to get really exciting about our trip to the Gulf Coast. Lots of great ideas here.
Old 19 Oct 16, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post

If you are going just for 4 days Naples is that much further on than Cape Coral / Rotonda so more driving.

Rotonda Girl
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 16, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandobound
Excited about Disney

Thanks! Yes, that is definitely a consideration.
Closed Thread