Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 25 Apr 10, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by The Bobbo's View Post
Hi,

It appears that I have coeliac disease too (currently undergoing tests) - however I am also vegetarian, and really worried that I'm going to starve on holiday!

I have a list of restaurants that cater for allergies however, the coeliac options are mainly meat or fish based. I'm sure I won't be the first veggie coeliac, I just need to be reassured. I made my ADR's before the doctor realised what my problem was and at the moment we are booked in at: Le Cellier, Boma, Sanaa, Kouzzina, Cinderella's Royal Table, Crystal Palace, Tokyo Dining, Princess Dining (Epcot), O'hana and the Hoop de doo.

Can anyone reassure me please? Thanks. x
I can't comment specifically on your choice of restaurants but any restaurant at Disney caters for 'special diets' If you haven't already done so, call Disney dining and have them make a note on your ADRs of your requirements, then contact Disney Special Diets (details on the first page of this thread). When you arrive at the restaurant(s) a chef will usually come out and talk to you (or else a senior member of the waiting staff), nothing is too much trouble for Disney
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 10, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
The Bobbo's
Very Serious Dibber

Wow, that was super fast!

Thanks Clare x
The Bobbo's is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 10, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by The Bobbo's View Post
Wow, that was super fast!

Thanks Clare x
No problem
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 10, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
After my latest trip I'm pleased to say Disney 'special dining' is still as great as ever.

Newfound favourites are Tutto Italia - they had the most wonderful 'authentic' gluten free pasta - and Flying Fish.

Flying Fish use 'innovative' cooking techniques whereby they can recreate absolutely anything on the menu to be gluten free. I had the crab cake and what came out was the size of a grapefruit - huge and very delicious! All the sauces at Flying Fish are gluten free.

Here's some food pictures.

Gluten free cupcake (specially ordered from the Boardwalk Bakery - it was a gluten chocolate muffin, iced to make it a cupcake)

Tutto Italia - 'penne' caprese (but with gluten free pasta instead)

Flying Fish - potato wrapped red snapper with on a bed of leek fondue with a veal glace, red wine, and cassis butter - heaven on a plate!

Flying Fish - crab cake, adapted to be gluten free, and much larger than the normal crab cake!

Flying Fish - 'herb crusted' new york strip steak, but without the herb crust, therefore gluten free.

Snacks included gluten free chocolate chip cookies from the Main Street Bakery and rice krispie Mickey Ears from DTD.

Main Street Confectionary and Seashore Sweets on the Boardwalk also are selling boxes of Minnie/Mickey cookies, gluten free
Old 24 May 10, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsGrumpy
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks Clare - more options to try.
MrsGrumpy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 10, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
I really felt Disney has up'd their game re. special dining, I've always had great meals, but this year the meals were really great
Old 30 May 10, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post

Just wanted to say a massive thank you to all the contributors to this thread. I started having food problems last October and a blood test in the last few weeks suggested wheat/gluten could be the problem. My doctor has advised me to carry on with a normal diet till further tests can be carried out, however I have told him about my imminent trip to the land of mouse and he has promised me that the appointment will be after my hol's so for now I am cutting wheat/gluten down to the bare minimum and it's having a massive impact, I feel a lot better and more confident that I will be able to cope. And now, with all the info, guidance, help and advice here in this thread, I am better informed of my options, So in short, Thank You everyone. Keri x
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 10, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Glad this thread has helped you Ken, it's great being able to go on holiday and not have to worry - hope you have a fantastic time
Old 26 Jul 10, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
LDISNEYFOX
Imagineer

Really brilliant thread and great information.

I am so glad to see, as our next trip we have the Disney Dining Plan, there is so much choice and the choice is really good healthy meals.

But my dilemma is carb counting as Thomas who is a Coeliac is also a Type 1 Diabetic. Thomas is on an insulin pump and his brother James will be on an insulin pump next week, so I have to be on the ball with carb counting.

Claire, did you carb count while you were out there last?

I have tried to find out what buns they use for burgers and see how many carbs are on the packaging but I am not getting anywhere fast. I know for Coeliacs they use Ener-G buns but not sure which ones. Has anyone got any carb counting information from their last trip. Pasta can be a nightmare as it is slow releasing carbs and especially if it is hot out there I dont want the boys bloods to plummit.

2012 WDW Mom's Panel Search Finalist
Sheraton Safari Jan 05 & Feb 08
Disney Port Orleans Nov 06, Jan 10, May 11, June 12, Oct 13, July 15, Aug 15, Nov 15, Feb 16, Aug 16 and Dec 17
LDISNEYFOX is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 10, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Thanks Louise.

This is probably going to sound 'strange' but as I'm a type 1 of 30+ years I tend to know the value of carbs/food without actually giving a value, so I'll have a gluten free burger bun and either a small side of fries or a small soda (not diet/sugar free) and I know that with the insulin I'm taking I should be OK.

I'm afraid I can't help re. the carbs, but it might be worth emailing special diets to see if they can obtain a comprehensive list for you?

Tags
dining, gluten free, special diets