Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Jan 22, 12:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Disneymaddaddy
VIP Dibber

Apprenticeship GCSE

Hi all

I have been enrolled on a leadership course to take some managers from being managers to leaders. It is something that I really want to do but we have to prove we have a GCSE in maths and English. I didn’t keep any of my certificates and not sure I even passed maths over 35 years ago and the school doesn’t hold records that far back so basically I have to resit a GCSE maths and English exam and at my age I’m terrified as I always freeze with exams ( I have never learned to drive because of the test and never went into my dream job because if exams) I was wondering if anyone has had to do the same in their late 40s and 50s.

I have asked if I could not do the exams and complete the course knowing I would not receive any formal certification as I would be happy just for the experience but as it is partly funded by the government I cant.

TIA

WDW Visited in 1992, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013

Edited at 12:55 AM.
Disneymaddaddy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 01:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Sitron
slightly serious Dibber

I applied for copies of my GCSE certificates from the exam board as i lost them in a house move. I took them in 1993. I did have to pay for the copies and do a little research into which exam boards to apply to. Might be worth investigating before looking to retake?
Sitron is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 02:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Cherrypie
Imagineer

Mobile

I’ve got to say I think taking maths gcse would probably be hard now - I got an a in gcse (1990) but seeing what my daughters have to do makes me think I couldn’t do it now. English less scary as I read and you use it more. How old are you because you say 35 years ago? We’re you first year of GCSEs (my husband was and he’s 50 now) are you sure you weren’t the last year of o levels ( or cses) ?

The most magical place on earth
Cherrypie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 04:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cherrypie View Post
I’ve got to say I think taking maths gcse would probably be hard now - I got an a in gcse (1990) but seeing what my daughters have to do makes me think I couldn’t do it now. English less scary as I read and you use it more. How old are you because you say 35 years ago? We’re you first year of GCSEs (my husband was and he’s 50 now) are you sure you weren’t the last year of o levels ( or cses) ?
1987 was the last year of o levels
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Disneymaddaddy
VIP Dibber

Hi all

I am 50 now so was a long time ago!

WDW Visited in 1992, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013
Disneymaddaddy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
pinkandfluffy
Very Serious Dibber

Yes, definitely get in touch with the exam board. You can pay for certificates which I am sure will be a lot less painful. Good luck with the course!
pinkandfluffy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Originally Posted by pinkandfluffy View Post
Yes, definitely get in touch with the exam board. You can pay for certificates which I am sure will be a lot less painful. Good luck with the course!
I'd spend lots of time doing this before sitting any GCSE again

Good luck.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
taffs travels
VIP Dibber

I deliver a similar qualification and the maths and English functional skills form part of the apprenticeship if you are not exempt by achieving the GCSE or o level then they have to be completed. Ask the college/ tutor if you can do the diagnostic before you enrol as this will give you an idea of your current skills. also ask what level is part of the course as there are 2.
Level 1 Functional skills is the same as GCSE D-E so easier to achieve
Level 2 same as A-C
If you have to do the functional skills then there are 2 exams, a non- calculator one the a more complex one where you can use a calculator but you will need to understand the methods to do the sums.
Ask loads of questions to find out what support you will get and what level is required then you can make an informed choice.
taffs travels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Enchanted
Imagineer

I'm only a few years younger than you and had no problem applying to the exam board and getting copies of my certificates
Enchanted is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Tink Tina
slightly serious Dibber

I went back to school a few years back to do GCSE Maths (previously got CSE at school) mainly to try and understand and help my then teenage DD.

It was a year long course and a few people did drop out at the beginning but it was a small group who we all felt comfortable with, asking questions etc. and when we sat the exams we all sat together in the same room, just us so I felt ok and not too nervous.

Believe me if I can do it anyone can also I still don’t understand or feel the need for algebra! 😁