Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 22 Jan 22, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stitchesmumanddad View Post
I think its disgraceful and racist of Disney to do this. Ive had all sorts of problems whilst over here. I have two phones with me. The spare phone WITHOUT a sim is usually the phone (on Disney wi fi ) that lets me book stuff etc
i think you perhaps need to look up what the term racism means.
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 22, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Lindaelaine View Post
I'm curious as to what you mean by this seeing as the subject is about ADR's.
Its about being from the UK and being prevented / stopped or caused extreme difficulty in using the USA site or App ! When you get here you’ll maybe understand. Another example - Checking in at restaurants ONLY take a USA number and notifications dont go to foreign phones, even using a VPN. But if you are happy being treated as a second class customer by Disney systems enjoy it ! Discrimination can be direct or indirect as it happens
Old 22 Jan 22, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sully301 View Post
i think you perhaps need to look up what the term racism means.
Have a read of this 94 page discussion document on in indirect discrimination if you like

rm.coe.int/discrimination-ar...ing/1680925d73
Old 22 Jan 22, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
GillyD
Very Serious Dibber

However Disney treat us all as equals when it comes to paying the bill - no discount for a lesser service I would imagine
GillyD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 22, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Its about being from the UK and being prevented / stopped or caused extreme difficulty in using the USA site or App ! When you get here you’ll maybe understand. Another example - Checking in at restaurants ONLY take a USA number and notifications dont go to foreign phones, even using a VPN. But if you are happy being treated as a second class customer by Disney systems enjoy it ! Discrimination can be direct or indirect as it happens
I've put this down to yet another budget cut rather than intentional discrimination tbh, as it's only been post-Covid that it's had so many issues. I don't know about Disney IT staff specifically but so many companies went down to "keep the lights on" mode on the IT side and let go of a lot of staff during Covid. It's been raised to their IT but they "can't see a problem" which says to me they've lost a lot of system knowledge. Really common in the industry, I know if I left my job tomorrow there would be SO many knowledge gaps on the system.

The text issue is most likely due to their SMS provider. Several don't do international numbers, especially post-GDPR. They could probably use an alternate provider but see above point. Budget.

Edited at 11:00 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 22, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

Have a read of this 94 page discussion document on in indirect discrimination if you like

rm.coe.int/discrimination-ar...ing/1680925d73
It's not racism, it's a company choosing to not allow people from other countries access certain things. Companies do it all the time. Their company, their choice.
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 22, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
I've put this down to yet another budget cut rather than intentional discrimination tbh, as it's only been post-Covid that it's had so many issues. I don't know about Disney IT staff specifically but so many companies went down to "keep the lights on" mode on the IT side and let go of a lot of staff during Covid. It's been raised to their IT but they "can't see a problem" which says to me they've lost a lot of system knowledge. Really common in the industry, I know if I left my job tomorrow there would be SO many knowledge gaps on the system.

The text issue is most likely due to their SMS provider. Several don't do international numbers, especially post-GDPR. They could probably use an alternate provider but see above point. Budget.
But we are talking about a multi billion dollar company. We have seen their genius in their latest rides, especially Rise of the Resistance, and the use of beyond belief IT systems but they cannot pay out to have an IT system that treats all their patrons equally. As we know discrimination can be direct and indirect, intentional or unintentional - it still has the same effect to marginalise the recipient - and Im not being dramatic here. As an annual passholder and DVC owner I would expect better. As mentioned above, no system prevented me from buying stuff !

A google search reveals this is an ongoing issue and pointed out to Disney many times. Here is a screen grab of the messages I have been getting. I was on Disney wi fi right in the middle of the park when I got this lol

Dont get me wrong, I love Disney and I’m having a wonderful fantastic time here ( despite the crowds) , but its incredibly frustrating trying to use their systems as an “outsider” and have equal opportunity to booking hard to come by ADR’s.

Edited at 11:25 PM.
Stitchesmumanddad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 22, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sully301 View Post
It's not racism, it's a company choosing to not allow people from other countries access certain things. Companies do it all the time. Their company, their choice.
Not even going to attempt to argue with that logic ! Lol
Old 23 Jan 22, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

But we are talking about a multi billion dollar company.
Yes we are, but that doesn't mean they're not massively underfunding the parks right now. The current DPEP budget is the lowest it's been in years. And that money has to include actually finishing Tron and Epcot, so it's not going to leave much else for day to day operation.

When you fail to invest and also cut huge numbers of your workforce, you will not only lose knowledge but then also struggle to hire good people to replace them. Especially in IT as many developers tend to follow either the money or the latest tech, they don't want to be stuck working on ageing systems.

From my 25 years of experience in the industry, you absolutely get what you pay for when it comes to both system choice and staff.

We have seen their genius in their latest rides, especially Rise of the Resistance, and the use of beyond belief IT systems but they cannot pay out to have an IT system that treats all their patrons equally.
Imagineering is a completely separate division though. And one they used to put a lot of value in. But even that has had issues in recent years, while RotR is good, the land is half what it was supposed to be due to budget cuts. And large parts of the Epcot renovation have been cut as well, conveniently due to Covid but I can almost guarantee that it would have happened anyway as everything has been cut for years now. Basically since Chapek became the chairman of Parks & Resorts, now DPEP.

FWIW, I expect Imagineering to also hugely struggle developing new attractions as they lost a LOT of staff due to the forced Lake Nona relocation.

As we know discrimination can be direct and indirect, intentional or unintentional - it still has the same effect to marginalise the recipient - and Im not being dramatic here. As an annual passholder and DVC owner I would expect better. As mentioned above, no system prevented me from buying stuff !
You are definitely within your rights to expect better. But sadly, it's just not what DPEP is at the moment. The Chapek way is pay more for less. And the budget cracks are starting to appear (based on your report, quite literally at TL!) on show.

Edited at 02:52 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List