Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 26 Jan 22, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Day 3 Tuesday 25 January

This morning I decided to check out the on site coffee kiosk Peets. From my research before the trip, this kiosk is only open in the mornings and its not open every day.

This morning I got lucky, it was open.

I asked about tomorrow and nope not open tomorrow.

When I heard that I decided to buy multiple breakfast items or the next few days.

I got a small caramel latte, a fruit pot and 2 pots of granola, fruit and yoghurt. This cost me $24.04

Back in the room I had the coffee, some fruit, and half of one granola and fruit pot and the left over breadsticks for breakfast.

Today I went to see my LA friends, so I don't have much of a food report.

Lunch was sandwiches in their house.

For our evening meal we went to their local Chipotle and got takeout.

I got a chicken burrito bowl, rice, refried beans, fajita peppers, cheese, sour cream and guacamole. It cost $12 and was a huge portion. I didnt take a photo, but this is one I found on Google search.

Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 22, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Imagineer

Good idea on the breakfast items. It’s weird how places seem to be randomly closed.
Disney Planning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 22, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Disney Planning View Post
Good idea on the breakfast items. It’s weird how places seem to be randomly closed.
I asked at the front desk and they said its because right now its not busy during the week. That the hotel is only busy at weekends so Peets is not making enough money to stay open every day.

January in LA is off season anyway, so add in Covid and there is hardly any tourists here. Even here at Universal, its mainly locals going to the parks and Citywalk.

I noticed it yesterday , the lack of tourists on the public transport when I was going to where my friends live. Part of the route was on the Red Line Underground through Hollywood, stops on Hollywood Boulevard Walk of Fame. In previous years there was always 50 / 50 tourists and locals at these stations , but yesterday it was all locals.

Edited at 06:55 PM.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 22, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Imagineer

Hopefully the tourists will be back soon
Disney Planning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Day 4 Wednesday 26 January

Today the onsite coffee kiosk Peets was closed, so I went to the main restaurant Cafe Sierra. They have a coffee to go option during breakfast when Peets is closed. Breakfast is 7am to 10.30am

There is a table set up beside the host stand with coffee, decaf coffee and hot water for tea. They have a good selection of tea and then sugar and sweeteners. In America they don't have fresh milk for tea and coffee like we do. They use cream for coffee, also known as half and half. This has a lower fat content then single cream, so its more like the milk we are used to.

I will take a photo of the set up tomorrow.

I got the regular coffee with cream, its self service and you pay at the host stand. Theres just one size of coffee cup, which I would say is a little bigger than a Starbucks Tall and costs $2.75

I don't normally drink Americano / French Press style coffee, I prefer Barista type coffee, but I was surprised by this coffee and for the rest of the week I will be getting this.

One of my friends came over to Citywalk and after shopping we went for lunch in Antojitos Mexican Grill.

My friend is a newly diagnosed Celiac / gluten allergy so she is still figuring out places to eat and the foods that are safe. We choose Antojitos as she has had good experiences with other Mexican restaurants.

Our server was very much aware and so helpful. My friend felt very reassured that the food would be ok, as he knew about cross contamination and where in the kitchen different menu items were prepared and which items were gluten free.

As it was lunch we just had apps and water, not a big meal.

My friend got tortillas with guacamole and salsa and I got mini chimichangas.

The total came to $26.17 and we gave a $5 tip, which was more than the recommended 20% because he was so good making sure my friends food would be safe to eat.

In the evening we want back to her house and had salads.
Old 28 Jan 22, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Day 5 Thursday 27 January

Peets, the onsite coffee kiosk was closed again today, so I went back to the main restaurant, Cafe Sierra for my coffee.

This is the coffee set up at the restaurant host stand

and for the tea drinkers, this is the tea selection

I forgot to ask the price of the tea but the coffee is $2.75, so it should be around the same price.

My friends were working today, so I had a chill morning at the hotel pool and then went over to Citywalk.

Lunch was Virginia Honey Ham Sub with mayonnaise, deli mustard, lettuce, tomato and onion. It comes with an optional pickle on the side which I didn't get. I chose wheat bread but they also do white bread. It cost $7.57 and I just had my own bottle of water to drink.

