Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Apr 19, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
itsmeGAV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by alkel2730 View Post
Thank you! I must admit my heart sunk when I saw the reception was poor I’m only doing this as the disney WiFi absolutely did my head in last time so I do need something I can use.
I only found 4G in the Disney parks not great, when I had 4G that was... however 3G was absolutely fine and had really good speeds. Disney WiFi isn’t great!
itsmeGAV is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
galaxy101
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Disney_time View Post
Well I have a three sim. I started with a PAYG for all the benefits of 3 Feel at home and that worked well, but it was a pain changing to a different number for the trip, so now I have a contract and they are my permanent provider (£14 unlimited texts, calls and 8GB data). All fine, except, I have a really poor signal indoors at my house and some other places. I live in a busy built up area so I feel it should be better. I don't know if this is a problem with 3, or if I am just unlucky, but I'll prob stick with it at the moment.
I have the same deal & the same problem my signal is really poor all the time it's so frustrating 😟
Old 19 Apr 19, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

Check the small-print very carefully on the "free calls to UK mobiles that are in the USA" part. Whilst it may be free to you, the caller, the recipient is going to be roaming on a US network - and roaming costs for receiving calls are very high. You could be un-wittingly landing someone in your party with a nasty mobile bill when they return to the UK.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 19, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
JanetteP
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
Check the small-print very carefully on the "free calls to UK mobiles that are in the USA" part. Whilst it may be free to you, the caller, the recipient is going to be roaming on a US network - and roaming costs for receiving calls are very high. You could be un-wittingly landing someone in your party with a nasty mobile bill when they return to the UK.
Now that's put me in a quandary, as a previous poster said they all had payg sims and used them to contact each other whilst in the parks. Hmm - not sure what to do now.

Janette
Dreamy Corner June 23, Potter’s Villa May 22, Shamu Villa Sep 22,AKL, HRH Lakeside Haven Sep 19, Lakeside Haven RPR May 19. White Blossom & Viburnum Villa Aug 18. SSR, Aurora Villa May 18. Kidani, RPR Champion Florida Villa 17, Staybridge Suites, White Blossom & Owens Villa 16 OKW, Champion Florida Villa & RPR 16, Magic Landings 15, Grand Reserve & HRH 2014, Tuscan Pines 12, Highgrove 09, Legacy Park 07, Indian Point 06 and 05, Florida Pines 04
Graduation Trip 2019
+ Trip Report 2018
JanetteP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 19, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
b2sbailey
a Friend of the DIBB

How about you all using 'Whats App' to voice call each other? That way it would come out of your data allowance and not Roaming call charges.
Our family of 4 are all going to get the 3 Pay as you Go sims with the £12.00 20GB data add on to use whilst we're in Florida.

Edited at 03:26 PM.
b2sbailey is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 19, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Gaz Lear
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 6
Mobile

Originally Posted by CookieMonster54 View Post
3 is terrible the data is limited to 3G and is severely throttled you’re better off getting a prepaid plan from T-Mobile once you’re in the USA.
Not any more. I was getting better 4g speeds than I do in the UK
Old 19 Apr 19, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
taffs travels
VIP Dibber

I brought a sim only from 3 and asked the store to set it up to use in Florida, They said it would find a network and then just use it as normal. we did this but it didn't work, i brought the £20 one and it kept saying not enough credit , i am going to try again this year as Vodaphone want £6 per day if you use it but I only want to phone my mum once a day for about 4-5 minutes.
taffs travels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 19, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

I’ve just got two of the 3 payg sims today for myself and dh. I just went for the 5gb for £15 as we didn’t use all the data last year.
We have used them for our past three trips and they work really well.
Myself and dh can call each other whilst away and we can call home too.
Always found the reception and 3G/4G fine both in and out of the parks.
Doesn’t bother me changing number for two weeks and I generally set up a holiday what’s app group for family to see photo etc.
Just put the sim in your phone and call somebody before you leave the UK. Then I also create an online account to check everything is working fine.

Whichever one you go for you are limited to 12gb while using feel at home. It was unlimited until a couple of years ago.
Would definitely recommend

Edited at 09:06 PM.
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 12:08 AM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by taffs travels View Post
I brought a sim only from 3 and asked the store to set it up to use in Florida, They said it would find a network and then just use it as normal. we did this but it didn't work, i brought the £20 one and it kept saying not enough credit , i am going to try again this year as Vodaphone want £6 per day if you use it but I only want to phone my mum once a day for about 4-5 minutes.

When you convert £20 to the 'at home' add on that gives the minutes and data you lose the £20 payg balance as you converted to at home and have 0 payg balance, so cannot makes calls outside 'at home'. If you do not add any payg balance you will get this if you make a call out of the at-home allowance. IN theory, this should not be an issue as most calls are in the at home allowance, such as calls back to the UK.

However, you can not call US numbers (£1.40 a min needed on payg balance) and if you do not use +44 or 0044 in front of the numbers to call uk it will assume a US number and say no credit.
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post

Me and my mum both bought £10 Three sims last time. They worked perfectly for calling and texting each other. The only issue I had was that I had data roaming disabled when we left the UK because I had my own sim in until we arrived. I couldn’t get it to connect to the internet and was told that it was because data roaming had to be enabled on my phone before I left.

Do Vodafone or EE offer one month rolling contracts on their plans with roaming? If so that would be another option (although you’d need to remember to cancel).
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List