Notices

Old 11 Aug 14, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Wozi
Imagineer

The Secret's Out! - August 2014 Trip - Travel Day - Day 0

My brother got round just before 7am I think we left approx 7.10 am. The roads were empty, he dropped us off in the drop off car park just gone 7.30am.

We had a quick stop in M&S to buy some bits for the children to eat on the plane, before making our way up to security. We joined a queue of about 4/5 families in front of us. Our officer was very friendly, and then as usual I got stopped, and had to have one of my bags (my Kipling multiple) swiped/tested, but at 7.58 we were walking into duty free. Can't believe how quick it had been, so pleased I didn't waste £12 on the express security, because from the time we were dropped off in the car park to walking into duty free was less than 30 minutes. The kids chose to have their breakfast in Burger King. Chips, chicken nuggets and a coke .. yuk, but at a pricey £13.90.

Si and I opted to go to Wetherspoon, where he had the large breakfast (£7.99), a slice of toast (99p) with an orange juice £2.05). I assume it was good, because he ate it all.

And I had the continental breakfast and coffee which was £6.70. So we spent a total of £17.73.

We then had a wander round the shops, apart from magazines the only item purchased was a clinique whoppin' watermelon chubby stick by me

At around 9.35am, gate 42 opened and we made our away towards the gate ready to board. We were flying on Dreamliner - 1B Alfie, not a brilliant photo.

We were due to fly at 10.30am, however we were slightly late. We pulled back from the gate at 10.33am and at 10.39am started to taxi, and at 10.45am. 15 minutes later than planned, we took off. It was quite a bumpy take off but with the rainy weather outside and the sky full of thick dark clouds it was hardly surprising!
We were in seats 15/16 AB, if anyone's interested in row 15, there are 2 windows. This was our first time in economy, our last 3 trips we've always gone PE, but the whole service last year was awful and we felt we wasted £800.

The first drinks service at approx 12.10, and we were advised to double or triple up on drinks as there would be just 1 more service later towards the end of the flight. We paid £12.60 for 2 ribena's, 2 cans of Pepsi and 3 cans of Pepsi Max.

Food wise, I'd decided to go for the healthy/low calorie option. I had a chicken dinner, roll, a fruit purée dessert with I'd say like a cheesecake base and cheese & crackers.

I have to say it was really nice, also I got mine before everyone else including the kids.

Ellie doesn't like plane food, so I didn't get a picture of the kids meal but it was sausage and mash, a roll, fruit pot, I think apple juice and a bag of natural fruity jelly sweets.

The adults meal was a chicken pasta, which Si enjoyed, roll, a Lily O'Brien milk chocolate mousse with caramel, water and a Lily O'Brian chocolate square. Jordan doesn't like puddings, strange I know, so I got to eat his:p. Although it was rich, it was lovely.

Soon it was time for afternoon tea, being on the healthy/low cal option, I had a houmous, carrot & coriander on a wholemeal roll, with a pot of fruit and a bag of Special K cracker crisps. Wasn't keen on the crisps, but the roll was rather nice.

No pictures of the adults or kids afternoon tea. But Ellie's was a cheese roll, Jaffa cake bar, apple juice and I'm sure something else but I can't remember, edited to add it was a strawberry yogurt! The boys had an egg roll, fruit scone with strawberry jam and clotted cream, and a tub of water not sure if there was anything else. There rolls were no where as big as mine though, reminded me of the mini sub rolls they do in M&S.

So, Dreamliner, well we had plenty of leg room in economy, but since we're a family of short people that's hardly surprising, but the seats were quite thin, good job I haven't got a big bum. Apart from a bit of turbulence when we took off, and when we were descending, it was great. They did the weird show with the lights, not quite sure what that's all about, can anyone enlighten me?

Entertainment wise wasn't too bad, I watched Noah and Divergent, and to be honest the flight seem to go really quick, I believe we landed almost an hour early

We landed at about 1.47pm local time, so about 6.47pm back home. Immigration was really quick and we had a lovely immigration officer who made it a pleasant experience. Our cases were one of the first off, we picked up the directions to our villa, and then it was off to Alamo to pick up the car which for some reason Simon decided to upgrade?. I think we were all done within 30 minutes.

