Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 5 Dec 21, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

The dining credit experiment: On-site dining for $36 per day (November 2021)

So the back story to this food trippie is that I originally had a 2022 trip booked with the dining credit offer. Staying at a value, that gave me $36 per day. And I wanted to see how far I could make that stretch for one person, covering the majority of my meals and snacks, all on-site.

When the borders reopened, I managed to move my trip to this past week. But decided to keep the same dining budget, hence why it's now called the experiment. Note that I did give myself a small amount of extra budget to cover a TS meal, which is exactly what I used to do on the QSDP. Mostly because I love Homecomin' and can't not go.

Hope you enjoy

Edited at 02:53 AM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

DAY 1: Saturday 27th November 2021 - Travel Day

Didn't fancy an airport breakfast today, but started with my first red cup of the season...

Flying with BA out of Gatwick. Lunch was fine, but a very small portion. Chicken and barley...

Was glad to have purchased the Pret gingerbread snowman as a snack...

Light meal before landing, again tiny portion...

Was a little hungry after arriving at Pop Century, so grabbed some dinner from the food court...

Kid's chicken tenders, $7.76

Total Disney spend: $7.76

DAY 2: Sunday 28th November - Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios

Originally I had planned to go to the Poly for breakfast this morning, but MK changed opening hours to 8am. So hit rope drop for the first hour, then had breakfast at Sleepy Hollow...

Nutella waffle, $8.83

Did you even have Starbucks at Magic Kingdom if you don't take a pic in front of the castle?

Chestnut Praline latte, $4.25

I had originally planned to have a QS lunch but then The Plaza announced they were bringing over a version of the Monte Cristo for the 50th. So TS it was...

Monte Cristo Sandwich and lemonade, $29 including tip

Dinner MUCH later was at Rosie's in Hollywood Studios. This was honestly a standout meal, great flavour. Wish they did a kid size version as couldn't finish it...

All American Salad, $11.70

Total spend: $53.78 ($24.48 excluding TS)

Edited at 11:29 PM.
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

DAY 3: Monday November 29 - Animal Kingdom and Epcot

Started the day with a Starbucks at rope drop. Was too focused on how pretty the Starbucks decorations were that didn't notice the cup wasn't in focus.

Peppermint Mocha $4.57

Headed over to AKL for a wander and a very late breakfast at The Mara. Their tater tots are addictive...

Croissant Breakfast Sandwich, $9.36

I went to Epcot for the evening but it was SO busy that I didn't fancy queueing up for any of the food booths, so waited until I got back to the resort for dinner.

This doesn't look like much but it was tasty - very similar to how I make mine. A LOT of bread though...

Walt's Chilli in a bread bowl, $11.70

This looked nicer than it tasted. It was fine, but definitely style over substance...

50th Anniversary Cheesecake, $5.32

Total spend $30.95

DAY 4: Tuesday November 30 - Disney Springs and Magic Kingdom

Breakfast was at Everglazed, I went with one of the coffee combos. Don't think the pic even shows how truly huge this thing was. Definitely a sharer!

Reeses Nitro Combo $11.72

Lunch was my favourite TS on property, Homecomin' - always have great food and service here.

Thigh High Biscuits and sweet tea, $27.79 including tip

Went to Wilderness Lodge before the After Hours event, still pretty full from Disney Springs so just a light bite...

Kids Wilderness Salad, $7.66

I didn't get a pic of the After Hours included snacks. It was too cold for ice cream by this point, but the hot chocolate and cookies were fine. Nothing to write home about, but they were free.

Total spend $47.17 ($19.38 excluding TS)

Edited at 11:39 PM.
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

DAY 5: Wednesday 1 December - Animal Kingdom and the Boardwalk

Today was my planned "rest" day as I knew I'd be back late from the After Hours. So just a half day at AK today.

Had the rest of the Everglazed donut for breakfast before heading out to the park.

More coffee...

Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew, $6.27

My favourite meal from last time, the Satu'li Canteen bowls. Still great. Although I was on the fence between this and the cheeseburger pod, kind of regretting not getting both...

Kids beef bowl, $9.57

Took the Skyliner up to the Boardwalk for a wander in the evening but nothing appealed, so back to the food court for more chicken tenders. Got the adult portion this time but really could have gotten the kids one again...

Chicken tenders, $11.17

Dessert was a Gideon's cookie that I had bought yesterday but was too full to eat. It was OK. I can see the hype but they don't live up to Levain which is what I was hoping for. Didn't finish it...

Churro cookie, $6.37

Total spend $33.40

DAY 6: Thursday 2 December - Epcot

Another later start today being an Epcot day, since the park doesn't open until 11. First, caught the Skyliner up to Riviera for a late breakfast...

Lemon pancakes, $12.02

Grabbed a coffee for the walk around the World Showcase...

Iced Sugar Cookie Latte, $6.06

Late lunch / early dinner was the brisket sandwich from Regal Eagle. I'd seen a tip from Craig on Disney Dining to eat it with the toast on the side instead of as a sandwich which is exactly what I did. Delicious...

