Notices

Old 23 Sep 15, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mr and Mrs T. The West Coast Bug 2016 UPDATED!

We returned from our West Coast adventure in mid June 2015 and on getting home from Heathrow we both agreed that our next US holiday will be a return to the West Coast.

It was a no brainer really. We had such a fantastic time and had many first time experiences that we wanted more.

Made a start looking at flights to LA. Virgin has always been our preferred form of transport over the Atlantic and as far as we are concerned are competitive with regards to price.

Found a good price so booked to leave Heathrow on Monday, May 9. As we were finishing our trip in San Francisco we booked the return flight which took off at 21.15, so we had a good last day by the bay.

Did not fancy driving back home after landing at Heathrow at 4 p.m. so looked at alternative transport. A taxi would be very expensive so booked National Express which leaves from Ipswich Station. As we are both over 60 paid for the seniors pass, so managed to get a return coach journey for the both of us for just under £60.

Checked hotels round Heathrow for our overnight and chose the Premier Inn in Bath Road, good price which included breakfast. Will eat in their restaurant when we get there for our overnight.

Over the next few months we sat and spoke about where we wanted to go and what things we wanted to see.

We had been lucky enough to visit LA for the first time in 1979 before two sons were born. Then the four of us visited our relations who lived just outside LA twice more in the late 80s.

On those occasions we visited Universal and Disneyland, so the first thing we wanted to do this trip was to see how much Disneyland had changed. Neither of us are bothered about visiting Universal so we both agreed that the first few days would be spent in Disney.

Spent a lot of time looking at hotels near Disney and checking reviews. Finally we both agreed that the Tropicana Inn and Suites which is situated right opposite the entrance to the parks would be our home for the first 3 nights of our trip.

Because we wanted to do things we have never done before we decided that the next destination would be San Diego and again after looking at hotels we decided on one but then a week or so later changed our minds and booked the Best Western Plus Island Palms, which is situated on Shelter Island. Looks fantastic for our next 3 nights.

Whilst in San Diego we are going to visit USS Midway, San Diego Zoo and hopefully Petco Park
From San Diego we then drive to Palm Springs where we have booked the Best Western Plus Las Brisas Hotel. A must is the Tramway plus sight seeing.

From there we will take a slight detour to visit the Ronald Reagan Library on our way to our next stop.

We will spend the next two nights in Santa Barbara at the Cheshire Cat bed and breakfast, again more sight seeing.

We were undecided where to stop after Santa Barbara. We fancied Pismo Beach and found a few hotels that we liked, although a tad expensive!

On our trip last year we really enjoyed visiting Cambria on a couple of occasions so looked at possible hotels there.

We both agreed that we would like to stay around that area so after looking at various hotels we chose the White Water Inn, which sites right by the beach! Nice and relaxing with plenty of beach walking planned.

Have pencilled in a few stops on the drive up to Cambria, Solvang, Morro Bay and I think Elaine has found a shopping outlet as well!

From Cambria we will drive up the coast to Monterey. Last year we spent two nights at the Holiday Inn Express on Wave Street, one block from Cannery Row. Nice hotel, breakfast included, so our next two nights will be spent there. Might visit the aquarium plus fancy a bit of walking past the aquarium where last year we found a beach packed with sea lions with some sea otters swimming close to the beach.

A trip to Fisherman’s Wharf is something else we fancy. Went there last year and thought it was a lovely place.

The final part of the road trip will be driving to San Francisco where we will get rid of the car at the airport before getting a shuttle to the last hotel we are using this trip – Pier 2620, which is close to Fishermans Wharf.

Plan on doing the hop on hop off bus tour. Also last year we walked back from the Golden Gate Bridge and it was a really lovely stroll.
We have booked an all day Napa Valley Wine Tour for the Thursday. Really looking forward to that!

As our return flight does not leave until 21.15 on the Saturday we will not need to leave the hotel until around 5 p.m. so will spend the day around Fisherman’s Wharf.

Right that it. Hope you made sense of it all. It will be a trip of many firsts. A lot of homework has gone into this trip to make sure we have covered everything and see as many sights as we can fit in whilst at the same time have some down time as well.
I will do a trip report when we return.

We are:

John aka Tractorboy. Retired on New Year’s Eve after being at work since I was 15. Basically I had had enough – so my back kept telling me. Turned 63 in February. Have been married to Elaine for 42 years. Not only my wife but my best friend. We laugh together and we cry together.

Grandad to Caitlin, Henry, Dylan and little Phoebe who was born the day before my birthday. And not forgetting little George who is looking down on us wherever we go.

Elaine aka AlexE. Works hard although I am trying to get her to retire and keep me company. Age unknown. Does the majority of the work for our many holidays over the years. She is a very special person in my life.

Nannie to Caitlin, Henry, Dylan and little Phoebe and of course little George.

Edited at 06:34 PM.
TractorBoy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 15, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post

The west coast is beautiful! Definitely my favourite place! Sounds fabulous!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 16, 07:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

So glad to hear you went back, I have not been on this part of the forum for a while but had a few days off so was having little Dibb browsing.
I am happy to see this trippie and will enjoy having a little read!
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List