Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Dec 21, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
nickyjw
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for all the replies. I think we might wait and see which one to go to closer to the time.
nickyjw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 21, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Aims View Post
You may be thinking about Horton Plaza, that one was in the middle of downtown. It closed a few years ago and is being demolished right to build a new office/retail complex.
We visited in November 2017 and it was very depressing. Almost no units occupied (a second hand bookshop, a Hot Topic and a few other small shops and that was it).

I thought it was a shame as I’d understood it had a bit of historical significance?

It was the only part of San Diego that I was underwhelmed by
Old 13 Dec 21, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
We visited in November 2017 and it was very depressing. Almost no units occupied (a second hand bookshop, a Hot Topic and a few other small shops and that was it).

I thought it was a shame as I’d understood it had a bit of historical significance?

It was the only part of San Diego that I was underwhelmed by
That mall just confused me, Karen 😄 I rarely went shopping there. There was no real historical significance to the mall itself, it was located in a historical section of downtown, but when it opened in the 80’s it was considered unique in it’s design compared to other malls up to that time. It was five levels and had some very interesting architectural twists and turns in it’s layout, which meant I always got lost when I was there- a lot of people did lol.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 21, 07:25 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Aims View Post
That mall just confused me, Karen 😄 I rarely went shopping there. There was no real historical significance to the mall itself, it was located in a historical section of downtown, but when it opened in the 80’s it was considered unique in it’s design compared to other malls up to that time. It was five levels and had some very interesting architectural twists and turns in it’s layout, which meant I always got lost when I was there- a lot of people did lol.
I loved it - it had so many wonderful little stores and a few big names plus food court on the roof area. I also got lost but that was part of its charm. It used to get very busy (except the roof area) but when staying at Seaport Village and working at Point Loma it was a handy mall to pop into when I had a spare hour or two rather than driving out of town.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 21, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I loved it - it had so many wonderful little stores and a few big names plus food court on the roof area. I also got lost but that was part of its charm. It used to get very busy (except the roof area) but when staying at Seaport Village and working at Point Loma it was a handy mall to pop into when I had a spare hour or two rather than driving out of town.
I honestly think it must have gone downhill since you last visited - it was deserted both of shops and people when we went

I really thought it would be a lovely unique place and I wish I could have seen it in the way you did!
Old 14 Dec 21, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I honestly think it must have gone downhill since you last visited - it was deserted both of shops and people when we went

I really thought it would be a lovely unique place and I wish I could have seen it in the way you did!
Sounds like it as Nordstrom was a big hit there - and Macys was good but the former always got me to part with my cash (oh and Banana Republic)
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 21, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

You know I do vaguely remember Macy’s! Definitely not Nordstrom or Banana R though!