Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 28 Mar 19, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I agree, it's expensive and not for everyone (me included) but I don't get why people are knocking Disney for it. At the end of the day they are a company, responsible to their shareholders, and there to make a profit.

They responded proactively to the slump post 9/11 with fantastic offers and promotions to temp visitors back and now a lot of people are miffed that they have been gradually reducing those offers as numbers increase. You can see it with free dining, it was a perk offered to visitors from the UK and Ireland and worked really well but it looks like they might have stopped it for 2020 and people are not happy. They have made lots of investments in the parks and now have a couple of premium products that will pull in huge crowds so the pendulum has swung the other way and they can start charging for extras knowing there are plenty of people willing to pay.

It's a matter of perspective, some people want to nickle and dime everything but for others this will be a must do event and will no doubt sellout. We're going to see a lot more of this as Disney continue to offer premium paid extras. They're not forcing anyone to attend, all the standard theme park rides and attractions are still there for everyone to enjoy so it's up to the individual if they're prepared to pay for "extras"

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by TinkTatoo View Post
I agree, it's expensive and not for everyone (me included) but I don't get why people are knocking Disney for it. At the end of the day they are a company, responsible to their shareholders, and there to make a profit.

They responded proactively to the slump post 9/11 with fantastic offers and promotions to temp visitors back and now a lot of people are miffed that they have been gradually reducing those offers as numbers increase. You can see it with free dining, it was a perk offered to visitors from the UK and Ireland and worked really well but it looks like they might have stopped it for 2020 and people are not happy. They have made lots of investments in the parks and now have a couple of premium products that will pull in huge crowds so the pendulum has swung the other way and they can start charging for extras knowing there are plenty of people willing to pay.

It's a matter of perspective, some people want to nickle and dime everything but for others this will be a must do event and will no doubt sellout. We're going to see a lot more of this as Disney continue to offer premium paid extras. They're not forcing anyone to attend, all the standard theme park rides and attractions are still there for everyone to enjoy so it's up to the individual if they're prepared to pay for "extras"
I agree with a lot of your points and yes people will pay for extra experiences or better offerings.

That's absolutely fine until it impacts on those not paying for them or not able to pay for them

More and more we are seeing those visitors penalised. For example, made to leave Parks early to cater for paid for evening events which are increasing year on year.
Areas blocked off to allow better viewing of fireworks etc.

The list goes on and on and we should note that this DVC event will also block the normal Park guests from the prime firework viewing area at Epcot.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Tink to me that is the issue, they were quite happy to take their "Core fans" money whilst times were hard but now those same "Core fans" are being priced out of the market whilst Disney chase those big spending guests.
Personally we are now in the "stick or twist" conundrum, do we add on as planned or start going off-site again, added to that is the "value" in visiting Disney going forward - £450 for a pass where I'll perhaps get 3 FP+ & then crazy queues for the rest of the day or spend slightly less & stay at Universal & get FOLP any day every day !
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

For me the payoff is that WDW is more than 1 park, admittedly if the events are restricting other guests with sectioned off areas or early closing that IS incredibly frustrating as we all pay a very large sum of money to be there, but generally I've found it relatively easy to avoid these events impacting on me by choosing to be in another park instead.

I (not a big Star Wars fan) was excited when they first announced this event, as it's while we're there, until I saw the price, I wouldn't even consider it personally, but I'm sure plenty of hard core fans will, - my friend's family (& us) just all clubbed together to get her husband the Lego Deathstar for his 50th at around £650 - so I'm sure they'll have no trouble filling it with fans who think it's worth it to them.

For me DDP has been horrendous, it's stopped us eating onsite over the years, we eat off site far more than we did 10-15 years ago, the restaurants are packed, harder to get into, wait times are ridiculous, prices inflated and the meal feels rushed BUT to many, many others, it's the best things since sliced bread.

Swings and roundabouts I guess, for all our moaning and whether it's right or wrong, I don't doubt for a moment that Disney will keep on raking in the big bucks and still be doing it when we're all long gone.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

These extra events generate revenue, I’d rather have the choice to attend them than ticket prices rise even more than they do.

If I was a Star Wars fan and could afford it, then I’d probably buy a ticket if I wanted to attend.
Old 28 Mar 19, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
Tink to me that is the issue, they were quite happy to take their "Core fans" money whilst times were hard but now those same "Core fans" are being priced out of the market whilst Disney chase those big spending guests.
Personally we are now in the "stick or twist" conundrum, do we add on as planned or start going off-site again, added to that is the "value" in visiting Disney going forward - £450 for a pass where I'll perhaps get 3 FP+ & then crazy queues for the rest of the day or spend slightly less & stay at Universal & get FOLP any day every day !
SD

I hear what you’re saying but us core fans got some great benefits over the years and having experienced them if can feel like we’re loosing out when they dissapear and Disney reverts back to basics but there’s still plenty to enjoy even with only 3 measly fast passes 😄

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 19, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodlez
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

It seems that everyone had the same feeling about the galactic gathering as it has now been cancelled!
Noodlez is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 19, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Brilliant news. Overpriced and under subscribed. Another egg on face fiasco for WDW

About time they smelt the coffee. You cannot milk the cash cow to death which they seem to be trying to achieve.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 19, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Well I said I hope it falls flat on its face. DVC need to realise, greed is not good.
Old 4 Apr 19, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

That Woody BBQ at the Contemporary In July has sold out for each of the 3 days.

I wouldn't bank on the SW one being cancelled due to uptake, my guess is it will be rescheduled for GE.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List