Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 24 Jan 22, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Solo In LA, The Food Report - Complete - Final Thoughts

Well I finally made it to LA

This will be for my food reviews only and I'll try to update day by day. I'll do a proper trip report when I get home.

This first post will have a clickable index so that you can easily find the posts without having to scroll through the entire thread

Update Saturday 5 February
I am now home and I have started my main trip report which can be found here
Solo In LA and Disneyland, No Car, An Emotional Return

Day 1 Sunday 23 January
Delta Flight Dublin to JFK
Food at Terminal 4 JFK
Delta Flight JFK to LAX

Day 2 Monday 24 January
Hilton LAX
Universal Citywalk

Day 3 Tuesday 25 January
Chipotle Mexican Grill

Day 4 Wednesday 26 January
Antojitos Mexican Grill Universal Citywalk

Day 5 Thursday 27 January
Firehouse Sub Citywalk
Vivo Italian Restaurant Citywalk
Voodoo Donuts

Day 6 Friday 28 January
Trader Joes Salad and Fruit

Day 7 Saturday 29 January
Peets Breakfast Hilton Universal Hollywood
La Brea Bakery Express Downtown Disney

Day 8 Sunday 30 January
Disneyland Main Park

Day 9 Monday 31 January
Lunar New Year Food Festival at California Adventures

Day 10 Tuesday 1 February Downtown Disney
La Brea Bakery Breakfast
Tangaroa Terrace Tropical Bar & Grill at Disneyland Hotel
Craftsman Bar at Grand California Hotel

Day 11 Wednesday 2 February
Disneyland Main Park

Day 12 Thursday 3 February
Downtown Disney

Day 13 Friday 4 February - Travel Home Day
Lax Airport
LAX to JKF
JFK Airport
JFK to Dublin

Final Thoughts

Edited at 05:01 PM.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 22, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Dublin Airport Terminal 2

I had my usual tall caramel latte and ham and cheese croissant from Starbucks. I forgot to take a photo, but I'm sure everyone is familiar.

Transatlantic Delta Dublin to JFK

Lunch, served about 90 minutes after leaving Dublin.
There was an open drinks service , both soft drinks and alcohol. I just had a glass of white wine, but the people in front of me took full advantage and had multiple round of cans of beer throughout the flight.

The choice was Thai Green Curry or 3 Cheese Tortellini.

I chose Thai Green Curry.

It came with a cheese, grape, pinenut and hummus salad pot and a little pot of salted caramel icecream. The Thai Green Curry and icecream were really good, the salad pot not so much.

About 2 hours before arrival at JFK we had a snack service.
The choice was onion and goats cheese pizza wrap or BBQ chicken pizza wrap. I had the BBQ chicken pizza wrap, which was spicier than expected. There was a Lily Obrien Passion fruit mousse which was really good
There also a drinks service, again soft drinks or alcohol, I just got water.

Then about 1 hour before arrival in LA we had a final snack and drinks service.

This was biscuit, museli bar and mini cheese biscuit snacks. I got coffee.

Food at JFK

At JFK I got a burger and fries from Shake Shack. I have eaten at Shake Shack on a previous visit to LA so I knew the burger was good. This cost $13.15 including tax. I used my prepay card at the self order machine and then waited about 10 minutes at the pick up area.

I went to my gate area and found a quite place to eat.

JFK To LAX

The second flight JFK to LAX was a domestic flight so everything had to be paid for.

I bought some fruit and water at JFK to bring on the flight.

On the flight they came around twice with snacks and drinks.

Both times I got orange juice and the snacks, Anything else had to be paid for.

When I got to my hotel, it was after 9pm, so I didnt get any food, just had some left over snacks from the flight.

Edited at 07:10 PM.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 22, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Andy
Imagineer

Love a Shake Shack.
Mr Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 22, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Andy View Post
Love a Shake Shack.
SNAP 🙊
Was just going to say the same thing 🤣🤣
I’ve pencilled it in for arrival day at Boston 😋

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 22, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Thanks, love a travel day and will add you into the reports tracker!
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 22, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

The inflight food looks pretty good, and that burger even better
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 22, 06:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Day 2 Monday 24 January

I stayed overnight at Hilton Embassy Suites North at LAX airport, as my flight got in late and I knew I would just want to crash and have a relaxing morning.

Breakfast is included in the room rate. When I was doing my research in December, the most recent info was that the breakfast was a grab and go bag. Free food is free food , so I wasn't that bothered. However when I checked in I found out that the breakfast has gone back to a buffet. To sit at a table you need to show proof of vaccine but you can take food back to your room.

I wasn't too sure if I would have breakfast, as I'm not took keen on buffets anymore. I woke up early though and decided to go and have a look, and at least see what was on offer.

I went down about 6.30am and there was no guests and the staff were still setting up, so I decided to have some food.

The buffet was basic and typically American.

Toast and bagels, 2 types of Cherrios cereal, tea, coffee, fruit juice and soft drinks fountain, and the hot food was burger patties, hash browns and scrambled eggs. The only fruit were oranges and apples.

I just got a plain bagel, a cinnamon and raison bagel, cream cheese and orange juice.

I decided not to get coffee at the buffet but made coffee in the room.

I had brought some Kenko Duo coffee pots with me. I get these in a box of 6 in Tesco. These are micro ground coffee and milk power and all you do is add hot water to both and you get almost the same coffee as a Tassimo machine. I used the room coffee maker to make the hot water and used my silicon travel mug

After using Midwilshuttle car service to transfer from the LAX Airport to Hilton Universal, I had lunch at Citywalk.

I didnt really want to have a big meal but I wanted something to fill me up, so I had Chicken Alfredo Pasta, cheesy breadstick and a drink meal at Pizza Hut Express / KFC in the upper food court area of Citywalk. This cost me $16.41.

The pasta was good, not restaurant quality of course, but decent enough for being fast food. The bread I tasted and it was nice, but I didn't eat it, and brought it back with me for breakfast in the morning. It came with a tomato dipping sauce, this tasted like the tomato sauce from the pizzas. Nice enough when its on a pizza but not really with just bread. I left the tomato sauce. I got Pepsi as a drink, and again only drank half of it with my pasta and took it with me and drank it as I walked around the shops. The two little packets are dried parmesan cheese.

I didn't have a proper evening meal, I got Ben and Jerrys icecream and brought it back to the room and just snacked on the left over biscuits and nuts from the flight.

Edited at 06:24 AM.
Old 25 Jan 22, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Imagineer

Those coffee pods you bought sound good, will have to take a look at those.
I know you didn’t like the sauce with the breadsticks but I have to say I do and have always wondered why you couldn’t get them over here. Our first night late meal always used to be the breadsticks and a pizza!
Disney Planning is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 22, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Disney Planning View Post
Those coffee pods you bought sound good, will have to take a look at those.
I know you didn’t like the sauce with the breadsticks but I have to say I do and have always wondered why you couldn’t get them over here. Our first night late meal always used to be the breadsticks and a pizza!
I found the coffee pots by accident. I get Tesco home delivery every week and at Halloween they put in a Happy Halloween special gift of some new promo items, a new chocolate bar, a new flavour crisps and the Kenko coffee pots. The ones I have with me here in LA are plain latte but they also have a salted caramel latte.
Old 25 Jan 22, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I love a bagel breakfast, feels like a holiday! Great tip about the coffee pods and leftovers are always perfect for a quick breakfast. A great start. 😁
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List