Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 25 Jan 22, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
CuteLioness
Excited about Disney

Transiting in Atlanta

We are doing this for the first time on our next trip and I’m a little worried as I’ve always found clearing customs and making a connection in the US quite stressful.

Can anyone on here offer some insight please? 🤞

International Palms Feb 2014 RPR/AKL/GF Dec 2016/Jan 2017 DLP NBC Oct 2017 GF Feb 2018 Villa Oct 2019 DL Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort Feb 2020 Crowne Plaza/AKL Apr 2022
CuteLioness is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 22, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

We ve done this connection
How long do you have between flights?
Old 25 Jan 22, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

We did the connection on our last trip, first time indirect. Found Atlanta very straight forward, staff along the whole route pointing people in the right direction, lots of the flight were transitioning. Customs line was about a 1/4 of Orlandos, we had 2.45 hours and had plenty of time to eat, wander round then sit and watch the planes land (I would always err on the side of caution on leave about 3ish hours)
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 22, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
CuteLioness
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by aqualiv View Post
We ve done this connection
How long do you have between flights?
It was longer, but as Delta/Virgin keep changing the flight times we now only have 2 hrs 5 mins… 😳

International Palms Feb 2014 RPR/AKL/GF Dec 2016/Jan 2017 DLP NBC Oct 2017 GF Feb 2018 Villa Oct 2019 DL Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort Feb 2020 Crowne Plaza/AKL Apr 2022
CuteLioness is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 22, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
CuteLioness
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by sam7 View Post
We did the connection on our last trip, first time indirect. Found Atlanta very straight forward, staff along the whole route pointing people in the right direction, lots of the flight were transitioning. Customs line was about a 1/4 of Orlandos, we had 2.45 hours and had plenty of time to eat, wander round then sit and watch the planes land (I would always err on the side of caution on leave about 3ish hours)
Thanks, this is reassuring. I had left longer initially, but they kept changing the time of our transatlantic flight later, so we now only have basically 2 hours. Hopefully fine, but not enough for me to not feel anxious! Glad to hear that the route is all well signposted and that it’s a popular transit - I’ll never forget transiting once at O’Hare to get to Newark I think it was (really illogical one, that!) and literally having to run with my huge hold bag with one wheel which had been broken in the baggage handling off the previous flight. It was chaos, really unclear where to go and what to do, and scarred me for life! 😂

Old 25 Jan 22, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post
huntmj
Excited about Disney

We did it a few years ago on our way to New Orleans. The exact details are on the airline website but i seem to recall that you get your luggage and take them to another belt for the connecting flight.
The distance is not far and staff are waiting for you to take your bags. Then you take the tram to your gate and chill out.
There are maps of the airport available on their own site and i think Delta/Virgin have them also. And finally there are lots of videos on you tube. Enjoy your trip
huntmj is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 22, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
CuteLioness
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by huntmj View Post
We did it a few years ago on our way to New Orleans. The exact details are on the airline website but i seem to recall that you get your luggage and take them to another belt for the connecting flight.
The distance is not far and staff are waiting for you to take your bags. Then you take the tram to your gate and chill out.
There are maps of the airport available on their own site and i think Delta/Virgin have them also. And finally there are lots of videos on you tube. Enjoy your trip
Thank you so much! 🥰

Old 26 Jan 22, 12:20 AM  
Link to this Post
rambocat1974
Very Serious Dibber

I'm assuming you are doing a code share with Virgin and Delta, in which case, do not worry.

We've been through Atlanta on multiple occasions and always managed to get the connecting flight.

On one occasion, the weather was not great and it was touch and go. We made it, but the staff at the gate said we would have just been moved to the next one if we hadn't, as there are multiple each day.
rambocat1974 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 22, 01:49 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by CuteLioness View Post
Thanks, this is reassuring. I had left longer initially, but they kept changing the time of our transatlantic flight later, so we now only have basically 2 hours. Hopefully fine, but not enough for me to not feel anxious! Glad to hear that the route is all well signposted and that it’s a popular transit - I’ll never forget transiting once at O’Hare to get to Newark I think it was (really illogical one, that!) and literally having to run with my huge hold bag with one wheel which had been broken in the baggage handling off the previous flight. It was chaos, really unclear where to go and what to do, and scarred me for life! 😂
Hi CL, exit aircraft and follow the madding crowd to immigration then into the luggage hall. Recover luggage, exit right of luggage hall, along a short corridor, turn left, few yards on hand luggage back to the lads on your left. Continue onward to security, upon clearing follow signs to the Plane Train, just afore you go down the escalator check the bank of TV screens for your terminal, go down and jump on the train. If you can't sit on the window seat grab a rail and hang on tight, that train is a fast mover! Off at your domestic terminal and head to gate.

Have a smashing holiday
Old 26 Jan 22, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
CuteLioness
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by rambocat1974 View Post
I'm assuming you are doing a code share with Virgin and Delta, in which case, do not worry.

We've been through Atlanta on multiple occasions and always managed to get the connecting flight.

On one occasion, the weather was not great and it was touch and go. We made it, but the staff at the gate said we would have just been moved to the next one if we hadn't, as there are multiple each day.
Hi yes, I’ve never heard that terminology but yes, we booked with Virgin but our flights seem to be operated in the main by Delta. This is really good to hear, very reassuring, thank you so much! 🙏🏼