I'm not sure why but Si went for an upgrade, this is totally out of character for Si. We had already got a SUV, but he said the photo he was shown made it look small, so went for the upgrade, and this is what we ended up with, a huge monster of a beast! It is lovely but massive, there's no way I could drive it.

So within about 30 minutes of landing, we set off, and this is where the journey turned a little damp. We drove into an absolutely awful storm, luckily the majority of drivers had the sense to slow down, but the wind was up and the rain lashing down, you couldn't see a thing! Eventually we made it to our villa. First impressions weren't brilliant, not sure if it's because we were tired, or because the drive to the villa hadn't been so nice, or just because it was raining!

This is the outside of the villa, photo taken this morning.

We're on a gated community, Mission Park, which is on the 27 but in the other direction to Lake Davenport Estates where we stayed last year.

We're staying in one of Thomson's gold villas, but to be honest it's not what we would exactly call gold. Don't get me wrong with have 4 big bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, a games room, swimming pool with jacuzzi, but it's not what we were expecting. It's pretty quiet, although you can hear a slight hum from I assume the 27 when sitting outside.

We also took a quick trip to Walmart, which was horrible, but I think that was more to do with the fact that we were tired and grumpy, and only there to get a few supplies, and they have so many different products to chose from.

This is our pool area, which I think this is one of the disappointing aspects, the fact that we feel the pool is overlooked. Okay it's not directly overlooked, but our last 2 villa's have backed onto open views, so we kind of feel we're a goldfish bowl.

We have to go to the office today to sign some forms and give our cc details, so might just mention we're a little disappointed, plus there are a couple of niggles such as the kettle for the hob handle is broken, however this morning we found the electric kettle so not too bad. However, it's not the dump I'm making it out to be, and waking up this morning to blue skies and warmth it's not so bad.

We all fell asleep around 9pm.

Old 11 Aug 14, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Wozi - 11 Aug 14 12:51 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 14, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Brilliant flight report look forward to reading more. We fly out on the Dreamliner when we go in October so liked your reporting of that we are on row 14 just in front where you sat
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 14, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
MissVincent
Imagineer

Shame you are disappointed with the villa. Great start to your report
MissVincent is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 14, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
SunriseLV
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Mobile

What a great trip report. The Dreamliner is great - we've only flown once on the DL and the leg room was fantastic. We must be a family of short people too 😉.

We hope you managed to settle in to your villa but as you say the sun, heat and blue skies do make all the difference.
Looking forward to reading all your reports - but above all have a great holiday.
SunriseLV is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 14, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Mobile

I am feeling your pain You were truly spoilt with your last 2 villas but if you feel this isn't worthy then you must say something. I'm not familiar with this area ... Will google it tomorrow.

Hope you had a lovely first day.

Ali
x
Col&Ali is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 14, 01:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Wozi
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Megandllsmum View Post
Brilliant flight report look forward to reading more. We fly out on the Dreamliner when we go in October so liked your reporting of that we are on row 14 just in front where you sat
Thanks, absolutely loved Dreamliner, no one seems to be feeling the effects of any jet lag
Old 12 Aug 14, 01:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Wozi
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MissVincent View Post
Shame you are disappointed with the villa. Great start to your report
Thanks, villa is growing on us. I think it's just the decor we're a little disappointed with.
Old 12 Aug 14, 01:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Wozi
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SunriseLV View Post
What a great trip report. The Dreamliner is great - we've only flown once on the DL and the leg room was fantastic. We must be a family of short people too 😉.

We hope you managed to settle in to your villa but as you say the sun, heat and blue skies do make all the difference.
Looking forward to reading all your reports - but above all have a great holiday.

Loved Dreamliner, being short does have its advantages sometimes.

Villa is delineate lay growing on us, but I've decided next time we go it'll be a DIY holiday, so we get to chose location and villa.
Old 12 Aug 14, 01:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Wozi
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Col&Ali View Post
I am feeling your pain You were truly spoilt with your last 2 villas but if you feel this isn't worthy then you must say something. I'm not familiar with this area ... Will google it tomorrow.

Hope you had a lovely first day.

Ali
x
Thanks Ali. Villa is definitely growing on us. It's the decor/furniture in the lounge I'm most disappointed with. Not what I would call gold standard. Location isn't too bad, it's Clermont. Definitely going to do DIY next time, so we can chose the area and villa. We had a lovely day today, even though the weather has been pretty rainy.

x