Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 Mar 19, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
harbers
a Friend of the DIBB

August trip - thoughts on doability

Hi all,
We are a family of 4 with 2 DD aged 16 & 13 doing California for the first time a having gone to Florida many times.
We are more interested in sightseeing and touring than being in the city but making an exception for SanFran
Got flights booked last year, in and out of SFO and been planning since.
Current plan
Fly into SFO 4th August, 4 nights in timeshare swop to Donatello in Union Sq area.
Pickup car on the 8th drive to Yosemite, staying 3 nights just outside
Then 2 nights to do Kings Canyon / Sequoia NP
Then drive to Anaheim stay 4 nights with 2 days Disney, and a brief LA visit
Then travel back up to SFO, one night Cambria and 2 nights Monterey fly home late Tuesday 20th.

Only real concern is drive from LA to Cambria, I’m thinking it’s too long and we will miss out on Santa Barbara / Pismo area but struggling to knock any days off. All accommodation is cancellable/changeable.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, are we trying to do too much ?

We are used to lots of travelling so not too concerned over the miles having done a Rockies tour last summer which the girls said was best trip ever.
harbers is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi all sounds fairly good , if you want to save a night drop it of LA.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

How about doing 3 nights Anaheim for your two days of Disney then the next day drive to LA setting off early to have a day sightseeing etc before stopping for the night in North LA or even driving up to Santa Barbara for the night. You're then a lot closer to Cambria, could visit Pismo Beach for lunch on the drive up.

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Cambria is only an hour or so up the road from Pismo, but there are a few places worth to stop, so 2-3 hours extra.

As mentioned above, why not continue on from your LA tour the night before and get North of LA to make the next day easier.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 19, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post
harbers
a Friend of the DIBB

Thanks for your thoughts.
Our 4 nights Anaheim will mean arriving late on the 13th from Sequoia, then planning an LA day on the 14th, with a later start, then 2 days Disney then headed to Santa Monica in the morning before then up to Cambria
I guess we could swap the La day to the end then stay somewhere just north of Santa Monica and head on up from there the following day. Just felt after the drive from Sequoia the later start the next day may be needed.
Only other option I can think is maybe losing a day at Kings/sequoia, are both doable in a day in the summer?
So frustrating but exciting that there is soo much to fit in
harbers is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 19, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

LA is 60-90 minutes drive each way from Anaheim. It is also north which is a) the way you will have come from Sequoia and b) the direction you will be going to PCH.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 19, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
harbers
a Friend of the DIBB

Thanks
Unfortunately we want to stay in Anaheim to be able to get to Rope Drop both days so staying in LA is not an option
Thinking best solution is to drop a night from our Monterey stay. Was planning 2 nights to go Whale watching one day, but we have already managed to do this in Vancouver (and it is just awesome) so may have to skip that this time 🤔
Old 29 Mar 19, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by harbers View Post
Thanks
Unfortunately we want to stay in Anaheim to be able to get to Rope Drop both days so staying in LA is not an option
Thinking best solution is to drop a night from our Monterey stay. Was planning 2 nights to go Whale watching one day, but we have already managed to do this in Vancouver (and it is just awesome) so may have to skip that this time 🤔
If you’re planning a lie in then driving to LA in what could be horrendous traffic I shouldn’t think you’ll get to see much before driving back?
If you have 3 nights in Anaheim you can still rope drop both days in Disney on the 14th and 15th then on the 16th you have the full day in LA before stopping for the night further north. I know they’ll be early starts both days but at least you can leave your car as I doubt you’ll need it for Disney (depending on if you’re walking distance of course)

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 19, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Or!
San Fran 4 nights
Yosemite 3 nights
Monterey 2 nights
Cambria 1 night
LA 1 night
Anaheim 3 nights
Sequoia/Kings Canyon 2 nights
Before driving back to SFO for flight home?

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 29 Mar 19, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
harbers
a Friend of the DIBB

Thanks SL
I was under the impression that the best way to get into LA was to miss the morning rush hour and target 10.00 when it would be quieter - I know that is relative..
Are you suggesting it would be busier, as if so we would certainly have to change our thoughts.
Thanks also for the reverse option, may look into that a little more