Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 12 Apr 19, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by TinkTatoo View Post
When it’s the same old thing being churned out time and again it tends to constitute a moan, I normally don’t bother reading those threads but there’s so many of them lately they’re hard to avoid. The Dibb is mainly about trip planning and advice. Perhaps we need a new venting forum or a social group set up

I remember a time when there weren’t EMH so for me they were always a bonus

I agree but there’s a difference between talking about things or just criticising without offering any solutions

Anyway you’re right, best to just walk on by these threads in future, I think it’s a symptom of our society that everyone has become too entitled.
The funny thing is the moaning about the alleged moaning!

The Dibb isn't mainly what you say, it's different things to different members and people shouldn't have to hide these kinds of discussions from people who don't like them. It really is up to you to avoid them - it's not that hard to stop reading a thread!

If the posts were all about the one topic, I might have some sympathy, but Disney just keep rolling out so many new price, service and product changes - there always seems to be a new one to discuss - and yes, it lead to discontent, which we'd like to be able to talk about on a Disney discussion forum.

Lots of people are frustrated about Disney and with good reason. I hadn't even realised the DVC changes.

Plus, it isn't up to us to come up with business solutions or to consider the business aspects of Disney more than some of us have. It's up to us to be the Guests and we speak as such.

P.S. This isn't about being entitled - it's a shame you feel you have to make that kind of comment just because you don't like other people expressing their opinions.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside

Edited at 09:19 PM.
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 19, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Pootle
Very Serious Dibber

Pootle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
People do have a right to moan about blatant money grabbing and post about an obscene wage increase. Holidays at WDW are becoming out of reach for a lot of people.Just check out the free DDP thread and the fact it is being launched again in 2020 has meant some people have now made the decision that they can go.
Whilst I am far from uncritical of Disney as a money-making machine, my thoughts are generally in line with Jakki (TinkTatoo) on this.

I have emboldened the above because affording a regular - or even one at all - Disney holiday for most families would not have been possible in the 50s, 60s (California), 70s or 80s either! And as the financial advice goes ‘past performance is no indication of future performance’. The fact is that Disney is still filling the parks with people who can afford it. Raising the price is another way of manipulating visitor numbers; although I am certainly not suggesting that is the prime motive of Disney.

I have never bought into the ‘loyalty’ line. We go because it suits us and we enjoy it. If/when there is another recession, Disney will merely offer great incentives to get the numbers up. I was there when they ‘mothballed’ resorts after 9/11 and there were fantastic deals to be had, and visitor numbers built again.

Moan away, but there will be people going for their first visit in 2019 who will think it represents great value. Admittedly, probably not us Brits. And for the record, I’ve been going since 1988 (but often don’t bother with the parks now unless with grandchildren, despite having enough non-expiring tickets to see me out) and I’ve been moaning about the cut-backs in the customer experience since the early 90s! One of many examples; I loved Pleasure Island - I am sure there are many who did not experience it but enjoy the cash-generating cow that is Disney Springs.

Things change and often it is very disappointing, I get that.
Old 13 Apr 19, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
The funny thing is the moaning about the alleged moaning!
The funny thing is I've only mentioned it on one thread

P.S. This isn't about being entitled - it's a shame you feel you have to make that kind of comment just because you don't like other people expressing their opinions.
I totally respect other peoples opinions and their right to express them, it just gets a bit monotonous when the same thing is churned out over and over again hence my one post on the subject.

I chose the word entitled as I felt the description fitted

believing oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.

There just seems to be a general consensus that because we've been given perks in the past that we are "entitled" to keep them despite circumstances being totally different from when those perks were introduced and, that Disney are completely in the wrong for changing them in anyway!

Pootle summed it up well,

Things change and a lot of people don't like change!

Anyway, I'm off now to plan my next trip, with or without EMH, $6 charges for grocery deliveries, $80 Illuminations dinners and whatever other changes Disney makes between now and then. In the meantime I'll happily scroll on by all the negative posts

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 19, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

I barely have the stamina to stay up for HEA these days so thankfully this doesn't affect me

Disney are getting more and more annoying with their constant money grabbing though
Old 13 Apr 19, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Valentine
Imagineer

Mrs Valentine's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 21
Extra Magic Hours are a perk that's offered to on site guests, and as a perk, Disney are well within their rights to modify or remove it as they see fit. There have been may perks over the years (which we all took advantage of) in response to a drop in attendance following 9/11 but since then the numbers have steadily increased and Disney no longer need to offer any incentives to fill the parks / rooms.

There seems to be a lot of Disney bashing going on lately, but whats not being address is the fact that Disney are a business and as such are there to make as much profit as they can. The fact they are now offering so many paid extras goes to show that there are people willing to pay for them and while that's the case they'll probably remove further perks and start charging for them.

