Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
Ocean Florida
Unread 30 Jul 19, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Bit of a hiccup yesterday. Our buyers want to reduce the price as the kitchen is older than they thought They were happy with it until they asked how old it was and suddenly 10 years old is too old! Seriously Our estate agent says she will get it sorted. They are querying why we said "recently re-fitted" when it is 10 years old but the refit bit is because 3 years ago I had new granite worktops and built in dishwasher and washing machine. If I had a choice I would pull out as I think they are going to be trouble, well even more than they are being so far.

BTW both their homebuyers and mortgage survey have said the value is ok and nothing about the kitchen!
Unread 30 Jul 19, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Jan
VIP Dibber

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Regarding pitch fibre drains, our DD bought a house with these drains, which needed work. The vendor had the work carried out and was covered under his house insurance.
Unread 30 Jul 19, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Regarding pitch fibre drains, our DD bought a house with these drains, which needed work. The vendor had the work carried out and was covered under his house insurance.
Thats what we thought was happening but something strange is going on so they are going to knock off some money and we will do it when we move in. Wondering if they don't have insurance or something? Anyway it could all come to an end if our buyers get stroppy Just waiting to hear from both agents
Unread 30 Jul 19, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Very Serious Dibber

Hope you can get things worked out ok
Talland 2016 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Our WDW Holiday.
Unread 4 Aug 19, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Talland 2016 View Post
Hope you can get things worked out ok
Thank you, yes we have finally.

We have agreed to lower our price and include a couple of bits - not what we really wanted to do but it is worth it to get the house we want!

With the house we are buying they are waiting for a quote for the work that needs done on the drains then they will reduce their price accordingly. Hopefully when all that is done we can exchange and get a date. I have had removers round to quote and neither seemed surprised at how much stuff we had (which surprised me! ) However there is quite a big difference between the 2 quotes so far - I will see what the 3rd says before we make up our minds which one. We need to decide soon as they will supply boxes once we have booked them and that is what we need now!
Unread 6 Aug 19, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

We have heard back from the house we are buying and they are reducing the price as per the higher quote for the drains repair which we are happy with.

The agent wanted to know if we were going to change the boiler straight away and when I asked why (well you would wouldn't you! ) apparently the coil has gone in the hot water tank. They are going to replace it if we are keeping the boiler. Obviously I said it was on our list (its 46 years old! ) but not immediately. So that is nice that we will be getting a new hot water cylinder and that they have told us as well. We could have just moved in and had no hot water!

We are going up on Sunday to go round the house with them and say what we want to keep/and or buy. I'm hoping to check out the size of windows to see which curtains will fit. Maybe also take some internal photos of the garage and bathrooms for planning what we are going to do with them. Dh is also going to take his drone and see if he can get some footage of the roof to see what it looks like. The owner is happy with this and actually asked if we would do some aerial photos of the house for them, which obviously we will do.

Possibly going up tomorrow to the area to browse some kitchen and bathroom shops as well as do a trial drive to the station that we will collect ds from. He may join me if he is free, I think lunch may persuade him!
Unread 12 Aug 19, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

So we visited our,hopefully, new property yesterday. Some things were better than we remembered, however some were worse The owners are lovely but definitely need to be in a smaller one level property closer to all they need. We felt quite guilty about saying no to all the furniture etc they wanted to leave for us but we have more than enough of our own and although we didn't say it, it wasn't our style. It was quite sobering as seeing them gave us a glimpse into the future but luckily/hopefully we will get 20+ years in it as well!

The garden is beautiful, the laurel hedge I was concerned about being dominating in the front isn't. The whole house is neater, cleaner and a bit bigger than I remembered. Whereas my original notes said new bannister etc, now I think possibly if they were painted instead of red/orange stain they might be ok. The kitchen is slightly better than I remembered and the bathrooms are actually white but still dated - not sure which house I was remembering The fireplace again we want to replace eventually but it wasn't as bad as I remembered.

Downsides are, damp patch by chimney in master bedroom is worse than we thought so must get it sorted immediately we move in. Dh thinks it is just pointing or flashing on the chimney according to the drone footage he took of the roof. Windows are dated but actually only one blown. A large part of the garden with the wendy house, fruit cage, log store and compost area will really need to be cleared and probably patioed and turfed. The wendy house and log store are rotten and falling apart as is the fruit cage. The compost area is flooded and sunken slabs in the middle. Hopefully just a big labour job until it is cleared but will cost to extend the patio The gate posts are serious size, didn't measure but is there such a thing as a 6 x6 inch post? They also don't open fully and are jammed in the driveway! Think that will be a visit the first night we own it to lift them off the hinges, too much to hope the removal lorry will take them out for us The garage conversion we think will be harder (ie more expensive) that we first thought but we will just have to wait and see!

However all in all we are still very happy and just can't wait to get started. I am really going to have to be disciplined and take it slowly and do it properly.

One thing neither of us expected was the emotions we felt about the new house. We are expecting to feel sad leaving this house but not sad about the new one! Dh went very husky and almost broke my hand squeezing it when he was in the workshop as his dad would have loved it, and this is a man who does not show emotion. I was similar with the garden and general area as my mum would have loved that. Dad had done his National Service in Tidworth and Devizes in the 50's and was always telling us about it. It is very similar to the house I was born in in Kent as well.
Unread 13 Aug 19, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
jackster14
slightly serious Dibber

Sound like it is all moving along.. Exciting times.
jackster14 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
A week in the sun.
Eat and Play Card