Old 9 Jan 22, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
Abby that is amazing news about your flights! You will absolutely make great use of that second piece of luggage each on the way home. 😁 the choices really are endless for your accommodation (availability pending of course!). Would it be worth seeing what DVC availability there is for that 5 nights and trying somewhere you haven’t stayed before? We personally don’t mind swapping hotels after a night or two but seeing as it has been such a long time between visits, you might prefer to not move around so much? Isn’t it exciting to be able to have these excellent dilemmas again after such a long time! #holidayplanningagain!
You're right it is great dilemma to have and it's brilliant to be trip planning again. I think we may go for somewhere we've not been to before. I like the idea of trying out different hotels, it's more the idea of packing, unpacking, packing again that I'm not looking forward to. And not being able to check in until later in the day will also be a pain as we do usually like to chill out in the room in the afternoon. We'll see...

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 22, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Leelashpurple
Excited about Disney

Rather than a case each why not use each case for a different part of your stay so other than shoes, ears and toiletries you only need to deal with one case per hotel? After you arrive you can split your luggage into 6 bags as well ready for the premium home!
Leelashpurple is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 22, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by Leelashpurple View Post
Rather than a case each why not use each case for a different part of your stay so other than shoes, ears and toiletries you only need to deal with one case per hotel? After you arrive you can split your luggage into 6 bags as well ready for the premium home!
Well I do love to use packing cubes so putting together a few different outfits for each part of the trip would be fun. Both me and Kate would be fine with this as we love the outfit planning...Dave on the other hand oh my goodness he really struggles to narrow down what to take. He literally empties all his shirts, t shirts and shorts on the bed and I'm like er no you can't take 20 t shirts for a two week trip

You might think I'm exaggerating, honestly I'm not! But I do agree and your idea is a good one.

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 22, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Only just spotted this 😳, looking forward to it already 😀
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 22, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

Just come across this Looking forward to more of your planning and the report itself of course the Jamaica one I didn't realise you were doing a live report so didn't catch up until later in the holiday
Old 12 Jan 22, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by theCMG View Post
Only just spotted this 😳, looking forward to it already 😀
I'm glad you found it. You're not the only one - I'm looking forward to it too!

Originally Posted by P&S View Post
Just come across this Looking forward to more of your planning and the report itself of course the Jamaica one I didn't realise you were doing a live report so didn't catch up until later in the holiday
There will be lots more planning, you're in from the beginning now. I didn't plan on doing a live report it just kind of happened with the Jamaica trip. There was such a lot of sitting on sun loungers though that it was easy to post photo after photo of cocktails!

Old 12 Jan 22, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Just catching up, and wow, this is all fab! What a journey you've been on with DVC although it sounds like the process itself was relatively painless apart from the stressful money transfer. It certainly makes sense for you as you love to stay in the Disney bubble and now you own your own little part of it all .

It's great that you've managed to get your flights booked too - now the planning can begin in earnest! May I ask (as I've only used my companion vouchers for 2 travellers), did you just pay the full fare for the 3rd person? Were you able to do this on the website alongside the voucher booking? Or did you have to phone up to arrange it? Sorry for all the questions - just thinking ahead to when we use our next voucher and we may have more people travelling with us!

I have no solid advice re. your hotel dilemma, but maybe book something else onsite for the full 5 days to save moving around?

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 22, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
Just catching up, and wow, this is all fab! What a journey you've been on with DVC although it sounds like the process itself was relatively painless apart from the stressful money transfer. It certainly makes sense for you as you love to stay in the Disney bubble and now you own your own little part of it all .

It's great that you've managed to get your flights booked too - now the planning can begin in earnest! May I ask (as I've only used my companion vouchers for 2 travellers), did you just pay the full fare for the 3rd person? Were you able to do this on the website alongside the voucher booking? Or did you have to phone up to arrange it? Sorry for all the questions - just thinking ahead to when we use our next voucher and we may have more people travelling with us!

I have no solid advice re. your hotel dilemma, but maybe book something else onsite for the full 5 days to save moving around?
For our flights it was all booked online. Before I get into this booking for those who don't know about this, here is a little bit of info...

We have the BA Amex card, the paid for card which is £195 per year (at least it was last time I think I read this has gone up?). Anyway, we earn a 2 for 1 voucher when we spend £10,000 and it has a life of 2 years so this suits us as we cannot just go abroad when we fancy and are stuck to school holiday times.

For our card the 2 for 1 voucher allows me to book a reward flight seat in any class: economy, premium economy, business, first.. The payment is using avios points and we have to pay the taxes/fees for the flight. Using the 2 for 1 voucher means we only have to use the avios for 1 person as the other person is free in terms of avios, but they still have to pay taxes/fees. I hope this makes sense I feel like I'm not explaining it very well, so let's use the example of a 2 person booking, and just random costs to make it more concrete.

If one return flight costs 40,000 avios plus £200 in taxes and fees, then two return flights would be 80,000 avios plus £400 taxes. Using the 2 for 1 voucher means the avios cost stays at 40,000, the 2nd person doesn't pay any avios points, but they do have to pay the taxes. So, a 2 person booking using a 2 for 1 voucher in this scenario would cost 1x 40,000 avios and 2 × £200 taxes.

