Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 19 Jan 22, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMadAng
Imagineer

Mobile Need 2 cars... What size would you go for?

I need help! I keep chopping and changing my mind and the other adults in the holiday group are not very helpful when I ask their opinion.

So I turn to my fellow Dibbers for help because I know ( &#129310 I'm not just going to get 'whatever you think is best' type of replies.

There'll be 6 adults and 2 toddlers (2 & 3). I'm thinking 7 full size suitcases, 2 pushchairs and 8 pieces of hand luggage.

What size vehicles would you go for? I've had a quote from Andy for 2 full size cars. Maybe I should go for 1 full size, 1 people carrier? Or 2 people carriers?

I basically want someone to make my mind up for me 😂
DisneyMadAng is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 22, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I would go for what is practical for your stay, rather than the airport run. You can send one of the adults in an Uber with the cases if necessary.

With 8, I'd say two full size cars, rather than people carriers. Although if the price for the people carrier isn't much more, I've heard they're nicer for getting kids in and out of car seats. No experience with that though.

Edited at 12:20 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 22, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

I would have thought two full size cars should be fine, a people carrier is normally 7 seaters so seems a bit over the top. You could consider a 12 seater mini van if you wanted, you'd end up saving on parking.
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 22, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
The first thing I'd say as Loldis suggests is don't base your car decisions on two airport runs. Send some on ahead with the luggage in a Uber. Although I should admit that what I know about Uber etc can be written in 72 font on the back of a stamp - never used one and have no plans to.

We now only go as a couple but back in Christmas 2009 we did go with daughter, son in law, their two boys around 6 and 8 then and SIL's mum.

We elected to have two cars. A people carrier for when all 7 of us planned to go out together and a smaller intermediate car for when Joan and I wanted to go our separate ways.

The key thing for you to decide though is that every journey out with one car is a decision to be made by "committee"

Are you all wanting to go to the same park, same restaurant and same shop at exactly the same time? Do three of your party want a burger one day and the others a steak. Are you all ready to go out at 8.30am or do some of you need 3 hours in the bathroom before venturing out.

Personally I'd go for two cars.

Mick

Edited at 01:29 PM.
mick is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 22, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Gemini157
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

We are a party of 8. 5 adults three children.
We went back and forth with the options and in the end went for a mini van, I think it seats 15.
Plenty of room for us all plus luggage, and saves on parking if we all go to the parks together (which is the plan)
Gemini157 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 22, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMadAng
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks so much for your opinions and advice.

I want 2 vehicles. Yes. Want. I can't imagine us all hanging around together all day, everyday, for 2 weeks. I struggle when it's just my husband and me 😂

Our original trip was booked for September 2020. Guess how that went?! At that time there was one grandson so a people carrier for 7 and a smaller car was the plan. Now grandson number 2 is here so different plans to be made.

Right. One of the offspring can sort an Uber out - Mick I'm the same... Never used it. They have. They can sort. Bet it'll be my daughter's partner so he can have peace and quite from their boys 😂 hmm. Maybe I should reconsider.

We're staying at the Swan booked with Virgin Holidays. One of the perks booking through VH is free parking at the hotel. I understand parking at the Disney parks is free too as we're at the Swan 🤞 so no worries about that extra cost.

Price from Andy for each car is £590 which I am really happy with.

Just need to decide which 2 drivers to name for each car.

Oh and car seats for the boys. I'm thinking of just packing the ones I have in our car for them. I'm assuming that we can do that, and take them with us. I'll have to check on VA's site.

Thanks again for all your help and apologies for the long waffle of you've made it this far. It helps to get it all down.
DisneyMadAng is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 22, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesses 3
Very Serious Dibber

I’ve found your post really helpful. There will be 9 adults, 1 child and 2 under 2s when we go in august (thanks to Covid the babies were a twinkle in the eye when we had our last booking cancelled!). We’ve always had a car but have nothing booked this time. Currently we have 11 nights on site at Disney then 4 at RPR. I’d like a car and think we could cope with just 1 as we could Uber or use Disney transport if people have different plans but im not quite sure where to start with such a big party 🙄
Princesses 3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 22, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

I’d go with one people carrier and let others Uber as / when they want, but that price for a full size is quite attractive!

Yes you can take a car seat and pram each for your grandsons with VA. I’d recommend buying a proper bag to carry them in / protect them (plus you can save on suitcase space by stuffing the bag w nappies) - we picked ours up from Amazon. Although are actually hiring them from Avis this time as we already have too much luggage to manage with 2 pre schoolers in tow…will see how that goes… You have more adults to help so would defo take the ones from your car xx
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 22, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMadAng
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by sheluk View Post
I’d go with one people carrier and let others Uber as / when they want, but that price for a full size is quite attractive!

Yes you can take a car seat and pram each for your grandsons with VA. I’d recommend buying a proper bag to carry them in / protect them (plus you can save on suitcase space by stuffing the bag w nappies) - we picked ours up from Amazon. Although are actually hiring them from Avis this time as we already have too much luggage to manage with 2 pre schoolers in tow…will see how that goes… You have more adults to help so would defo take the ones from your car xx
Thanks for the info re VA.

I've had look at the bags on amazon. We have Cosatto Zoomi car seats. The back detaches from the base to make it in to a booster so I'm wondering if we manage with one bag for both seats.
Old 19 Jan 22, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMadAng
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Princesses 3 View Post
I’ve found your post really helpful. There will be 9 adults, 1 child and 2 under 2s when we go in august (thanks to Covid the babies were a twinkle in the eye when we had our last booking cancelled!). We’ve always had a car but have nothing booked this time. Currently we have 11 nights on site at Disney then 4 at RPR. I’d like a car and think we could cope with just 1 as we could Uber or use Disney transport if people have different plans but im not quite sure where to start with such a big party 🙄
I think I've read not to expect car seats in an Uber? So you'd have to make sure your little family unit always have the car.

I guess one vehicle would mean a van for you? Alternatively 2 people carriers? It hurts my head thinking about it. First World problems eh? 🙃