Brisket Sandwich, $13.83

I'd bought a cookie from Karamell-Küche but by the time I got around to eating it, it had broken apart. So stolen picture of this one. Another sharer, couldn't finish it...

Gingerbread Cookie Sandwich, $6.38

Total spend $38.39

Edited at 12:06 AM.
Old 5 Dec 21, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

DAY 7: Friday 3 December - Magic Kingdom and Disney Springs

Last full day! That can only mean Magic Kingdom. Via the Poly for my favourite breakfast on property...

Tonga Toast $9.89

If having Dole Whip for lunch is wrong, I don't want to be right...

Orange Cream Float $6.38

Headed over to Disney Springs for the afternoon. VERY busy (as expected on a Friday) and none of the food options appealed enough to wait for a free table, so decided to get the boat over to French Quarter...

French Dip Sandwich $12.24

And of course, can't not get beignets while there...

Mickey beignets $7.45

Total spend $35.96

DAY 8: Saturday 4 December - Hollywood Studios and Travel Day

Finished off the gingerbread cookie for breakfast, couldn't let it go to waste. I'd left this day free for whichever park I wanted to revisit. Which to my surprise, was actually HS.

Another Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew. I wish they did this here...

Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew $6.27

For lunch, I actually wanted to go to Woody's Lunch Box. But it was very crowded and an hour wait for a mobile slot. So went to Backlot Express instead as spotted this on their menu...

Cuban Sandwich $12.77

On the Skyliner back to Pop, I picked up a Joffrey's doughnut for a travel snack. Don't have a pic, but I think everyone knows them by now. They're fine - Everglazed was better, this was just far more convenient! Very overpriced for what they are though.

Donut $6.38

Didn't bother taking pics of the plane food on the flight home. It was even worse than the outbound. Cheese pasta for the dinner, then a cheese roll for breakfast.

They had "run out" of chicken meals but I never heard them give anyone a choice and the flight was less than half full so I don't think they had any to begin with. They were apologetic though, think it's just down to the poor ground crew at MCO.

Total spend $25.42

Edited at 06:11 PM.
Old 5 Dec 21, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Total spend came to $272.73, or $38.96 per night. So just over the $36 per night credit but it did include two TS meals. If I exclude those as I normally would when on QSDP, it was $215.94 or $30.85 per night. So the dining credit offer amount is definitely doable for a solo at a value or a couple at moderate/deluxe when sticking to QS.

Highs...
  • Rosie's All American Salad. Seriously, this might have bumped Satu'li off my #1 spot.
  • Gingerbread Cookie Sandwich. If you're there over the holidays, absolutely recommend this.
  • Orange cream float. I love anything creamsicle and also just the orange dole whip on its own so this was perfect.

Lows...
  • Gideon's. Not bad, just disappointing.
  • Joffrey's. I always get one of these even though they're never that great. I need to stop.
  • Plane food. Not sure it's the worst I've ever had but it was certainly up there.

Edited at 12:40 AM.
Old 5 Dec 21, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Thanks for sharing. It makes interesting reading seeing just how far the credit goes with the cost of food increasing at the parks.
Second time today drooling over the waffle from Sleepy Hollow as Molly included it in her most recent vlog - definitely on our list for next summer.
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 21, 12:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Red C
Imagineer

Some lovely food choices, have several items 9n my list. Shame abt the Gideons cookie.
Mrs Red C is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 21, 12:21 AM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Really enjoying reading this. I'm a fan of qs, as you know. I think there are some really good options available now. Love the fruit and Nutella waffle, and that's definitely on the list. How does the size of a kids bowl compare to an adult one at Satu'li Canteen?

Looking forward to reading the rest

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31.10 - 14.11.12
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 02 - 16.01.14
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 07 - 21.02.15
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 02 - 15.04.16
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29.03 - 12.04.17
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21.10 - 4.11.19
CBR & CBBR 3 week WDW & US, 05 - 27.09.22

Easter QSDP food report April 17

2nd Easter QSDP food report, Oct 19
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 21, 12:38 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Joshie1 View Post
Thanks for sharing. It makes interesting reading seeing just how far the credit goes with the cost of food increasing at the parks.
Second time today drooling over the waffle from Sleepy Hollow as Molly included it in her most recent vlog - definitely on our list for next summer.
Love Sleepy Hollow. The chicken waffle is good too, just couldn't quite fit that one into my plans on this trip.

Originally Posted by Mrs Red C View Post
Some lovely food choices, have several items 9n my list. Shame abt the Gideons cookie.
Yes, I was excited for them as I love that style of cookie. The store is gorgeous though, I'd probably go again just to visit but maybe try the cake next time.

Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
Really enjoying reading this. I'm a fan of qs, as you know. I think there are some really good options available now. Love the fruit and Nutella waffle, and that's definitely on the list. How does the size of a kids bowl compare to an adult one at Satu'li Canteen?

Looking forward to reading the rest
Thanks Vickie! I'd say the kids bowl is just under half an adult's portion. The only downside is it doesn't come with the hash as an option which is my favourite base. The salad was a nice light option though.

It's a decent portion if you want to snack as well but if it's to be your only meal, I'd probably also get a portion of the cheeseburger pods to share.