Notices
Tickets Theme Park Ticket questions and advice

Old 19 Feb 17, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Jessietatt13
Proud to wear my Ears

Its very annoying we are not prepared to pay the increase in price from 2015- 2017 for Universal- I'm gutted but we have decided to do Busch Gardens/ Aquatica, SeaWorld and KSC instead which is a lot cheaper including parking- Never been to KSC before and I have not been to SeaWorld/ Busch for 8 years so not all bad
Jessietatt13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 17, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by bLaZeR666_uk View Post
Unfortunately its not cheap anymore, Everything out there works out more expensive from electrical goods to clothes and food, at the best I found stuff costing the same as the uk now
Yep,have to agree,we got back in January from a month long stay and it was noticably more expensive for everything.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 17, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Infinity Red
Imagineer

We are staying at Universal Cabana Bay for the two weeks ( daughter life guarding at a Universal Hotel ) but we are only going to buy Universal tickets this time. My son is a bit gutted to be missing the other parks but they're expensive and we have done them all albeit in 2015 being the last time we were there. It will definitely be more restful this time !
Old 19 Feb 17, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post

Hmm. Well I was only there in Oct 2015 so not that long ago. Perhaps prices have just risen along with everything else however I'm sure Wendy's, Dennys, Macdonalds, Perkins, Red Lobster are still pretty good value
Old 19 Feb 17, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Danielle24
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ghostmark2005 View Post
Hmm. Well I was only there in Oct 2015 so not that long ago. Perhaps prices have just risen along with everything else however I'm sure Wendy's, Dennys, Macdonalds, Perkins, Red Lobster are still pretty good value
And Millers, we returned in october just there and lots of great value places.
Danielle24 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 17, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Bal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Its called Brexit. 25% sterling devaluation means tickets have rocketed in price
Originally Posted by mysteryjimbo View Post
Of course it has something to do with Brexit so that is 100% not accurate.
As an investor, I find the opinion that markets are decided by a referendum result on EU membership completely baffling. It's a contributory factor among thousands of others. A significant one, granted. But you can't say the current market is "Because of Brexit".

Currency markets move on thousands of variables. Anybody that points to the current dollar vs pound price and says "that's Brexit" months after the result is basically comparing worldwide economic conditions to balancing a cheque book.

It's mute anyway. The price isn't radically different and doesn't get close to explaining the OP's figures and indeed has recently improved, therefore there logically are lots of other factors. Price increases are as much to do with domestic conditions as they are international, for example, food may well have simply got more expensive for Americans as well (and it has). Inflation in that country may be higher (nearly 2% higher in the US compared to the UK at the moment). Business decisions are made as well. Theme Parks for example assessing that they can make more money because people are willing to pay it (basic capitalism).

Just a fact check as well. Sterling has not fallen 25% since Brexit. It's approximately 17%. It didn't fall by that amount immediately either, it's been falling since and is generally in a Bearish pattern, going back all the way to 2014. So, it's perfectly reasonable to say some of this 17% is just a continuing erosion.

Edited at 12:12 PM.
Bal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 17, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Bal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
This is completely wrong.
No, it isn't.

Both Disney (disney/about-us) and Universal sell within Sterling as well and hold assets within the UK.

Even if they needed to liquidise those assets to the US (which isn't a given), they can, as is very common practice these days, choose when to do this. Which will be when exchange rates are better.

The business I work for trade in all sorts of currencies to avoid exchange rate uncertainty. The only time you are really fixed to a single currency is when you are buying a commodity that only trades in that currency, like oil or minerals. It's why miners have done so well recently. That's certainly not true for theme park tickets!

The poster you are replying too is correct. Logically exchange rates shouldn't have a comparable effect on the ticket price if sold in local currency.

Edited at 12:02 PM.
Bal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 17, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Bal View Post
No, it isn't.

Both Disney (disney/about-us) and Universal sell within Sterling as well and hold assets within the UK.

Even if they needed to liquidise those assets to the US (which isn't a given), they can, as is very common practice these days, choose when to do this. Which will be when exchange rates are better.

The business I work for trade in all sorts of currencies to avoid exchange rate uncertainty. The only time you are really fixed to a single currency is when you are buying a commodity that only trades in that currency, like oil or minerals. It's why miners have done so well recently. That's certainly not true for theme park tickets!

The poster you are replying too is correct. Logically exchange rates shouldn't have a comparable effect on the ticket price if sold in local currency.
This is not true at all. The UK operations of Disney have to report their sales in dollars so have to convert their sterling sales to dollars. Disney UK is not a standalone entity

Selling a £300 ticket in 2015 generated $450 compared to $360 today
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 17, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

One only needs to see the price of tickets in Euros to see that the prices accurately reflect currency rates
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 17, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Have been doing some more snooping for all those interested. This is the current prices:
2018 based on floridatix and Disney/Universal US websites:

Disney 14nts and Seaworld 14nts - £2048
Disney 14 Universal 14 - £2608
Disney 21 and Universal 14 - £2754
Disney 21 and Seaworld 14 - £2190
Universal/Disney/Seaworld Parks 14 days - £3040

Disney website - Disney tickets 14 days - £1636
Universal 14 days £946 -
Total: £2582

Same as above but 21 day disney - £1716 + £946 = £2662

Only a few places are offering combo tickets, noticeable floridatix and Orlando attraction tickets and the increase is exceptional:

Taken from Orlando attraction tickets:

2017 :
Adult: £602.00
Child (3-9) : £575.00

2018 :
Adult: £780.00
Child (3-9) : £750.00

Edited at 12:19 PM.