Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 7 Jul 18, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Opinions of strangers is always difficult.
You have no idea what they are comparing the meal to. What kind of places they eat out at home.

It's like looking at hotel reviews on TripAdvisor , I've read reviews of places I've stayed at and wondered if it's the same place . Eating out is just as subjective.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 18, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
MarkJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
You have no idea what they are comparing the meal to. What kind of places they eat out at home.

It's like looking at hotel reviews on TripAdvisor , I've read reviews of places I've stayed at and wondered if it's the same place . Eating out is just as subjective.
I was going to post a very similar thought - its what makes the world the wonderful place we live in - imagine how boring it would be if we all liked the same things!

What makes this thread so good is the wonderful range of opinion and view - and you can even have good and bad meals in the same place - for example, our last visit to Flying Fish was just "meh" after the 4 or 5 previous had been "fab"! However its had a big refurb so definitely worth another go!
MarkJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 18, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I was going to post a very similar thought - its what makes the world the wonderful place we live in - imagine how boring it would be if we all liked the same things!

What makes this thread so good is the wonderful range of opinion and view - and you can even have good and bad meals in the same place - for example, our last visit to Flying Fish was just "meh" after the 4 or 5 previous had been "fab"! However its had a big refurb so definitely worth another go!
agreed, this thread is probably more accurate as bad experiences. Reality is even for one restaurant you need to try it 2-3 times in relatively quick succession to even out the good and bad nights they all have and the luck factor (lost booking, great table etc.). With holidays it's very hard to do that vs your local places.
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 18, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
JudgeJ26
Imagineer

Mobile

House of Blues for me unfortunately. My daughter and I had the steak ceasar salad and both gave it a big thumbs down - it was awful. The restaurant itself seemed very busy and the servers were rushed off their feet. There was just no atmosphere. We aren't doing it this year but will try it again on a future visit. It was a shame as we were really looking forward to it.
JudgeJ26 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 18, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gjdjud View Post
Ohana. Been 3 times and just never delivers. To be fair some of that is down to behaviour problems by family members but always found service poor and always a long wait to get seated.
Perhaps a stupid question but why have you been 3 times if it's so bad? If I go to a restaurant and I'm not happy with it I never go there again, wherever it is.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 18, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by chippyminton View Post
For balance, we ate at Mama Melrose in 2017 and it was one of our best meals for both food and service.
That's good to know as I'm having lunch there in September as part of the Fantasmic dining package.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 18, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by duchy View Post

Agreed. The very reason restaurants are described as over rated is because someone else has rated them highly and when you get there you don’t find it as good.
When someone on here asks for recommendations I list the places we like and leave it there. You have to hope if enough people list the same restaurants that they’re at least decent.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 18, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Licoricelover
Excited about Disney

For us it was Chef Mickey. Food was awful. Maybe we were just unlucky
Do like Trails End Buffet. We are never on dining plan and always find it reasonable for a buffet on site. Also like Boma. Both these great for vegetarians
Licoricelover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 18, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
Perhaps a stupid question but why have you been 3 times if it's so bad? If I go to a restaurant and I'm not happy with it I never go there again, wherever it is.
Quite simply the food is good. It's the other things I mentioned that let it down. Each time we hoped those elements would be better
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 18, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
YLL
Imagineer

Mobile

From my previous trip in 2014 (it could have improved since):

The Hollywood Brown Derby

OK it's probably the best restaurant at Hollywood Studios... But a signature? I had to try the famous Cobb salad. Bland and disappointing. The steak that followed was not great either. On the plus side it looks lovely and my waiter was very cool and chatty but I have no intention of going back. Expectation: 10/10. Reality: 6/10.

I wonder if we should have another more positive thread "Underrated restaurants in WDW" - if you fancy that let me know and I'll set it up! I have many more good experiences than bad ones (but bad ones are funnier to read which is why I started this thread!)
YLL is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List