Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 12 Apr 19, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

Mobile No free DDP from October boycott or not

I wonder if the lack of free DDP from October 2020 will lead to a lack of bookings staying on property. I'm sure no one will book this April and hoping for a Disney rethink.
I'm also wondering if they are testing the water to fully withdraw the offer year round.
If make no sense imo to book a basic style room for £300 plus a night without the benefit of fddp. Ok I know the Americans don't tend to get free dining but only have 3 to 5 days vacations at Disney were we European folk tend to stay 2 weeks. I'm not sure Disney nostalgia extends to £4000 for 14 nights twin room only. Hopefully people will boycott October 2020 onwards so as to send a message were not impressed and hopefully continue the dining plan in future. I will book a villa for under £1500 or 3 bedroom apartment for under £1000
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Peacemaker
Very Serious Dibber

Boycotting will make no difference, they can easily fill the rooms with non-UK guests. Plenty of UK guests will still book anyway, first-time visitors will not miss the free DDP. They may lose a few of the people who book regularly for the free DDP but their place will be easily filled.
Peacemaker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
HappyThoughts
Imagineer

Personally don’t understand the point in boycotting Disney. Yes the lack of free DDP is disappointing but everyone has always known that it would eventually be phased out & come to a stop so the news isn’t exactly a major surprise.

Disney is much more than just free dining IMO 😊
HappyThoughts is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Peacemaker is exactly right - the UK market is a tiny percentage of the onsite guests at WDW, they clearly don't need to fill up the rooms with UK guests in the October-December period now, so thats why they are not offering free dining as an enticement to the UK market in 2020.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

Mobile

They're obviously having no problem filling rooms or they wouldn't be building so many more hotels. Personally I think this is the gradual withdrawal of the fddp. It's quite interesting though that the first 2 weeks of December which are usually a bit quieter aren't included.
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Halowa
Serious Dibber

Mobile

The way America’s holiday is totally different to UK. They come for a mid week or long weekend in most cases. So are happy to stay onsite and pay for DDP. They will fill up resorts no problem.

With developments next year I’m surprised there is any free DDP. The number of locations and times have been reduced and I bet there is also a limit on the numbers.
Old 12 Apr 19, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
thingy003
Excited about Disney

I'm glad that we got free DDP for this year as it makes a big difference for us as to whether or not we can stay on site. However we had decided already that this would be our last year to Orlando for the time being.

As the market changes then Disney will change their offers, as others have said they have looked at all the numbers and decided that they will not have an issue filling the resorts without the free DDP offer for as much time as previous years. If their sums turn out to be incorrect they will be sure to bring this or another offer to customers in order to maintain maximum occupancy
thingy003 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
goodevans
VIP Dibber

goodevans's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
I think it no coincidence that the no free dining in October coincides with The Star Wars opening in HS .

They just do not need to lure people in with Free Dining offers once these huge attractions open

I have only experienced Free Dining the once last year and thought it was a huge bonus ... but not so sure I will be paying Disney prices to stay onsite without it
Like OP says £300+ a night for just a basic room with most of the onsite perks being decimated is not really attractive

Still as others have said do Disney really care about the very small UK market ?
Hotel Cheyenne DLP - 1994,Davy Crockett Ranch DLP - 1996 ,AllStars Sports WDW 1997,DL Hotel DLP - 1998,All Stars Movies WDW - 2000,AKL WDW -03,Newport Bay Club DLP - 04,AKL WDW- 06,Sequoia Lodge DLP 06
Fairfield Inn Marriot Village LBV-12

Hawthorn Suites LBV-14, Hotel Cheyenne DLP-17, LBV, RPR, POR-WDW, AMI+Disney Dream '18
goodevans is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by goodevans View Post
I think it no coincidence that the no free dining in October coincides with The Star Wars opening in HS .

They just do not need to lure people in with Free Dining offers once these huge attractions open

I have only experienced Free Dining the once last year and thought it was a huge bonus ... but not so sure I will be paying Disney prices to stay onsite without it
Like OP says £300+ a night for just a basic room with most of the onsite perks being decimated is not really attractive

Still as others have said do Disney really care about the very small UK market ?
How does it coincide with Star Wars opening? Star wars is opening this August and we are talking about October 2020
Old 12 Apr 19, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

It would be interesting how many UK euro visitors make up the numbers as a percentage. I’m sure us visitors do get the free dip offer but it’s later in the year when they are trying to entice them to stay for a few days. And since the free ddp started for UK visitors virtually everyone I know stay onsite for the free dining plan. Just look at the frenzy on here Facebook twitter etc when it’s announced every year. It’s a marketing success for them. They must be dillusional to think people will spend £4000 to £10000 for a fortnights holiday without the dining plan. I’m sure a few will on their first trip until they see the amount of accommodation that’s available at a fraction of the cost.
It will be intersting next year if they pull the plug on summer fddp which I’m hoping they don’t as it’s our preferred time to go.
Be honest who would pay £6000 for 10 days in a deluxe resort or £4000 to stay in CBR. Those prices are top end new York and London prices not Florida.
Almost forgot those prices don’t factor in the new parking charges.

Edited at 12:37 PM.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List