Old 18 Apr 19, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Yes, you can use a debit card, we did. The US doesn’t tend to call them debit cards though, I think they call them all credit cards, so there may be a misunderstanding there.

I don’t really see the problem. Surely if you do what we did on both our visits - give them the debit card but pay off the balance every few days with something different - then there are no charges? If you aren’t going to use the debit card on holiday otherwise, surely not a problem?

Those taking cash - check how much your insurance covers. It can be quite low. And hotel safes can and do get robbed in WDW just like anywhere else. It’s rare but it can happen.

Old fashioned it may be, but we took TCs and used them to pay off our balance every couple of days. Much safer than cash.
It’s not the paying it off it’s the rolling holds that reduced your credit limit on your CC and reduces the funds available in your account if using a DC

We take cash have done and will always take cash. Like you we pay off every few days. Problem again is, Disney seem to be having various degrees of policy with this one. People have gone down on day three or four to pay to find out that the amount has already gone from the card.

Everyone makes and takes their own choices
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
Gill have you used travellers cheques recently?
No, but I keep an eye on posts about them. You can still use them to pay off your balance at WDW as far as I am aware. I think they are less willing to change them for cash than they used to be (or maybe that’s down to a particular CM not knowing what to do with them).

It did take us a while on one occasion because they had to find a manager who knew how to process them.

On the Magic in 2017 we gave them a cc for ‘hold’ but paid off the balance every couple of days with our FairFx card.

If we were to do that in WDW I am unclear how much hold would be put on the cc now.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you that makes it clearer now. I agree $100 hold each time you spend $101 is a lot, especially as it can take 10 days to clear the hold.

The only other way it could be read is they charge the second $100 after the agreed room limit is reached, which is $500 I believe? This would be more sensible and would mean we could still pay the balance every few days and avoid the extra hold fees. However I’m sure the terms mean they take the second hold when a $101 balance is reached.

We have a reasonably high limit on our credit card so would probably still charge to room for convenience but the extra hold charges would bother me, and I can imagine I will be paying my balance every day at reception to try to avoid some hold charges.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Thank you that makes it clearer now. I agree $100 hold each time you spend $101 is a lot, especially as it can take 10 days to clear the hold.

The only other way it could be read is they charge the second $100 after the agreed room limit is reached, which is $500 I believe? This would be more sensible and would mean we could still pay the balance every few days and avoid the extra hold fees. However I’m sure the terms mean they take the second hold when a $101 balance is reached.

We have a reasonably high limit on our credit card so would probably still charge to room for convenience but the extra hold charges would bother me, and I can imagine I will be paying my balance every day at reception to try to avoid some hold charges.
I’ve emailed WDW for clarification on exactly this. I totally agree the hold should be put in place when you read the room limit but I’ve read elsewhere those limits no longer exist it’s just a rolling $100 hold

I’ve just increased my CC limit as it’s really for emergency cover not general day to day purchases, like you it’ll be a daily visit to pay off the bill
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
I’ve emailed WDW for clarification on exactly this. I totally agree the hold should be put in place when you read the room limit but I’ve read elsewhere those limits no longer exist it’s just a rolling $100 hold

I’ve just increased my CC limit as it’s really for emergency cover not general day to day purchases, like you it’ll be a daily visit to pay off the bill
TB

Is it possible to have a credit balance on the room, say by adding circa $500 on check in ?

Disney332
Old 18 Apr 19, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
TB

Is it possible to have a credit balance on the room, say by adding circa $500 on check in ?

Disney332
Don’t know, it’s a question I’ve asked so as soon as I get a response I’ll let you know
Old 18 Apr 19, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
flutterfly
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I started reading this and thinking it has no effect on me. I now think it does. I think the policy is not set up well for longer stays at all.

Please help me understand - if I place a credit card on my room the is a $100 hold at check in? I charge practically nothing to the room - snacks at waterparks etc definitely less than $100 for my whole stay. Would the additional $100 holds be applied?

Thanks so much - useful thread x
CBR 2015, 2017, 2019 and 2023
flutterfly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Originally Posted by flutterfly View Post
I started reading this and thinking it has no effect on me. I now think it does. I think the policy is not set up well for longer stays at all.

Please help me understand - if I place a credit card on my room the is a $100 hold at check in? I charge practically nothing to the room - snacks at waterparks etc definitely less than $100 for my whole stay. Would the additional $100 holds be applied?

You are absuletly correct. This is based around the average 5 day american stay

It's confusing but my understanding is, and again I'm waiting for wdw to email me back

$100 hold. After 5 days of debt not cleared be it €5 over the hundred. Remember it's any spending that takes you above the hold

So $100 hold check-in

Day2-5 €10 snacks charged to room

= €110

Day 5 €10 removed from CC and €100 hold remains BUT people are reporting an additional $100 hold bring added every 5th day regardless

I will clarify as soon as wdw reply

Edited at 10:41 AM.
Old 18 Apr 19, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Originally Posted by flutterfly View Post

I’m think not. But your small charges will be charged to your card every 5 days.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

I was planning on using my FairFX card against the room as I don't have a credit card with zero transaction fees.

Is it possible to pre-load a gift card onto your room account when you check in (as I have €200 gift card and plan to opt out of housekeeping) and then keep the account topped up with the Fair FX card. I don't really want hundreds of pounds of holds on my Fair FX card especially as it will be nearing the end of the holiday so I am not sure how much I will have left, and don't want to come back with loads still on there because I've had to top up more due to the necessary hold.

I have an Amex and a Starling account, the Amex has foreign transaction fees so don't want to use that and the Starling obviously is a debit card so need the money in the account. Wonder if Starling will bring out a credit card before we go

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List