When we've used vouchers before we have used two vouchers for the four of us to travel, so only paid 2 people's worth of avios, but 4 people's worth of taxes. We've had to make sure there are enough reward flight seats for the flight we want.

For the booking I made this summer there are 3 travellers, so there is no benefit to using 2 vouchers. I did a search on Dave's account, by the way we have a household BA account so all our avios are pooled. Dave has a voucher that will run out of date soonest so it had to be him to make the booking to be able to use the voucher, it cannot be gifted and the person who earned the voucher must travel. In the search I entered 2 adults and 1 teenager and selected 1 Amex 2 for 1 voucher to be used. I entered the dates and the airports as usual. Then I got the screen which says the flight times and whether there are economy, PE, business etc seats available or more often not available... for this booking the avios cost is 97,500 and the taxes cost is £870.99.

The avios breakdown is 48,750 for the return flights outbound economy and inbound premium economy. As we used the voucher 1 person is free in terms of avios, so it's 2 x 48,750 = 97,500 avios points.

The breakdown of taxes is slightly more confusing as Kate is 15 so the taxes are lower, meaning it isn't just £870.99 divided by 3. The taxes for each adult are £318.33 and the taxes for Kate comes to £234.33. So, that's 2 x 318.33 + 234.33 = £870.99.

It was all done under 1 booking, which is good as presumably they will seat us together as I've never paid for seat reservation and we've always been sat together.

If we had 4 people travelling and had been able to use 2 vouchers then the avios cost would have remained the same, but we would have to pay the taxes for them. So, if you don't have enough 2 for 1 voucher, but have enough avios and there are reward seats available then you can all go on one booking.

I really hope this does make sense. Please ask if I need to clarify it.

Edited at 09:35 PM.
Old 13 Jan 22, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
For our flights it was all booked online. Before I get into this booking for those who don't know about this, here is a little bit of info...

We have the BA Amex card, the paid for card which is £195 per year (at least it was last time I think I read this has gone up?). Anyway, we earn a 2 for 1 voucher when we spend £10,000 and it has a life of 2 years so this suits us as we cannot just go abroad when we fancy and are stuck to school holiday times.

For our card the 2 for 1 voucher allows me to book a reward flight seat in any class: economy, premium economy, business, first.. The payment is using avios points and we have to pay the taxes/fees for the flight. Using the 2 for 1 voucher means we only have to use the avios for 1 person as the other person is free in terms of avios, but they still have to pay taxes/fees. I hope this makes sense I feel like I'm not explaining it very well, so let's use the example of a 2 person booking, and just random costs to make it more concrete.

If one return flight costs 40,000 avios plus £200 in taxes and fees, then two return flights would be 80,000 avios plus £400 taxes. Using the 2 for 1 voucher means the avios cost stays at 40,000, the 2nd person doesn't pay any avios points, but they do have to pay the taxes. So, a 2 person booking using a 2 for 1 voucher in this scenario would cost 1x 40,000 avios and 2 × £200 taxes.

When we've used vouchers before we have used two vouchers for the four of us to travel, so only paid 2 people's worth of avios, but 4 people's worth of taxes. We've had to make sure there are enough reward flight seats for the flight we want.

For the booking I made this summer there are 3 travellers, so there is no benefit to using 2 vouchers. I did a search on Dave's account, by the way we have a household BA account so all our avios are pooled. Dave has a voucher that will run out of date soonest so it had to be him to make the booking to be able to use the voucher, it cannot be gifted and the person who earned the voucher must travel. In the search I entered 2 adults and 1 teenager and selected 1 Amex 2 for 1 voucher to be used. I entered the dates and the airports as usual. Then I got the screen which says the flight times and whether there are economy, PE, business etc seats available or more often not available... for this booking the avios cost is 97,500 and the taxes cost is £870.99.

The avios breakdown is 48,750 for the return flights outbound economy and inbound premium economy. As we used the voucher 1 person is free in terms of avios, so it's 2 x 48,750 = 97,500 avios points.

The breakdown of taxes is slightly more confusing as Kate is 15 so the taxes are lower, meaning it isn't just £870.99 divided by 3. The taxes for each adult are £318.33 and the taxes for Kate comes to £234.33. So, that's 2 x 318.33 + 234.33 = £870.99.

It was all done under 1 booking, which is good as presumably they will seat us together as I've never paid for seat reservation and we've always been sat together.

If we had 4 people travelling and had been able to use 2 vouchers then the avios cost would have remained the same, but we would have to pay the taxes for them. So, if you don't have enough 2 for 1 voucher, but have enough avios and there are reward seats available then you can all go on one booking.

I really hope this does make sense. Please ask if I need to clarify it.
That’s great Abby, thank you. I assumed you had paid Kate’s ticket in cash while using the companion voucher for you and Dave. I didn’t realise you could use avios for the additional seat. The Amex yearly fee is now £250 - I’ve just had mine appear on my statement 😢

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 22, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

Yay, how lovely to read another Abby trippie!

Your dvc news is amazing, what a rollercoaster. You’ve picked a beautiful home resort. So excited for you.

Wowser at that flight price - I’m not admitting how much we’ve paid…it’s too painful!

I’m finally getting excited about our May trip and am loving reading all the reports that are starting to pop up now - looking forward to following along with your plans!
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List