Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 16 Apr 19, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
OP. I don't think you will ever get a consensus on this question.

I'm in the 'no car not going' camp. Others swear by Uber and can prove mathematically it can be a huge saving.

To me thought the one word that keeps coming to the fore is flexibility. If I fancy nipping to Publix at 5.00pm for a loaf of bread I just jump in the car and go. Flexible.
I've jumped in a Lyft at 5am no problem but to be fair I avoid supermarkets when I can so wouldn't be nipping out for a loaf of bread at 5am , home or away
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 19, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I am chuckling at Uber or Lyft is "hard work"
Get in hire car , turn on sat nav , slavishly follow Sat Nav , shout at husband when he ignores Sat Nav and then has to loop back or misses turn , find parking space , trek from parking lot to destination ... return to parking lot , eye up all the cars wondering which is ours as they all look the same ... find car , turn on Sat Nav , navigate back. ... versus ... order Lyft on app , get into Lyft , often have interesting conversation with driver as bonus always interesting to get a locals perspective , arrive at destination ... return , order Lyft from right outside, relax whilst chauffeured home .

Different strokes and all that but I honestly can't see how Lyft is hard work

I'm not a "popper out" either home or away and I understand how a hire car works better if you are but I'm either enjoying the pool and relaxing or I'm off out somewhere specific ...
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 19, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PIGLET38 View Post
We have always had a car and I love the flexibility of it, but as we are only doing Universal this year for 10 nights we have decided to just Uber instead. Weighing up the cost of the car hire, fuel and the parking at Hard Rock we have decided that it will be cheaper to just Uber. I’m hoping it will work out okay
We are doing just I Drive next week , we will Lyft from the airport and pick a car up the day before we leave for Tampa and then Vero. With Lyft and maybe even I Trolley I can't see the point . Personally I have both apps and prefer Lyft of the two . With new registrations and referral codes on two phones you'll save even more too !
Old 16 Apr 19, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Brinko
Gone all Goofy

Originally Posted by 3family View Post
It depends on your holiday though. For many it is far cheaper to not have a car when rental, parking etc is included if your holiday is based around the parks

The argument is basically cost v flexibility and that’s down to each group
I suppose that makes sense, I guess I was more suiting my reply to my holiday, and not factoring in that someone else may have more "local" plans etc.
Brinko is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 19, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I've jumped in a Lyft at 5am no problem but to be fair I avoid supermarkets when I can so wouldn't be nipping out for a loaf of bread at 5am , home or away
Mr TM said 5pm, not 5am.

Like you, I personally would think popping out somewhere in an Uber/Lyft would be easier than getting there yourself in a hire car. You're paying Uber/Lyft for convenience - to chauffeur you to the location of your choice with no effort from yourself. You don't have to bother about knowing the directions to the mall/park/supermarket, remembering to drive on the right, finding a parking spot, etc. The whole point of taxis is that they are less effort, that's why they exist.

Of course, popping to various locations multiple times a day or going long distances would end up being expensive if using taxis or Uber/Lyft. And that's where a hire car comes in.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 10:49 AM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 19, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Now that sort of indecisive in Orlando would drive me insane ... and I'd question how many hidden gems you'd find

Outside of Orlando ... absolutely though ! (Which is why we have a car from day six when we flee the madness that is Orlando this month )

Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
Personally I wouldn't be without a car

You can't get an Uber/Lyft and tell them to "just drive" so you can explore.

If you are happy with planning point A to point B whilst missing out Points C, D, E, that unusual little F that you spotted and... ooohhhhh... what is that G over there then keep with other forms of travel.

For me you cannot beat that freedom of being able to explore WHERE you want WHEN you want. For me this is priceless and we have had our best times finding little gems that you would never see if you just went from A to B.
Old 16 Apr 19, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Even with a hire car I wouldn't drive from the Contemporary to MK it'd be madness when it's a short walk
Old 16 Apr 19, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Grace_1412
Excited about Disney

Coulndt imagine not having a car even hen we have stayed on site for the full holiday. Convinience for a few extra quid wins every time for me plus the difference between fly drive and flight only with BA for this year an last meant it was a no brainer
Grace_1412 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 19, 12:26 AM  
Link to this Post
nkotb4life
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I am chuckling at Uber or Lyft is "hard work"
Get in hire car , turn on sat nav , slavishly follow Sat Nav , shout at husband when he ignores Sat Nav and then has to loop back or misses turn , find parking space , trek from parking lot to destination ... return to parking lot , eye up all the cars wondering which is ours as they all look the same ... find car , turn on Sat Nav , navigate back. ... versus ... order Lyft on app , get into Lyft , often have interesting conversation with driver as bonus always interesting to get a locals perspective , arrive at destination ... return , order Lyft from right outside, relax whilst chauffeured home .

Different strokes and all that but I honestly can't see how Lyft is hard work

I'm not a "popper out" either home or away and I understand how a hire car works better if you are but I'm either enjoying the pool and relaxing or I'm off out somewhere specific ...
We hired a car first Florida trip. You make it sound simple! for us I would add paying tolls we didn't need to because we took the wrong turn/missed a turn, SATNAV naggy lady demanding we make a Uturn where legally possible, husband dramatically screeching at me "your gonna kill us all" while I made a fingers crossed legal Uturn, us falling out and not speaking to each other. Repeat on several journeys!
Next time we went we just used uber and lyft. It was lovely, and really not very expensive with all the discount codes they give you.
nkotb4life is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 19, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

I can't drive so a car isn't an option for me. I'm used to getting public transport everywhere at home so it's business as usual for me at Disney! I get an Uber when going outside Disney and it's a luxury to me - actually being in a car!
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List