At the end of the day your park tickets allow you into the parks during set times and that's usually 9am - 9pm, even Seaworld and Universal close at a similar time and no one is complaining about that. I appreciate MK closes early for the Halloween and Christmas parties but that has always been the case. As an on site guest you can still get EMH in the morning if you want which is more than off site guests get.

The bottom line is that Disney can and will charge what they like for extras, and it doesn't matter how much Bob Iger earns or whether they want you to pay $6 to have groceries delivered to your room. If people don't like it then they should vote with their feet and find somewhere else to go on holiday rather than moan every single time Disney does something they don't like. There's going to be plenty more extra charges and we just have to get used to it as it's your choice to pay or not.
The thing I think people are getting annoyed about, it the way Disney as a whole is straying away from Walt Disneys dream of it being a magical place that most people, even if not often, could get to and enjoy. Not that only if you have a ton of extra money for the after hours events etc. will you feel you are having a magical time. It has lost something in transition. Its not Disney bashing, but as someone that remembers how wonderful DTD used to be and CBR before all the refurb (The list goes on) it just feels very money grabbing now on every single level. It has always been a business, but you weren't quite aware of it to the level that you are now. Thats why I think some of the magic has gone.

DisneyJulie
Mrs Valentine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 19, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

...I chose the word entitled as I felt the description fitted

believing oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.

There just seems to be a general consensus that because we've been given perks in the past that we are "entitled" to keep them despite circumstances being totally different from when those perks were introduced and, that Disney are completely in the wrong for changing them in anyway!
That's not the general consensus at all. The "entitled" label is misplaced (and a bit insulting) (and I know what it means ) , but I think it's partly because your interpretation of what we're saying isn't really accurate. (Always a problem between humans, let alone between complete strangers on a forum!)

I did mention that the EMH, among other things, weren't really perks to me, but a part of the Disney package for which they are paid handsomely! They can change the package as they wish, of course , but it's not entitled for customers to lament a situation where there are so many changes which mean less (service/product) but for much more (money). It's about being frustrated and disappointed - customer to business.

We're hardly people demanding something for nothing! We just don't like the direction in which the Disney, we have long loved, is going.

P.S. The comment about the moaning about moaning was general, not specific to your posts.

However you look at it, we're all involved in some kind of moaning about moaning about moaning about moaning.

...Which reminds me of that FRIENDS scene, "They don't know that we know they know we know!"

Originally Posted by Mrs Valentine View Post
...as someone that remembers how wonderful DTD used to be and CBR before all the refurb (The list goes on) it just feels very money grabbing now on every single level. It has always been a business, but you weren't quite aware of it to the level that you are now. Thats why I think some of the magic has gone.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside

Edited at 05:46 PM.
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 19, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Tink is bang on with the entitlement theme.

The drop is evening hours is matched by the Halloween and Xmas parties so the title of the thread is deliberately misleading.

IMO the hours will return when other events are not running, which is the other 9 months of the year.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 19, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post
dizneemad
VIP Dibber

Prior to buying into DVC many years ago, I weighed up onsite v offsite and one of the plus points was the extra park hours Used to be 3hrs in an evening back then. Work that out over 14 day trip and was like 2-3 days extra park days. Now if booking I would possibly book off site as the benefits do not cover the extra outlay. That said it is my choice to choose.(being DVC I will still be onsite)
Money grabbing on the other hand, did I miss the thread where photopass was now included with your park ticket, used to cost approx $150 each year, but no big moan about an extra perk back then. Will it disappear in the future and you will have to pay, who knows but once again it will be my choice to choose if I will pay for it.
Enjoy and make the most of the benefits while they are here. You never know when they will be gone but then enjoy what may replace them also.20% discount as an annual pass holder bonus now only 10% but still making the most of it!
Old 16 Apr 19, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Mrs Valentine View Post
The thing I think people are getting annoyed about, it the way Disney as a whole is straying away from Walt Disneys dream of it being a magical place that most people, even if not often, could get to and enjoy. Not that only if you have a ton of extra money for the after hours events etc. will you feel you are having a magical time. It has lost something in transition. Its not Disney bashing, but as someone that remembers how wonderful DTD used to be and CBR before all the refurb (The list goes on) it just feels very money grabbing now on every single level. It has always been a business, but you weren't quite aware of it to the level that you are now. Thats why I think some of the magic has gone.
you mentioned DTD, it used to be great, we could easily spend 3 or 4 evenings in the 2 weeks walking around DTD and going to DQ

2 trips ago, we parked up in the garage and walked down the stairs and saw the crowds, headed to the WoD store and got what we wanted and made a quick exit

last trip we gave it another shot, honestly it left us cold, ram packed with people, high end designer stores selling stuff for high end prices ( though DD spent in Pandora and DW in Alex and Ani )

I am afraid DTD is long gone and it is now just another bland Mall
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 19, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

KTP is/was the only person saying that evening extra hours where going. On other sites people have said that Disney said to them they are staying.
KTP said they where going based on the released hours for October which everybody knows can and will change this far out.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List