Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 15 Apr 19, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
AP100
Getting Excited

Tips for August 2020

We have booked for above. Fly out 17th Aug 2020.

We always go in Spring break or October half term and around Halloween.

What can I expect crowd wise at water parks and theme parks? There for 2 weeks.

Will be at the end of the rush for summer hols? Any tips? Weather?

I was thinking as I always do, get in early, and leave at just after lunch and chill at the pool after. So guess will work for then?

And will water parks be manageable?

Cheers everyone
AP100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
A&S&O
Apprentice Imagineer

We go out 7th to 28th August, so are wondering the same. We've been a few times at Easter and once at Christmas, so are used to crowds, but not heat.

We think that at some point during our stay it will get quieter as the US schools go back sometime mid August.
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW, 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLP x3, 2015 DLR + DLP x2, 2016 WDW + DLP x2, 2017 WDWx2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2, 2019 WDWx2, 2022 WDWx2, 2023 DLP x2. 2024 DLP x2, WDW. 2025 planning WDW.
A&S&O is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
RobandLynsey
Very Serious Dibber

Crowds wise August for us was soooo much quieter than spring break. Ride lines for the big ones are still fairly long but generally better. The smaller rides are generally no more than 20 mins if that. One tip if you have plenty of time and a park hopper, go to MK during a MNSSHP day, yes it shuts at 6:00 but it is so much quieter. We did an EMH on a MNSSHP day we literally did most of the rides (apart from 7DMT) in fantasy land and Tomorrowland in an hour. We then went over to Adventureland and Froniterland and walked on everything that side. Universal we did in a day, both parks.

Weather wise you will get rain, usually in the afternoon and usually not lasting too long. They do shut a lot of the outdoor rides during this. Another tip, if it looks like you are getting a storm and have a FP to use, book something like barnstormer. If it closes during the storm you get an FP you can use on anything apart from 7DMT and PP, we did this loads. Heat wise, yes it's hot but we found that you get used to it but sometimes can get too much. Just use all the aircon and drink loads. Spring break can be hot but this is a different heat, very, very humid.

Most US schools go back mid Aug, NY is generally similar to us here, however a lot wont be there as they have had a lot of the summer to go.

Tips wise, always get there early. Weather is better, lines are less and you can always go back and have a sleep during the storms in the afternoon.

We really enjoyed August as the lack of people compared to spring break is so much more pleasant and we got so much done.
Old 15 Apr 19, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Flamingo
Apprentice Imagineer

Flamingo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

I can't really help with your questions as we've only ever been in May. However, we're now tied to the school holidays and plan to be there roughly the same time as you so I'll be reading the replies with interest :-)
I've heard that the last 2 weeks of August are generally quieter as most American schools go back then.
I've also been told to stay in the park even if it pours down. Apparently a huge number of people leave when it starts raining and queues will dramatically reduce.
Flamingo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Bertiebear
Imagineer

We went 9th August-25th August last year. From around the 15th saw a drop in crowds. Queues apart from headliners were not massively long. We coped with the heat fine too. Water parks I’d say average queues. If you want a good spot for chairs get there early though.
Old 15 Apr 19, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
kerrie1781
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

My tip in August is make sure you tie your hair up. Otherwise you’ll end up looking like Monica from friends with the humidity 😂.
End of August is our fave time, it’s VERY hot but there’s loads of shade and air con in parks. Queues are manageable if you make use of fast passes etc.
kerrie1781 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Forest32
slightly serious Dibber

We went end of July, beginning of August last year with two children and we all coped well with the heat due to the use of air con in ride lines and nipping in and out of shops if we got too hot. The only park where we struggled with the heat was AK. We ended up just going there first thing in the morning or in the evenings.

This year we have deliberately booked our holiday at the end of August as crowd levels are supposed to be lower. With clever planning using early ADRs and FPs, we didn't have many issues with long wait times last year to be fair though.
Forest32 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 19, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I’ve got at admit I’m a bit concerned about August weather after only going in April and October previously with mostly ambient weather.

Because of the new dinning plan allocation October next year is out, April is too close to exams and to close to our already booked October holiday. So, August is the only time we can go, I’m really hoping that July/August Dibbers can reassure me that this is still a good time to go?

I’ve been on mumsnet and trip advisor and loads of people on there are really negative about August but I know that Dibbers are the most reliable source of Orlando weather information. 😃

Please reassure me.

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 19, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

as above last 2 weeks in August the crowds dipp noticeably as american schools have gone back

weather wise hot & humid... we have been 2015 2016 2017 in last 2 weeks in August

2015 was much wetter some of the afternoon downpours turned into all evening / night storms

2016 & 2017 not too bad the usual @16:00 monsoon then brightened up again... iirc 2017 was much better with no so many afternoon storms.. so i'd say its down to luck weather like anywhere can vary but it is the rainy/hurrcane season

in short get out early and try & do what you want to do in the AM or early PM just oin case.. anything better is a brucey bonus...

just crack on & ignore the mumsnet doom & gloom brigade
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 19, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
TC Devon
Imagineer

We went last year, last three weeks. Yes it was hot, really really hot. Cool towels and water fans were our saviour. We ducked in and out of shops to cool down. My daughter was fine in the heat but my son did nt cope so well. He was more tired than normal and grumpier.
We aimed for early starts, back to villa in afternoon and back out at night. We never ended up going back out as my son and others were so tired. I would have been more than happy to go back out.
TC Devon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List