Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Jan 22, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile Chipped windscreen :(

First time it’s ever happened to me in over 20 years of driving.

Arranged through our insurance for someone to come out today to repair but it’s actually two tiny chips next to each other so he said it needs a new windscreen.

Just hoping now that it doesn’t crack whilst I wait for them to sort it out.

He did say that it won’t be an Audi part and if we want that we’d likely have to pay the extra. I’ll check with our insurers to see what they say.

Don’t suppose it makes a difference either way does it? Surely all the windscreens are the same anyway it’s the tech behind it that makes a difference.

I’ll have to take it in to be replaced as he said they’ll need to recalibrate the cameras behind the glass.

What a pain! I know it can’t be helped but it does feel like the roads locally are in a bad state with potholes and that will cause lots of issues for car drivers, be it punctures or chips or worse.
Bellasmummy is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 22, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

I know how you feel. We had a nail in a fairly new tyre a couple of weeks ago. Had to buy a new one.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 22, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Do you have an Audi warranty? Check this in case that you need to use manufacturer's parts.

Did they say why you needed a new screen? This is often only required if the chip has started to crack.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 22, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
I know how you feel. We had a nail in a fairly new tyre a couple of weeks ago. Had to buy a new one.
Was it near the edge. Tyre places often rip off customers and tell them they need a new one. I was just told that, until I got another place to repair it for £10.

As to windscreen, shouldn’t result in more premium next year , just pay the windscreen excess. Standard screen will be fine, but if you insist on an Audi screen insurer may agree, depends on policy.
Old 26 Jan 22, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

I ad one on my van last year a crack I had to wait over a week and was worried about it cracking and put tape behind it but this was a crack not chip. I did in on insurance and they had to fit citreon screen for the tech, but i suspect that there are probably a lot more Audis with tech in the screen than citreon van hence a third party making them
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 22, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Do you have an Audi warranty? Check this in case that you need to use manufacturer's parts.

Did they say why you needed a new screen? This is often only required if the chip has started to crack.
We do, I’ll check, thanks.

There are two tiny chips right next to each other. The man said that they’re too close and that when he fills one it will cause the other to crack.
Bellasmummy is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 22, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bellasmummy View Post
We do, I’ll check, thanks.

There are two tiny chips right next to each other. The man said that they’re too close and that when he fills one it will cause the other to crack.
I think I would get a second opinion on that before replacing the windscreen. Also I would be trying to not drive the car as a pothole can provide enough shock to crack the screen, but hoe likely depends on how bad the chips are.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 22, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Doesn’t sound right to me. If it’s through insurance why would they use non standard parts. I’d get back onto the insurance company.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 22, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Was it near the edge. Tyre places often rip off customers and tell them they need a new one. I was just told that, until I got another place to repair it for £10.

As to windscreen, shouldn’t result in more premium next year , just pay the windscreen excess. Standard screen will be fine, but if you insist on an Audi screen insurer may agree, depends on policy.
I’m not sure to be honest - it was my husband who noticed the nail and went to see if it could be fixed. He is not in just now so can’t ask but it doesn’t surprise me that they rip you off.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 22, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

DH has had loads of replacement windscreens as he does alot of motorway driving, we put it down to road gritting being to large. He said only 1 of his screens has been a genuine one, none have ever caused an issue.
When you have anything special on your windscreen (his has rain sensors) its normal that you have to take it to them to be replaced.
With all the cracks and chips, often he delays getting replacements due to work commitments, we have never had one break on us.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List