Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Jan 22, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

We live on a private unadopted road too Blue Nose and had our gardens removed and it all block paved as Tom posted. Our drive is on a slight slope down to the road from the house but it has been laid three years now and is still perfect. It looks really lovely and has needed very little maintenance. I can’t remember the exact cost but will check with DH later.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 22, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Originally Posted by RachaelC View Post
I’m just in the process of having a new driveway and we’re going for block paving on a slope. I can take a photo when it’s done if you like
Yes please that would be great. Thank you.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 22, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

We have block paving too, also off unadopted Road . Mine did have a curb after the grass which we dropped, found out whilst doing this it is the same curb just flipped so wasn't expensive.

Originally we did our drive ourselves with hard core and shingle. It was a bit of a pain so block paved nearly 15 years ago now.

It's still fine. I started jetwashing 4 years ago annually, and it does get some green growing through between bricks now despite re sanding. It's still good, though in all those years, I just have 1 cracked brick.
Old 25 Jan 22, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

I'm guessing block paving is cheaper than resin or pour concrete?
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 22, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Blue nose View Post
They are all actually quite similar in price in the NW. A few of my neighbours have been getting quotes of late.
Old 25 Jan 22, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Blue nose View Post
Poured Concrete can look like a dogs dinner. Now if it's laid in sections with brick pavers in between for example 6ft squares then it's ok. However concrete has a terrible reputation for cracking even if rebar meshing is put in it. The imprinted 'coloured' concrete drives can be lethal when wet as they get slippery. Ok if dead flat.

Somebody not 500 yards from where we live has one. Cracked and uneven so whoever laid it was a Cowboy.

The resin drives are good if laid well. Some look dreadful. They are very susceptible to tree root damage though.

Right opposite us the Neighbour has a Tarmac drive. Been down about 12 years and still looks nice. But it was laid well, went down hot and wasn't installed by Guys who only have a Mobile Tel No on their Vans and 'Motorway Maintenance' signs fixed to them!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 22, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Poured Concrete can look like a dogs dinner. Now if it's laid in sections with brick pavers in between for example 6ft squares then it's ok. However concrete has a terrible reputation for cracking even if rebar meshing is put in it. The imprinted 'coloured' concrete drives can be lethal when wet as they get slippery. Ok if dead flat.

Somebody not 500 yards from where we live has one. Cracked and uneven so whoever laid it was a Cowboy.

The resin drives are good if laid well. Some look dreadful. They are very susceptible to tree root damage though.

Right opposite us the Neighbour has a Tarmac drive. Been down about 12 years and still looks nice. But it was laid well, went down hot and wasn't installed by Guys who only have a Mobile Tel No on their Vans and 'Motorway Maintenance' signs fixed to them!
We were debating whether to go for a resin or block paved drive when we were pricing up for ours. I think I asked on here at the time and you swung me in favour of the blocks. I am so glad we did as a house nearby had a resin drive at a similar time and it now looks awful. It’s all started to break away around the edges and just looks a mess whereas ours still looks like it did the day it was laid. 👍🏻
Our neighbours have a tarmac drive that was laid when the house was built, so probably around 20 years now. They go over it now and again with the tarmac paint stuff so it always looks pristine. It’s lasted really well.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 22, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
What I like with the blocks is if they sag they can be taken up, cleaned off and relaid on a new road dust base.

Now an Installer will just scoop them up with a Bobcat and get them removed by a Guy with a grabber wagon and then lay new as their labour to lift them and clean them would be more than laying brand new.

But a DIY person can easily clean them before getting them relaid.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 22, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

My husband installs resin and his company offers a 10 year guarantee, they are often going and replacing a “bodge job” with the customer having to pay twice!

It’s not cheap, but it is durable and pretty much maintenance free.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 22, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Dreaming
VIP Dibber

I am in the process of having a Resin drive fitted at the moment, as we had a front garden and shared drive with next door. we are on week two and hopefully it will be all finished by Friday.
Disney Dreaming is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List