Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 17 Apr 19, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
xXxSammi88xXx
VIP Dibber

Mobile 5 dining credits to use. Recommendations needed

We are staying onsite for 5 nights so will have 5 table service credits to use. I’m really stuck this time. We would like to try some different places as last time we did the usual character meals like chef mickey,tusker house,crt, crystal palace. We have 2 fussy children,1 has autism and will only eat the standard nuggets,fries,pizza etc. Does anyone have any recommendations? Interested in ohana but seems to have mixed reviews lately
Old 17 Apr 19, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

depends on what kind of meals your after
for character meals cape may breakfast is usually quieter than most though can be a bit tricky to get to
minnies seasonal dine HS was good
bon voyage breakfast is meant to be good but my ds (asd) wouldn't eat anything on the menu
I think there are a couple of other new ones too.
For us buffet style is better than set menu so there are a few we haven't done because of that like garden grill which seems really popular with dibbers

Standard ts
grand floridan cafe is good tends to be quite quiet and an overlooked venue
My ds loved coral reef for the tank - foods ok but not the best
Yak & yeti at AK is fantastic though can be very noisy /busy
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
xXxSammi88xXx
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We did garden grill last time,loved that. I forgot about minnies seasonal dine
Old 17 Apr 19, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Bigmick
Getting Excited

Yak and yeti is the 1st restaurant I recommend to anyone, really nice.
Bigmick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyF1rstT1me
slightly serious Dibber

We did Crystal Palace, Tusker House, Boma, California Grill, Teppan Edo and BOG Breakfast (2a 2c last year, DS were 9 and 5) and found the only restaurant where we absolutely loved the food was Teppan Edo. Everywhere else it was nice enough (except BOG which was the let down of lukewarm food and stale pastries I'd been led to expect but got us well placed for the rides) but nothing to write home about. I wouldn't pay for any of those meals out of pocket - they were insanely overpriced. The second week we were offsite so ate in lots of restaurants and on the whole the food was miles better and cheaper than what we would have paid if we hadn't been on the dining plan.

So to answer your question, I'm not sure that it matters where you book tbh, the food will not wow you. That being said, of the restaurants we ate at, if we had to eat at them again it would be in this order of priority: Teppan Edo, Tusker House, Crystal Palace (though the character element was better at CP than at TH), Cali Grill, Boma, BOG. Not sure this helps, sorry!

Edited at 06:16 PM.
DisneyF1rstT1me is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
xXxSammi88xXx
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyF1rstT1me View Post
We did Crystal Palace, Tusker House, Boma, California Grill, Teppan Edo and BOG Breakfast (2a 2c last year, DS were 9 and 5) and found the only restaurant where we absolutely loved the food was Teppan Edo. Everywhere else it was nice enough (except BOG which was the let down of lukewarm food and stale pastries I'd been led to accept but got us well placed for the rides) but nothing to write home about. I wouldn't pay for any of those meals out of pocket - they were insanely overpriced. The second week we were offsite so ate in lots of restaurants and on the whole the food was miles better and cheaper than what we would have paid if we hadn't been on the dining plan.

So to answer your question, I'm not sure that it matters where you book tbh, the food will not wow you. That being said, of the restaurants we ate at, if we had to eat at them again it would be in this order of priority: Teppan Edo, Tusker House, Crystal Palace (though the character element was better at CP than at TH), Cali Grill, Boma, BOG. Not sure this helps, sorry!
We’re staying at akl so i was considering boma. Did you do breakfast or dinner?
Old 17 Apr 19, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyF1rstT1me
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by xXxSammi88xXx View Post
We’re staying at akl so i was considering boma. Did you do breakfast or dinner?
We did dinner. Like everywhere else, the food was 'alright' but underwhelming. I wouldn't necessarily say don't eat there as it wasn't bad but it wasn't fab either. I do remember it being really noisy and dark in there actually. Nice to be so close to our hotel room though as we were also staying at AKL. Boma gets great reviews from most people.

We just weren't that impressed by the DDP offerings overall, with the exception of Teppan Edo. I hated how tied down we were to our reservations, having to eat when not hungry as I'd made the plans 180(! ) days before! We're hoping to go back next year and are looking at a moderate this time as we don't want the DDP.
DisneyF1rstT1me is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
xXxSammi88xXx
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyF1rstT1me View Post
We did dinner. Like everywhere else, the food was 'alright' but underwhelming. I wouldn't necessarily say don't eat there as it wasn't bad but it wasn't fab either. I do remember it being really noisy and dark in there actually. Nice to be so close to our hotel room though as we were also staying at AKL. Boma gets great reviews from most people.

We just weren't that impressed by the DDP offerings overall, with the exception of Teppan Edo. I hated how tied down we were to our reservations, having to eat when not hungry as I'd made the plans 180(! ) days before! We're hoping to go back next year and are looking at a moderate this time as we don't want the DDP.
I know what you mean. Last time we had 14 days on the dining plan and a few days in i was fed up of food. We wasted so much. This time we’re only doing 5 nights at akl then 9 nights in a villa so we can hit disney for the first 5 days then explore restaurants offsite
Old 17 Apr 19, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We go the same time , staying at akl ( have to say hi ) same ddp , only one I’ve chosen is garden grill breakfast .minnie holiday dine and I may pick mama Melrose as we had a lovely meal oop last time .
Thoughts so far are Ohana, Crystal Palace and storybook dining but still not 100% on them.
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ

Edited at 02:29 PM.
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
xXxSammi88xXx
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
We go the same time , staying at akl ( have to say hi ) same ddp , only one I’ve chosen is garden grill breakfast .minnie holiday dine and I may pick mama Melrose as we had a lovely meal oop last time .
Thoughts so far are Ohana, Crystal Palace and storybook dining but still not 100% on them.
See you there