Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 31 Dec 21, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
kcsunshine73
Imagineer

kcsunshine73's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Should we plan yet? If so, what?

Hi! Haven’t been here for ages so feel like I’m meeting up with an old school reunion!
Here’s the deal: DS (20) is likely to be going out to work on a US kids’ camp having not been able to get a visa last year (embassy shut forever) and so we are thinking (DD,17 and my parents in their 70s and me, mum, 48, and I’ll be 49) of all going out there for a trip in summer (2022) to celebrate son’s 21st, grandad’s 70th daughter soon to be 18th and my almost 50th.
Is it even worth planning and booking flights yet?
We are all jabbed up and boosted. I have a BA voucher from summer 2020 for a little bit of value that I’d like to use if I can but it’s not the end of the world if I don’t…
If so…
I’m much more up to speed with WDW planning (I know which villa complex I like, I know which tickets to get etc) though so what are my basics here? We went to Anaheim in 2013 for about a week; ticked a few things off but would probably want to do them again as my parents have never been, so imagine I’m starting from scratch and please give me your Cali planning tips!
DL SanFrancisco to Anaheim Discovery Aug '23 ; WDW Emerald Isle/Florida Keys Dec'18/Jan'19; Dolphin, NYE 2015 DL HROC - 2013-14 Anaheim/LA/San Diego Tokyo Tokyo Disney Sea -April 2013 WDW - Tuscan Villa, GrandFlo & POFQ - Christmas 2012 WDW - Westridge, DCL Magic, ASMu 2011 DLRP - all the hotels (APHs 2007-2011) DLRP SF - March 2006 - DLRP DCR - August 2005 WDW Kissimmee - June 1984
kcsunshine73 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 21, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kcsunshine73 View Post
Hi! Haven’t been here for ages so feel like I’m meeting up with an old school reunion!
Here’s the deal: DS (20) is likely to be going out to work on a US kids’ camp having not been able to get a visa last year (embassy shut forever) and so we are thinking (DD,17 and my parents in their 70s and me, mum, 48, and I’ll be 49) of all going out there for a trip in summer (2022) to celebrate son’s 21st, grandad’s 70th daughter soon to be 18th and my almost 50th.
Is it even worth planning and booking flights yet?
We are all jabbed up and boosted. I have a BA voucher from summer 2020 for a little bit of value that I’d like to use if I can but it’s not the end of the world if I don’t…
If so…
I’m much more up to speed with WDW planning (I know which villa complex I like, I know which tickets to get etc) though so what are my basics here? We went to Anaheim in 2013 for about a week; ticked a few things off but would probably want to do them again as my parents have never been, so imagine I’m starting from scratch and please give me your Cali planning tips!
Lots of things have changed at Disneyland, not just the Covid stuff.

The first thing to do is read this thread
Travelling In A Pandemic - Contingency Plans For The What If and What Do I Do Now

Then read this thread
Disneyland Info For First Timers - Updated October 2021

Then read this thread
All You Need To Know About Genie and Genie+ at Disneyland

I have also updated the Disneyland Guide Book Section here on Dibb
Harbour Boulevard and Anaheim Hotels

Disneyland Main Park Overview

California Adventures Park

Once you have got through all the threads, you should have a better idea of what you want from your trip, and what you need to do / plan
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 21, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
kcsunshine73
Imagineer

kcsunshine73's Reviews
Oh amazing thank you!
Will have a good look. I know it’s not like Florida with all the Villa communities etc but I had started to wonder about a DVC rental in Cali, but guess they might be v expensive…
Will go do some research now - thanks so much.
DL SanFrancisco to Anaheim Discovery Aug '23 ; WDW Emerald Isle/Florida Keys Dec'18/Jan'19; Dolphin, NYE 2015 DL HROC - 2013-14 Anaheim/LA/San Diego Tokyo Tokyo Disney Sea -April 2013 WDW - Tuscan Villa, GrandFlo & POFQ - Christmas 2012 WDW - Westridge, DCL Magic, ASMu 2011 DLRP - all the hotels (APHs 2007-2011) DLRP SF - March 2006 - DLRP DCR - August 2005 WDW Kissimmee - June 1984
kcsunshine73 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 21, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Oh amazing thank you!
Will have a good look. I know it’s not like Florida with all the Villa communities etc but I had started to wonder about a DVC rental in Cali, but guess they might be v expensive…
Will go do some research now - thanks so much.
You need to read the update link I posted about Harbour Boulevard and Anaheim hotels.

DVC in Disneyland California is very different to WDW and if you can get a booking the cost is eyewatering.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 21, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
kcsunshine73
Imagineer

kcsunshine73's Reviews
Have just had a look thank you; good to learn about the Boulevard and where to look. We stayed in a suite hotel Tyra wasn’t quite walkable when we went in 2013; had orange in the name 🤷🏼 Would defo be good to be within a walk.
So DVC and the Disney on-site hotels are extortionate compared to WDW area? No villas I guess but we could look to be a little way out somewhere nice if we wanted a Villa option I guess?
Old 31 Dec 21, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
kcsunshine73
Imagineer

kcsunshine73's Reviews
Hyatt regency Orange County… just checked my signature hahaha
Old 31 Dec 21, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Have just had a look thank you; good to learn about the Boulevard and where to look. We stayed in a suite hotel Tyra wasn’t quite walkable when we went in 2013; had orange in the name 🤷🏼 Would defo be good to be within a walk.
So DVC and the Disney on-site hotels are extortionate compared to WDW area? No villas I guess but we could look to be a little way out somewhere nice if we wanted a Villa option I guess?
Villas at Disneyland are not really a thing. The top two priorities are being close to either pedestrian entrance if you don't have a car and budget.

If you want to have a base to other things such as Universal Studios (Burbank), Hollywood or Santa Monica area most people do a two location stay. Again villas are not really a thing for Burbank, Hollywood or Santa Monica.

I would advise against looking at AirBnB / Virbo in Anaheim for Disneyland. The City of Anaheim has effectively banned short term lets and I have read many horror stories of people turning up and no accommodation or being told to pretend they are relatives of the host, because the host is operating an illegal short term let.
Old 31 Dec 21, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Hyatt regency Orange County… just checked my signature hahaha
I just checked that on the map. That for me would be way too far from the parks. The only way I would stay there is if hiring a car and driving to Disneyland every day.
Old 31 Dec 21, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Accommodation, if you want to rent a villa, may be an issue but a couple of hotels I use (Miramar in Santa Monica and Chateau Marmont in Hollywood both have bungalows to hire in their grounds (as I guess many others do too) - I have used both extensively and are wonderful infact I have one booked Incase I test positive on return (I am out here right now)

I went to Universal yesterday afternoon and doing Disney on Sunday. Universal was practically deserted due to spike in covid here. I do zero planning or pre-booking as its not needed in California unlike Florida. I get to do what I want and what I want to see without planning my days in advance - that may not wrk for everyone but it does for me and my California friends (chilled vibe)

Air BnB are certainly picking up especially in Palm Springs which surprised me given they are not entirely legal. Apparently covid has changed how things are views by the city (council) and they are now kinda accepted but not sure I would book one just yet.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 21, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I like Megaflyer don’t bother planning.

It’s simply not needed in the California parks..

I’ve not long come back from Disneyland , and have another trip in February and as usual we didn’t / won’t plan

There’s loads of hotels ( some are suites ) in walking distance, or a short shuttle bus ride away . We most recently stayed at the Hilton Anaheim, lovely hotel and about a 20 min walk , I’ve previously stayed at The Castle & Desert Palms ( both multiple times )

Not really decided where to stay in Feb yet.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List