Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Old 14 Jan 22, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
SarasotaScottie
Helping Minnie

Taking power tool home- hand or hold luggage?

I might just strangle my husband- he’s bought a Milwaukee nail gun (an air one not battery) and I have no idea whether it would be safer packed in hand luggage or in the suitcase. I don’t want to get it wrong and have it confiscated

I tried to post a link but can’t as I’m not allowed to post links/images

And while it can’t do any damage without being connected to a compressor I’m well aware it looks very like an offensive weapon and think the chances of getting it home are slim to non existent.

Any words of wisdom from someone who may have taken home similar would be appreciated.
SarasotaScottie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SarasotaScottie View Post
I might just strangle my husband- he’s bought a Milwaukee nail gun (an air one not battery) and I have no idea whether it would be safer packed in hand luggage or in the suitcase. I don’t want to get it wrong and have it confiscated

I tried to post a link but can’t as I’m not allowed to post links/images

And while it can’t do any damage without being connected to a compressor I’m well aware it looks very like an offensive weapon and think the chances of getting it home are slim to non existent.

Any words of wisdom from someone who may have taken home similar would be appreciated.
Check with your airline but I would be doubtful you can bring it home, either in checked luggage or carry on
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

As long as it can’t deploy you can put it in checked luggage in its own hard case
Expect your bags to be opened though
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

I’d put it in the hold baggage. If it’s confiscated you won’t know until you get home. If it’s in hand luggage and they say you can’t take it, you could be delayed and if you’re anything like me, embarrassed ! 😳
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 22, 12:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Could you send it home seperately via post/DHL etc? Might be expensive though if it’s bulky/heavy?

It’s the sort of thing my DH would do too! 🙀

Edited at 12:49 AM.
Bootrip2 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 22, 01:04 AM  
Link to this Post
john w
Getting Excited

I cant see why it wouldn't be. This from a quick Goole.
Search “staplers” on the TSA “what can I bring” page, and the results are “yes,” for both carry-on and checked bags. However, nail guns are listed separately and are permitted only in checked bags. No “engine-powered equipment” containing the slightest bit of residual fuel, including vapors, is allowed
john w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 22, 02:45 AM  
Link to this Post
SarasotaScottie
Helping Minnie

I’ll be happier if we put it in the checked luggage so that it can be scanned/searched etc. In 20+ trips via Tampa we have a 100% search rate on every single piece of hold luggage. At one stage I had more than 50 of those pieces of card that the TSA put in the case to show it’s been checked.
I suspect it’s something to do with the random tools, and pieces of stuff that hubby has bought over the years- although I will admit to the purchase of a vintage tractor seat which went home in checked luggage.

I’m sure the TSA team must wonder about the owners of the luggage they search
SarasotaScottie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 22, 02:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

We’ve taken all sorts of things home from a huge sky kennel no dog in it the first time but dog has used it for his trips to Florida to a 9 ft pink flocked Christmas tree and yes i could paper a wall with custom notices
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 22, 05:49 AM  
Link to this Post
SarasotaScottie
Helping Minnie

Update - we packed it, in the original box, directly in the hold luggage and it made it home safely. And for the first time in more than 20 years there was no TSA ticket 8n either suitcase.

Not sure if there are less checks at MCO (we had a flight change) or if covid is impacting search levels.
Old 25 Jan 22, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
RC22
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by SarasotaScottie View Post
I might just strangle my husband- he’s bought a Milwaukee nail gun .

Not all heroes wear capes...
March 2010 I-Drive Quality Inn International Nov 2011 I-Drive Homewood Suites Oct 2012 The Dibb fave Coral's Villa Lindfields Aug 2013 Blue Heron Resort Aug 2014 NY & Orlando Cane Island 10yr Wedding Anniversary., Oct 2016 Windsor Palms, Royal Pacific and Disney Dream Cruise , Aug 2017 Emerald Island Oct 2019 Emerald Island & Vero Beach Aug 22 Glenbrook villa The First Bite That Gets You Hooked. Trip Report
RC22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List