Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 8 Jan 22, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Cooked rice - lasts how long?

Want to take small bento boxes to work with rice, chicken and few veg in.

Once at work reheat the rice in the microwave.

If I cook a batch of rice on a Sunday night, how long could the rice be ok to reheat and eat that week?
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 22, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I don't keep mine for longer than 3 days but if you wanted to cook up a big batch (we have a Zojirushi rice cooker and sometimes do this) you could portion the rice up and freeze it.

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 22, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

i generally try to use it within three days, but i had some last month that had been in an airtight tub in the fridge for a week, and it was still ok. just fried it up in the wok, added a bit more garlic/ginger/chili, some lao gan ma black bean paste and a handful of chopped meat that also needed using from another meal, and i didnt die (or throw up/feel off afterwards)

its all about keeping it out the danger zone, temperature-wise. leaving it out to cool is good (before sealing in a tub and sticking in the fridge, but if you can, stick it in the tube, in a bowl of ice water, it will cool it down a lot quicker, meaning you probably get an extra day or two out of it. its more about what youve cooked it with previously. if its plain/egg fried rice, youre probably good for a week, but if youve added meat/veg (or even worse, seafood) then try to use within 3 days

most restaurants use precooked and cooled rice, the problem is you dont know how fresh it is, thats why you should always eat takeaway/doggie bag meals/rice within a day or two, but if youve cooked it yourself, you know how old the rice is, so you can take more of a risk!

hth

*edit*
this stuff is amazing, theres a bunch of varieties (peanut, crispy chilli, tofu chunks, etc) but ive not had a bad one yet. add a tablesoon of this to any meal (soup works well!) to give it a little somethin somethin!

amazon/Laoganma-Bl...f_=as_li_ss_tl

if you have an asian supermarket nearby, you can pick it up for a couple of quid, so go there if you can, some of the larger mainstream supermarkets in predominately asian areas are particularlky good, im sure the asda in hyson green in notts has this on the shelves, along with all sorts of other strange and wonderful pastes and concoctions/snacks. take a punt and buy a few random things yiu like the look of, and see how you get on! (i do this at our local big polish supermarket too!)

Edited at 07:08 PM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 22, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Thanks all!
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Two days. Leftover rice is one of the biggest causes of food poisoning
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I have always thought it was a bad idea to reheat rice. If I take it to work for lunch I take a half pouch of the microwaveable rice.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Peter H
VIP Dibber

If you are a bit Squeamish pass passed this reply.
Certain germ spores can remain in rice not cooked properly. Then germinate. Keeping the rice chilled 5 degrees centigrade or below slows down the reproduction of germs to a safe point. Above 65 and they start to die. This does a the danger zone mentioned. I would professionally always re heat to a minimum of 82 degrees. Only reheat once. Re heat to piping hot. Professionally I would not use rice more than one day after cooking. If you are taking it to work take it from the fridge straight into a cool bag, then straight into the fridge at work.

Edited at 06:55 PM.
Peter H is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

I've always been aware of the dangers of reheating rice. I've kept rice to the next day and never been ill as a result / just make sure you heat it fully. A bit like chicken
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 22, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
Two days. Leftover rice is one of the biggest causes of food poisoning
This!
After having food poisoning from rice from a takeaway I would only eat rice that I had made at home the following day. I was horribly ill for nearly a week. Rice is quick and easy to cook, it just isn’t worth the risk IMO.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by AntonyJ View Post
Want to take small bento boxes to work with rice, chicken and few veg in.

Once at work reheat the rice in the microwave.

If I cook a batch of rice on a Sunday night, how long could the rice be ok to reheat and eat that week?
If you have access to a microwave at work, why not just take something like small Veetee microwave rice packets.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List