Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Jan 19, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Second Star
I want to go now!

Mobile October half term

Hello! Having lurked on The Dibb since 2015 when we planned our first trip, and again in 2017 for our second, I’ve finally admitted our Florida addiction and decided to join up! The advice we got here from reading posts was always super helpful.

We’ve decided to do a third trip in October, 19th - 2nd Nov and I’ve been looking at flights since Jan 1st. Virgin are crazy prices so have a quote I’m toying with from BA (2 adults, two older children):

Gatwick - Tampa direct then Tampa - Chicago (2.5 hour layover) - Heathrow return
SUV with Avis including full insurance,
1 week Exec Plus 4 bed villa AOA
1 week Sandpearl Clearwater
£4750

What do you think? I’ve
contacted Ocean Florida and they can’t get close to this. I’ve also priced up DIY and again, can’t get the Sandpearl within this price.

Only element I could do is book the villa directly. I’ve popped a note on the villas wanted section but think I’ve left it a bit late for a Dibb villa. We did AOA in 2015 with Ocean Florida and it was lovely but no idea what BA villas are like. Any experiences?

It’s working out at £1,187 pp. I think the flights are around £675 pp.

Interested in whether you think flights will come down at all. Critical school years for both the kids so can’t be flexible with the dates.

Thanks in advance.
Second Star is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 19, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
The Duchess
Apprentice Imagineer

We are going pretty similar dates 23 Oct to 2 Nov, last went 2016. Definitely more expensive the year. I but the bullet and booked as I am to stuck to school hols with one y11 one y13. I dont think that's a bad price. I booked in bits 1950 flydrive for 3 adults virgin lgw to mco direct and Mermaid room at AOA £1100 for 10 nights.

I Drive -1990 / Windsor Hills 2008
Vegas - 2014
Spandau in Dubai 40th b day trip - 2015
3 weeks all Star sports\ cabana bay 2016
The Duchess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 19, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
U2fan
Very Serious Dibber

We also have similar dates to you - 22 October until 2 November, and are also travelling on BA between Gatwick and Tampa. I’ve just noticed that they’re not selling our direct flight home anymore, so I’m assuming it’s fully booked. Based on that, I don’t think prices are going to come down. I would get booked up now whilst the flights you want are still available.

As an alternative, can you move your outbound flight to a non-weekend date? For our dates, you can get BA Tampa flights for £387pp (indirect home via Chicago).
U2fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 19, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Second Star
I want to go now!

Mobile

Thanks, yes the direct return isn’t available at all, hasn’t been since I started looking and the Chicago indirect only had 7 seats left in economy so we bit the bullet!

Booked Clearwater and car with BA and some lovely Dibbers have contacted me with villa options so we’re going!

Roll on October!

Hope you both have fantastic holidays.
Second Star is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 19, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
HenrysDad
Imagineer

HenrysDad's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We are flying BA this year 20/10 - 07/11, came in far cheaper than VA, and by doing the car hire with them (Avis) only had to pay £400 up front rather than total cost for flights 🤗
Old 20 Jan 19, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
U2fan
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Second Star View Post
Thanks, yes the direct return isn’t available at all, hasn’t been since I started looking and the Chicago indirect only had 7 seats left in economy so we bit the bullet!

Booked Clearwater and car with BA and some lovely Dibbers have contacted me with villa options so we’re going!

Roll on October!

Hope you both have fantastic holidays.
Enjoy!
U2fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List