Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Apr 19, 07:25 AM  
Link to this Post
jlbf06
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by legallyblonde View Post
Sorry to hijack this post, but does anyone know if you have to pay for the flights in full at time of booking, or can you pay just a deposit?
We paid in full but I’ve seen My Magic Holiday quote that they can take deposit only for TC flights so maybe try them?
jlbf06 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 07:49 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisJoandBen89
VIP Dibber

We're flying TC next month, and it will be our first long haul with them. I'm a bit of an aviation geek and the 747 is my favourite plane, but as has been said previously, price is king. Also, our overall experience with Virgin last time out really wasn't all that, so glad of a change.
Old 12 Apr 19, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
k1971
Excited about Disney

We flew MAN-MCO with TC in 2015 on one of the 3 ex MyTours Airbus A300-243 planes that have the downstairs loo configuration. Standard on the way out and premium on the way back. No complaints other than due to a medical emergency we got diverted to Boston and sat on the tarmac for 2 hours with the downstairs loos closed. massive queues until they decided to open them as opening them on the ground was "against normal policy"

We're going again with TC, same route but it looks like a Scandinavian TC plane, as we're flying on a Friday and back on a Sunday.

The food is great - James Martin meals outbound but not so great inbound. Comfort is fine, the IFE is better in Premium with more choice, but At the end of the day, the object is to get to MCO! I can put up with most things for that. The time before was in 1992 with overhead screens! I'll take a tablet with some downloads on it, and a book, in case there's nothing I fancy on the IFE. Truth is I'm just excited to be on a plane!
k1971 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by k1971 View Post
The food is great - James Martin meals outbound but not so great inbound. Comfort is fine, the IFE is better in Premium with more choice, but At the end of the day, the object is to get to MCO! I can put up with most things for that. The time before was in 1992 with overhead screens! I'll take a tablet with some downloads on it, and a book, in case there's nothing I fancy on the IFE. Truth is I'm just excited to be on a plane!
You can just pay the fiver to upgrade to premium-class IFE in economy. We did it just because we had flown premium the year before so I knew how limited economy IFE was in comparison. There was plenty to choose from I thought, lots of fairly recent films. I watcbed Solo, ready player one, Logan, even an episode of tintin.

As you say, back in the day IFE was an optional extra. I learnt that to my cost as a teenager. We'd flown and had IFE previously, so I didn't bother bringing more than a single book. Cue a monarch plane sitting waiting for us with no IFE. I finished my book 3 hours into a 9 hour flight. After that experience, I'll never complain about "limited" IFE again.

TC is an airline, with all that entails. It's very much a go-with-whose-cheaper approach from me. Sat in MCO last year it was the virgin flight that got delayed, we were bang on time. A plane doesn't care what airline it's a part of when it decides not to play ball. Comfort was fine, all economy is basically hell anyway. Plus TC's upgrade prices are normally cheaper on top of cheaper initial fares.
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
taffs travels
VIP Dibber

Used to be a virginista but service unfortunately has depleted to a point where our premium seat was wet,had a hole in it and was basically told like it or lump it,at this point a decision was made to be calm and pursue it on our return,since then we have not flown with them and changed to TC,wish I would have done it years ago(although I have over 40,000 virgin miles),try it and see for yourself just how good they are.We are going again in a few weeks and already booked for October(MNSSHP) and April next year all with TC(prem of course).Hope this helps.
taffs travels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Welshjim22
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I have done TC, VA and BA and TC are my 3rd choice all being equal. You lose some of the basics and they are the worst for hand luggage limits but ultimately the plane gets you there and seats may have been a little thinner allowing for more leg room.
Welshjim22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 19, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

Jumping on this thread as there seems to be a lot of TC experts on here. Booked with them for next summer from Glasgow after only flying VA before (unless you count Monarch 30 years ago).

I just have a few questions

What sort of plane is it likely to be and what configuration?

We are a family of 4 and so considering pre booking seats. If we don't, how far in advance does OLCI open and do you get to pick your seats at this point or is it a case of get what you are given?

Our kids will be 12 and 13 and can verge on the fussy side with plane food. What sort of options do you get with the adult meals and kids meals? Need to decide whether to change them to a kids meal. I know it's a long way off but I like to plan!

I'm guessing we have to pay for drinks on the plane. Anything else to pay for?

Thank you in advance
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 19, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Quensabob
VIP Dibber

Quensabob's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
The planes are Airbus A330 and are 2 4 2 and online check in opens 24 hours before!
We have never pre booked and always sat together, saying that last uear my Son was put at the back of the plane we just mentioned it at check in and they moved him to the row infront!
You get basic tv and movies but can pay £5 each for the premium movie package which gets you lots more choice.
The food going is lovely its by James Martin!

Sunset Ridge Sept2006,Highlands Reserve Sept 2007,Solana Sept 2008,Championsgate March 2010,Courtyard 2011,Clarion Inn June 2013,lakebuena vista resort Sept 2015, Santa Fe Paris Sept 2017,Newport Bay Club Paris March 2018,Clarion inn August 2018,Coronado Springs September 2019, Hotel l’elysee Disneyland Paris March 2020 ,Lake Buena Vista Resort and Spa November2022, Pop Century September 2023

Edited at 07:46 PM.
Quensabob is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 19, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinker-mum
Getting Excited

Mobile

We flew tc last April and for 5 of us saved us £900 vs virgin. Great flight with tc. Loads of space, lovely food and staff. Newspaper and bottle of water way there. Blankets and pillows each on the way home.
Old 15 Apr 19, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
metalguru
Apprentice Imagineer

metalguru's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Thomas Cook in a bit of trouble.
thisismoney/money/...debt-pile.html
metalguru is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List