Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Jan 22, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Any Tips for a First Time House Buyer?

My son is trying to buy his first house. Are they any tips for what he should be looking at when views, what questions he should be asking?
He viewed one at the weekend He offered the asking price, but later found out they had 3 other offers (we only knew of one, an investor that the sellers said they didn't want), today he was told he did not get it.
Is there any way of making it more likely he gets the next one he likes?
He has a mortgage in principle in place, is currently renting so can be flexible with moving dates
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 22, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

He certainly seems to be in the best place. What % is his deposit? If its close to the bone - ie 5% that can put off some agents and sellers.
Does he have a DIP with a good high street lender.
Does he have his deposit funds documentation available to show the agent.

Whenever I have bought houses, I have pestered like hell when I am interested, so they know I am keen and want the place.

Also having the solicitor set up ready to move fast also shows keenness and not a time waster
Old 27 Jan 22, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Thank you for your reply. He has got quite a deposit. As its only him buying, he can obviously only get X time his own wages and this is not enough to buy a property so he has about £40K to use as a deposit, its sat on a bank account, so he can show. He has a DIP with HSBC, so is good to go. Will tell him to start looking at solicitors too, thank you.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
It's just luck sometimes. Probably the person who did get the house was a cash buyer with money in the bank. Sellers always go for the person most likely to complete.
As a first time buyer he's actually in the best position he could be because he's not part of a chain.
I think it's helpful ( I'm currently viewing houses) to be very confident about a house you want to offer on - say things like "Oh, I love this XXX it's just what I wanted" it gives the seller confidence that you're really going to stick by your offer
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

My sister lost the house she really wanted despite a huge deposit and going above the asking price as they knew others had offered. They lost it to cash buyers as their deposit is tied up in a chain even though they are first time buyers (lucky people lol)
Mum and dad the same to their “dream” house. Which I’m so glad they lost because they are actually now in their dream house and it’s so much better (1 year today!).
My best friend took a year to move because it was just a bit of a nightmare all in all.

It’s a rubbish game to be in lol.

I’m not looking forward to starting it hopefully at the end of the year!
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

If the area is anything like where I live then it's very much a sellers market at the moment and multiple full price offers aren't unusual. My sister had 4 full price offers from buyers in a good position to proceed within a day of putting hers on the market and had to choose who she wanted to sell to.

I'd suggest being enthusiastic and positive about the house during the viewing to show the seller that the house would be perfect for him. It might not be, but if the seller has to choose who to sell to then at least he's going to be thought of favorably rather than 'the woman that walked round like she had a slapped a**e' (my sister had one of those - her boyfriend had refused to attend the viewing and she came with her dad. She did put an offer in but my sister had reservations that they'd split up during the process!)
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

If the search is in a defined area make 'friends' with some estate agents so they know who you are and that you are proceedable.

Make enquires to solicitors now so when you submit and offer you can say you already have a solicitor organised. It shows you are proactive and keen.

Have Rightmove alerts set up so you can view quickly, some EAs have limited viewing slots and you need to bag one quickly.

Talk with the owner if possible, be pleasant and ask relevant questions. Do not appear to be a picky first time buyer it puts sellers off.

Look well on first viewing as around us you seldom get a second viewing before offers.

Maybe leaflet a particular area, there maybe be people thinking of selling who don't want to use an estate agent.

Don't believe being a first time buyer/cash buyer gives you an advantage it often doesn't.

Is there a local Facebook page, maybe place a wanted note on that. It has worked for me.

Keep up the momentum of your search, don't slack because you have had a knock back.

Hope this helps!
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

The market is a nightmare at the moment and I'm sorry to say he may have a repeat experience of this.

When we bought 2 years ago there was so much on the market and after viewing we could think about it for a week and even consider making a cheeky offer under the asking price. The agents were biting our hands off trying to get us to view things.

However when we have tried to find a property for the MIL in recent months its an absolute nightmare now. You have to be hovering on Rightmove waiting for properties to hit the market and then ring the day of or you don't even get a viewing. Offers have to be made the day of. We offered for her on 4 or 5 properties and lost every one as they had multiple offers and went above asking price. It's so frustrating as the agents wont tell you how much you need to offer to get it. And this is for someone who is an all cash buyer!

As for other advice, I'd just say listen to his instincts but make sure he chooses something practical in the long run. We were dithering between two houses and in the end went for the 'head' house rather than the 'heart' one. In was the right choice in the end as the super pretty 'heart' house would have been way too small and impractical despite how nice it was.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
JudeB
Imagineer

JudeB's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
My DD and her soon to be DH have been searching for a house for the past few months and have just had their offer accepted on one yesterday! Like your DS, they have their mortgage in principle set up and a decent deposit. They had previously offered on two other properties but they went for way more than the asking price.
As a pp said, I think it helps to be really friendly and chatting to the sellers - this is what won it for my DD apparently. There were 3 bidding parties and one of the others offered £500 more than them but the sellers said they wanted to go with my DD as they had really liked them during the viewing.
It appears to be really important to get booked in for a viewing as soon as it goes on the market - houses appear to be selling in just a couple of days at the moment!
I hope it works out well for your son.
Old 27 Jan 22, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Brilliant advise, thank you all so much, will get him to engage a solicitor.
What questions do you ask when viewing a house?