Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Apr 19, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

I’ve unlocked my phone - what sim do I now get for USA?

Hello,

After my recent thread I looked into my options and basically unless I remortgage I can’t use my Vodaphone in USA. So I’ve unlocked it.

Can someone tell me what sim I need to get to get calls/lots of data etc? Is it a 3 sim?

Thank you!
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Well I have a three sim. I started with a PAYG for all the benefits of 3 Feel at home and that worked well, but it was a pain changing to a different number for the trip, so now I have a contract and they are my permanent provider (£14 unlimited texts, calls and 8GB data). All fine, except, I have a really poor signal indoors at my house and some other places. I live in a busy built up area so I feel it should be better. I don't know if this is a problem with 3, or if I am just unlucky, but I'll prob stick with it at the moment.
Old 18 Apr 19, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
amarooney
VIP Dibber

amarooney's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
The £20 3 PAYG sim lasts for 30 days, gives you 12gb of data and allows calls and texts to UK numbers including UK mobiles being used in the US). It didn't when I last used it allow you to to call US numbers. Essentially perfect for calling home or another member of your party on their UK phone.
amarooney is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
asmidir
Excited about Disney

Use the £20 option on this page
three/Store/SIM/Pay_As_You_Go

Edited at 09:14 PM.
asmidir is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
itsmeGAV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by amarooney View Post
The £20 3 PAYG sim lasts for 30 days, gives you 12gb of data and allows calls and texts to UK numbers including UK mobiles being used in the US). It didn't when I last used it allow you to to call US numbers. Essentially perfect for calling home or another member of your party on their UK phone.
I'll second this one if you sill have a Vodafone contract and don't want to start a new one so you're then covered for the duration of your trip.

I'm on a sim only plan with 3, £20/mo with 100GB Data and Unlimited calls & texts. Worked flawlessly in Florida, just couldn't call US numbers without being charged an arm and a leg, but oh well!
Jan 24 - Family timeshare, Vacation Villages at Parkway
Mar 25 - Family timeshare, Holiday Inn Club Vacations @ Orange Lake
itsmeGAV is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
asmidir
Excited about Disney

Just remember to activate in the UK and get them to enable the feel at home add-on BEFORE you travel to the US - I forgot and had to it when I landed and it was a pain...
asmidir is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
You can just use the 321 PAYG sim if you want (that's what I use). 3p per minute, 2p per text and 1 per Mb. Obviously, if you are a heavier user than me then use the option recommended by others
Old 18 Apr 19, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
JanetteP
Imagineer

Originally Posted by amarooney View Post
Didn't know you could call each other - that will be useful. I usually take mine, but probably should get one for DH as we always lose him in the parks

Janette
Dreamy Corner June 23, Potter’s Villa May 22, Shamu Villa Sep 22,AKL, HRH Lakeside Haven Sep 19, Lakeside Haven RPR May 19. White Blossom & Viburnum Villa Aug 18. SSR, Aurora Villa May 18. Kidani, RPR Champion Florida Villa 17, Staybridge Suites, White Blossom & Owens Villa 16 OKW, Champion Florida Villa & RPR 16, Magic Landings 15, Grand Reserve & HRH 2014, Tuscan Pines 12, Highgrove 09, Legacy Park 07, Indian Point 06 and 05, Florida Pines 04
Graduation Trip 2019
+ Trip Report 2018
JanetteP is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you! I’ll go for the 3 for 30 days. I’m a heavy data user so that will be perfect. Cheers all!
2012 - Sept The 'anniversary trip' SSR. - 2013 - October the bonus trip to POR
2015 - 20th trip!September WLV first trip with DD!
2017 - Sept Poly first trip with two toddlers!
2018 - May AKV & POR the last before school trip.
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2022 - April Poly, SSR, WLV
2023 - POFQ & AKL
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
CookieMonster54
Excited about Disney

3 is terrible the data is limited to 3G and is severely throttled you’re better off getting a prepaid plan from T-Mobile once you’re in the USA.
CookieMonster54 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List