After lunch I went shopping and then about 5pm I had my evening meal at Vivo Italian Restaurant. At the moment, the parks close at 5pm, and some of the restaurants only open at 4pm, as its very quite.

There is a bread service first, it was just a nice white bread with olive oil

I ordered a Margarita Fresco, which was Casa Mexico Silver Tequila, Agave, Blood Orange Puree, Fresh Lime Juice and Basil. It was $13

My main meal was Chicken Fettucine Alfredo, with fresh grated parmesan. No comparison to the one from Pizza Hut This was really good , it was $19

The total including tax was $35.04 and I gave $42 , which was over the recommended 20% tip.

Talking about tipping, one thing my LA friends told me years ago. In California, if there is no suggestions printed on the receipt, to just double the tax. At Vivo restaurant, the tax was $3.04, and the suggested 20% was $6.40.

Before I left Citywalk for the night , I got Voodoo Donuts and brought them back to the room.

I got
Mango Tango $2.95
Raised shell filled with mango jelly and topped with vanilla frosting and Tang

and
Hollywood Cream $2.75
Raised yeast shell filled with Bavarian cream, maple frosting, and cool sunglasses.

Edited at 03:13 PM.
Old 28 Jan 22, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bad Pink Tink View Post
Day 5 Thursday 27 January

Peets, the onsite coffee kiosk was closed again today, so I went back to the main restaurant, Cafe Sierra for my coffee.

This is the coffee set up at the restaurant host stand

and for the tea drinkers, this is the tea selection

I forgot to ask the price of the tea but the coffee is $2.75, so it should be around the same price.

My friends were working today, so I had a chill morning at the hotel pool and then went over to Citywalk.

Lunch was Virginia Honey Ham Sub with mayonnaise, deli mustard, lettuce, tomato and onion. It comes with an optional pickle on the side which I didn't get. I chose wheat bread but they also do white bread. It cost $7.57 and I just had my own bottle of water to drink.

After lunch I went shopping and then about 5pm I had my evening meal at Vivo Italian Restaurant. At the moment, the parks close at 5pm, and some of the restaurants only open at 4pm, as its very quite.

There is a bread service first, it was just a nice white bread with olive oil

I ordered a Margarita Fresco, which was Casa Mexico Silver Tequila, Agave, Blood Orange Puree, Fresh Lime Juice and Basil. It was $13

My main meal was Chicken Fettucine Alfredo, with fresh grated parmesan. No comparison to the one from Pizza Hut This was really good , it was $19

The total including tax was $35.04 and I gave $42 , which was over the recommended 20% tip.

Talking about tipping, one thing my LA friends told me years ago. In California, if there is no suggestions printed on the receipt, to just double the tax. At Vivo restaurant, the tax was $3.04, and the suggested 20% was $6.40.

Before I left Citywalk for the night , I got Voodoo Donuts and brought them back to the room.

I got
Mango Tango $2.95
Raised shell filled with mango jelly and topped with vanilla frosting and Tang

and
Hollywood Cream $2.75
Raised yeast shell filled with Bavarian cream, maple frosting, and cool sunglasses.

That Hollywood Cream sounds fantastic 🙊😋😋
And your pasta looks great as well
😊

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 22, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Imagineer

A good day for food the Alfredo looks really tasty 😋
Old 29 Jan 22, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Wow, another food report - hurrah

It sounds like you're having fun with your friends and enjoying yourself. Golly 2 pots of granola, a fruit pot and a coffee for $24 seems pricy to me, especially when compared to your meal at Vivo. That looks yummy, the margarita and the pasta are right up my street.

I hope you have a brilliant time and I'm looking forward to your updates

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 22, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Wow, another food report - hurrah

It sounds like you're having fun with your friends and enjoying yourself. Golly 2 pots of granola, a fruit pot and a coffee for $24 seems pricy to me, especially when compared to your meal at Vivo. That looks yummy, the margarita and the pasta are right up my street.

I hope you have a brilliant time and I'm looking forward to your updates
Thanks for following along

I know, it was expensive, but I reasoned it did me for breakfast for 4 days, so it was worth it.