Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Closed Thread

Old 3 Aug 18, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by coggie View Post
Not all of the tip/service charge goes to the server though. I was told by one they give a percentage to kitchen staff and bussers
In a lot of places 10% of the COVER charge goes to the kitchen staff etc - not just a percentage of the tip - hence the heavy reliance on tips - a rubbish waitress who gets no tips may have to pay out of wages!

That is why the magazines all say that if you don't rate the service but like the food, cut the tip in half, but if you like the wait staff but not the quality of the food complain to the manager but still tip the wait staff.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
emmafluer this is exactly why all Tip posts get closed down, the current going rate, for the last 10 years, in Disney is/has been 18%-20%, now whether you pay hee haw,1%,2% or 15% it is an indication to the restaurant that you are in some way unhappy at the level of service or food, it is therefore the managers job to find out why & try to rectify the problem.
What the servers make or don't make is neither here nor there, they are taxed whether they make it or not & Disney is well known for paying well under minimum wage.
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post

I don’t think it’s so much an indication of being unhappy with the food, or service, but unhappy with the amount we are expected to tip, and being told before we even set foot in the restaurant that we will pay this much on top of the cost of a meal, which judging by some photos I have seen on this site is nothing special.

Is this unique to Disney or is it outside the parks as well.

I haven’t got a problem with tipping, but being told how much I will have to tip is the issue here, and then having to justify myself if I tip less just doesn’t sit right with me.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
Emmaf where did you get the 15% ? Disney has been "putting" 18%-20% figures on their bills for about 10 years
Whether you pay that or not it's entirely up to you but I believe that every time you pay "15%" you will be asked if there was a problem as in theory this indicates that by "under" paying "3%" you aren't completely satisfied.

If I have paid under the allotted percentage I have never, in 15 visits , been asked to justify a lower tip.

SD
Originally Posted by greeny1968 View Post
I haven’t got a problem with tipping, but being told how much I will have to tip is the issue here, and then having to justify myself if I tip less just doesn’t sit right with me.
I tip based on many things and have often paid over the amount, funnily enough never been asked what was so great about the service/ food etc and often paid the lower end and frequently paid under the requested amount

I won’t be dictated to by any restaurant anywhere in the world as to what to tip etc.

Servers earnings are for a totally different debate. As is housekeeping tips
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

I don’t think it’s so much an indication of being unhappy with the food, or service, but unhappy with the amount we are expected to tip, and being told before we even set foot in the restaurant that we will pay this much on top of the cost of a meal, which judging by some photos I have seen on this site is nothing special.

Is this unique to Disney or is it outside the parks as well.

this is 99.99999% offsite even when using a card we tip with cash & write CASH on the bill

personally i roughly work out @10% & tip that... i order food they bring it i eat it... imo none of this warrant 20% on top of the cost of the food

very much imo of course
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Gezzs
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
What the servers make or don't make is neither here nor there, they are taxed whether they make it or not & Disney is well known for paying well under minimum wage.
SD
What the servers get paid or taxed is - quite frankly - no interest of mine. I will leave a tip based on service. If it's bad, I will say something and will not leave a tip. If it's good, I will also say something and leave a tip based on the level of service and usually a percentage of the total bill.

I agree. I will not be dictated to by a restaurant as to how much tip I will leave. As above, I will leave what I feel is fair. IMO if they want a bigger tip, then provide better service. I've had some rubbish service in the USA before and I'll be damned if I'm going to subsidise the servers salary just because they get taxed on it.

Florida: July 2009, Aug 2011, Sept 2014, Sept 2018, Sept 2024
Disneyland Paris: Dec 2023
Gezzs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
emmafleur
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I did say that I didn’t want to argue about this. My OP was just to ask how to tip a certain amount, not whether anyone agreed with me or not. Thanks for everyone’s input on how to go about adding a tip to the bill
emmafleur is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by emmafleur View Post
I did say that I didn’t want to argue about this. My OP was just to ask how to tip a certain amount, not whether anyone agreed with me or not. Thanks for everyone’s input on how to go about adding a tip to the bill
It’s not an argument, it’s different peoples opinions which is why this forum is so interesting, no 2 people have the same opinions and it’s always good to hear others views
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
emmafleur
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

It’s not an argument, it’s different peoples opinions which is why this forum is so interesting, no 2 people have the same opinions and it’s always good to hear others views
I know and it’s great to hear everyone’s views but I don’t want people to get upset or angry with each other - that wasn’t my intention. I suppose it’s a subject that everyone has a very personal view about and I’ve seen so many of these kinds of threads closed because it all gets a bit heated. I’m a bit confused about why? Still, I didn’t want anyone to think I was being confrontational about what I was asking in my OP
emmafleur is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Unfortunately you chose the wrong question, you are lucky if 1 in 10 "Tip" posts don't get locked & reading some of the posts you'll understand why I actually wasn't getting at you by the 15% comment, just pointing out that 15% hasn't been on the bill since 2008. The 3 camps generally fall into:
1 It's disgraceful being told how much to tip, I'll only tip x & to h*** with them
2 Do you realise how much they earn, servers at Cali Grill earn a $million a night...
3 It's not our country & it is what it is...

At the end of the day 2 things, it's custom & standard practice,in the US, to tip- maids,taxis,bus drivers,the person packing your bag in store...
& secondly it is entirely up to you whether you do or not but you also have to be prepared to be questioned if you don't ( & by "you" I don't mean you personally)
But in answer to your question, if you leave cash score through the tip box to prevent duplication or write an amount & charge it to your room.

SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread